Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
not that i know of but a taxi from Dreams resort should only cost you a max of 30LE anyway.
are you sure thats only£2.78!!!!!
Hi Again :D

I'm not sure if pubstones amount for the cab is correct as I took the tour operators transfer when I went because it was free (well included in the cost :D )

However, I am sure that LE means Egyptian Pounds. :wink:
why is it confusing it would be better if it was ep egyptian pound instead of le what does LE mean anyway something egyptian
The price is about right, i think LE means Local Egytian. We got a taxi further than Dreams and costs us 4LE, which is under £4
LE in relation to Egyptian currency stands for the French "Livre Egyptienne" i.e. Egyptian pound. I expect a lot of other nationalities wonder why we British have a stupid squiggly thing denoting our currency!
Gosh Carrot, I'm well impressed, there seems no end to your knowledge on all things Egypt. :D Now all I need to find out is what the squiggly thing is that we have?

Hi marcandbrenda (in a vain attempt to keep on topic). Regarding your comment on the taxi costing only 2.78p. Cabs are really cheap in Sharm but you have to barter away with the drivers to get a good price and you need to settle the price before you get in the car.

From the Crowne Plaza where I stayed I was told I should never pay more than 30LE back from Namma Bay but we always paid about 50LE because we are so hopeless at bartering. :cry: Some hotels (like the CP) have their own taxi ranks outside and the cars are in better nic than the blue and whites, these also seemed to have a fixed price which was higher, but I prefered to pay it as I am partial to seat belts. :roll:
i did state i 'think' it may mean local egyptian. Note the words I and Think. We paid 6LE one day to Old Sharm, the driver also waited for us and took us back for that price. Mark and Brenda, i have a good contact for you, a well trusted Egyptian who will look after you and take you wherever, whenever for a great price, send me a personal message if you want his email address and mobile number. He is a great guy, speaks fab english and love english people and wont rip you off, he wil prob take YOU for lunch and buy you a leaving gift as he did for other tourists on our resort, he will even barter for you (he does not take commission). He looked after us when we were there and is picking us up etc when we go back in December. he had a great rep with tourists at the resort i stayed at (Kiroseiz) and saved us all a load of cash.
I'm not sure why you are stating note the words 'I' and 'think' in such an abrasive manner to me?

There was no critisism of you in my post. I was just trying to help markandbrenda, with details of cabs and taxis in Sharm.
I think it was aimed at me, Doepsmc. The word paranoia springs to mind!
the only bad thing about reading posts is that you dont know what tone is being used, so people take things sarcastically when they are not meant that way. I noted a hint of sarcasm so i responded with sarcasm, i apologise if i offended you and was not meant this way. You are right to state the post is about helping Mark and Brenda. email me privately please if you wish to make a personal statement about me and my 'paranoia'. I dont beleive potential holiday makers are really interested in what we may or may not think of eachother. Funny how half of the rude comments on here are made in jest and these individuals would not dare say it to someones face in reality, ie racist comments etc Irish, Welsh , need i go on? :shock: . Mark and Brenda, sorry you have to read this tripe, email me personally if you wish and i shall endeavor to advise you in an appropriate manner. :D
Heavens Pubestone, you do sound so angry!

How anyone could read any sarcasm at all into my post regarding the meaning of LE, I just dont know! Obviously, both Doepsmc and I felt your comments were rather abrasive and gave our opinions. Dont tie yourself in a knot over it!
Hi Carrot :D

I also failed to notice the sarcasm in your post. :rofl

However I am now becoming quite amused at the idea of the Egyptians naming their currency LE as Local Egyptian just for the convenience of the Brits (or any other English speaking nations). But I am not sure how it would have helped the Italians, Russians and all the other nationalities who visit.

Doe
Mark and Brenda, sorry i have not sent yet, will get it to you by Monday. I am just to busy with work at the moment.
I'm going to have a guess here as to the reason for LE.
In pre-decimalisation Britain,the currency was known as LSD(!) L being Pounds,S being Shillings and D being Pence.
I think the Egyptian currency was maybe named as it was because it was part of the British Empire (Just a guess!).Hence the LE - Pounds Egyptian.
It sounds a good story though!

David
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.