EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi,

You've probably sorted this out by now, but just in case....!

We have a house about 45 mins from Granada, just into Malaga province. We can highly recommend our builders (tho not sure how far Granada way they go) - not the cheapest, but very good work. Boss is German, Spanish wife who speaks English (& German !), Spanish labour force (lovely blokes).

We had an architect (English resident in Spain) who we would definitely NOT recommend, but having someone RELIABLE onsite is extremely important if you're not going to be there. Get EVERYTHING in writing. You may well need planning permission from the Town Hall - your builder or architect should be able to sort this for you (if your Spanish isn't up to that level !) - we had a Permiso de Obras menores (Minor works permit) - strictly speaking we should have had a more comprehensive one, but that costs a fortune and takes ages. Don't seem to have such a thing as Building Control Regs in Spain.

Get quotes from two or three builders, and get them to get quotes from materials suppliers - they're not too keen on this in Spain but will usually do it if pushed !

If you'd like more info, photos of our works, &/or names, send me a PM

Good luck
Cheers,
Chris
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.