Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi there,
I cant advise you regarding the hotels because I know nothing about either, but if you are trying to decide between half board and self catering you might want to bear the following in mind;
Cala Dor has some lovely restaurants to suit all budgets, and its particularly nice to wander around in the evening, choose a nice restaurant and watch the world go by over a lovely meal. This for me is a big part of a holiday, and especially nice in Cala Dor, where there is a lovely marina surrounded by restaurants. There are also good supermarkets with a wide range of lovely produce, and places such as Family Grill which sell cooked chickens, ribs, salads etc for those who are self catering. There are not as many take aways as you might find in other resorts as Cala Dor is a little more upmarket than some but you will find some. The value of the pound against the euro has fallen dramatically as you are probably aware and this does make eating out more expensive. A lot depends on the quality of the food at the hotel as to whether you should choose half-board. From what I have heard and read on web sites, it can vary enormously , so this is something you might like to find out about from other forum users who have stayed there. I think you cant beat the flexibility of self catering - you can eat out if you wish and if you want to save the pennies you can buy the sort of food that you and your family like. There is sufficient choice in Cala Dor - restaurants such as Barlovento in the centre of town cater for all budgets and tastes, with pasta, pizza , seafood and steak. Go for the self catering and give yourselves the choice! You will love Cala Dor. :)
Hi, can't really give any advice on which to book, think it depends really what you want from your holiday, I always go self catering as I like the freedom it gives you. I have recently booked Esmeralda Park/Cala Azul self catering for next July and would be interested in any other comments people may have. Are you looking to book up through a tour operator? Just bear in mind that if you book through Thomas Cook there are four different apartments to the complex, if you go for the cheaper option you are allocated Esmeralda Gardens which I have read are quite a distance from the main complex and beach. We have paid slightly more to be guaranteed either Esmeralda Park, Cala Azul Park (both overlooking sea) or Cala Azul Gardens which are across road from the other two. I don't really mind which of these we get as it seems they all have their pro's and cons. Let us know if you decide on anything.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.