Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Calor Gas is UK only

the only gas that is available pan european is Camping Gaz
THanks. I have been reading in other places and people have been talking about Gaslow. THey have said camping gaz is expensive and Gaslow is cheaper. Does anyone have any views on this.
I think "Gaslow refillable cylinders" is what you are talking about as they also do accessories

A/ you have to buy the cylinders first about £50 each
B/ then you have to find somewhere to fill them BUT you will need to have bought the filling kit too £70 for that

Whereas buying proprietary gas you just take the cylinder in for an exchange yes the gas may cost you a little more but which way do you want it to be

Camping Gaz is expensive in the UK but is a lot cheaper over the pond (I always replace mine in France not here)

As an example
I have a touring caravan and we take it to France and Spain every year (Just two of us )
WE used to buy two 7kg butane cylinders but we never actually needed the second one

So now we use a single 7kg and a large Camping gaz as a back-up just in case
but even using the gas to cook at breakfast and dinner 90% of the time over 21 nights we have never run out yet.

in-fact I have just emptied the cylinder and we have had to use it on the home BBQ to do it ready for our big trip next month
Thanks very much. I will go for camping gaz then. My parents go to france a lot so they can bring me back a bottle to go with. THanks again.
If anyone is coming to Spain they will only be able to use a spanish butano or propano cylinder which will also need its own connector.Gaslow bottles have been banned countrywide.The only places where you will find refills being advertised are to avoided like the plague as it is usually someone who has made themselves a set up where they refill your bottle with a piece of tubing connected to an upturned bottle - VERY dangerous and it also wrecks your connector when you try to use it again.So far I have been on 2 sites where this was done and both sites have had exploding gas bottles causing written off caravans.It is just not worth it for the sake of going to a local car boot sale where you buy an empty butano bottle for usually around 8 - 10 euros then go to the local petrol station or Repsol dealer and exchange it for a full cylinder for 11 euros.Butane bottles are plain orange and have BUTANO written on them,Propane ones are still orange but have a black band around the shoulder and PROPANO written on them.The connectors are different pressures so make sure you get the correct one and ignore what the shop tells you,look at the label yourself.Job done safely and you get to sleep at night.Happy camping.Hasta la huego from a 44 degree Benidorm :sun2
robbieinbenidorm wrote:
If anyone is coming to Spain they will only be able to use a spanish butano or propano cylinder which will also need its own connector.Gaslow bottles have been banned countrywide.The only places where you will find refills being advertised are to avoided like the plague as it is usually someone who has made themselves a set up where they refill your bottle with a piece of tubing connected to an upturned bottle - VERY dangerous and it also wrecks your connector when you try to use it again.So far I have been on 2 sites where this was done and both sites have had exploding gas bottles causing written off caravans.It is just not worth it for the sake of going to a local car boot sale where you buy an empty butano bottle for usually around 8 - 10 euros then go to the local petrol station or Repsol dealer and exchange it for a full cylinder for 11 euros.Butane bottles are plain orange and have BUTANO written on them,Propane ones are still orange but have a black band around the shoulder and PROPANO written on them.The connectors are different pressures so make sure you get the correct one and ignore what the shop tells you,look at the label yourself.Job done safely and you get to sleep at night.Happy camping.Hasta la huego from a 44 degree Benidorm :sun2

Ta for that up-date Robbie I did notice very few other gas brands apart from Camping Gaz so that must have been why but what I have observed is that Gaz is cheaper in Spain than France -- wish I'd have known that before I did the exchange in France I would have saved €8
If there is a problem with getting gas in Europe a good idea would be to keep one of each on board.

Fill up one bottle before you leave the UK and when you get to the country you go through the most buy a bottle there too. Use the bottle that is easiest to fill and use the other as back up.
allanb wrote:
If there is a problem with getting gas in Europe a good idea would be to keep one of each on board.

Fill up one bottle before you leave the UK and when you get to the country you go through the most buy a bottle there too. Use the bottle that is easiest to fill and use the other as back up.

There's not a problem getting gas abroad almost every gas station sells it BUT the problem is having the right regulator / pigtail in the caravan to fit

Whilst the idea of carrying one of each you use can be a valid one the problem then comes down to noseweight and stability when towing whilst a large 4x4 might not have a problem cars most definitely will with some makers actually making towing downright difficult by restricting noseweights to 20kg less than the cars kerbside weight would suggest (some Citroen Berlingo's suffer this badly)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.