France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
did you take photos of the state of the caravan- you could include copies of them in your letter.
Glad you enjoyed your holiday despite the let down with the caravan
Oh dear - we are off to Camping Acapulco next week, we have booked with Canvas and yes, you've guessed it, booked a Millenium mobile home!

Is there anything you think I should do - is it worth phoning Canvas? think I'll pack some cleaning materials!

What was the campsite and weather like whilst you were there?
Jane
weather was ok. if it rained in morning it was always sunny in afternoon. did have rain but it was still warm even when we had electrical storm!!!

We were in caravan 69. The one next door was scrubbed thoroughly on the wednesday after we arrived. We know this because we watched Finlay (one of the reps). He knew we were watching and we have never seen such a thorough clean-up job.

I'm sure you will be fine. The reps are very nice but they are just kids and this is reflected in their cleaning abilities.

Since we came back we have spoken to people who have travelled with various companies at different resorts and it seems that caravans are never that clean. Unless of course you are lucky enough to get one relatively new.

The Vendee is a wonderful place. Visit St. Gilles Croix de Vie, the Marina Hotel doesn't look much but the food is amazing. We were recommended this hotel by local taxi driver and loved it. Gorgeous little town. Talmont St Hilaire for the marina and def Puy de Fou as is fantastic day out.

Bet you have great time.
We have holidayed with Eurocamp and Keycamp for a number of years and we came to the conclusion this year that the only qualification for the job seems to be a cycling proficiency badge. That's not to say that the reps aren't good and some of them are great at their jobs but few speak the local language or know much about the country. We got talking to one of our reps this year and she told us that the training they are given is negligible and she was unimpressed by that. She felt that the companies should be doing far more to make sure they know a bit about the area etc. I would imagine, on the basis of that conversation, that little training/guidance is given on cleaning the caravans and tents.
i have just received today a letter from canvas hoildays saying sorry for the problems we had with the caravan[not been cleaned,electric faults etc] and the lack of care from the reps and offering me £50 off next years holidays [not that i will be going away with them again]

aparently all the reps are now been re trained and the problems of caravan cleaning will be addressed or so they say.
That's interesting, because after reading the recent poor reports about the Millenium Mobile home and the reps at Camping Acapulco I phoned Canvas. They said that the only complaint they had this year was from an elderly couple without children complaining that the camp was too lively for them!

The person I spoke to said she had spoken to the Customer Services Manager and that she would have a look at the comments on this website.

I will be sure to report back when I return. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Jane
Hope you have good holiday. Weather picking up too :D
have a good holiday im sure things will be fine for you.

re my complaint to canvas holidays i think they are mistaken regarding complaints as not only did i complain, my mother in law did too as did the people we made friends with in the next caravan to us [a milenium ] too.

neither of thse have recieved any comment as yet from canvas but will keep you posted.
we stopped near st jean de monts quiet place lovely pool no probems. we alaways go independant never with companies like canvas. you get better assistance instead of spotty teenagers who are not interested. have to say Puy de Fou is good through the day night time a dissapointment
We've been back for what seems like ages but this is the first real chance I've had to post an update.

We stayed in no. 69 too! It was reasonably clean (apart from the barbeque) but the double bed kept tipping up into the air (Bon Voyage - is there something you want to tell us?). The rep managed to fix it quickly fortunately.

We found the reps to be responsive when you were able to track them down, there was rarely anyone at reception, but were not particularly chatty or friendly. They seemed harassed most of the time.

The campsite was fine, the pool area did get crowded but as we were there peak season it was to be expected.

We loved the Vendee, there was loads to do for all ages. We particularly enjoyed the Safari Park and Puy de Fou. We all could have happily stayed another week as we didn't manage to fit everything in, and there are not many places that we have been that we could say that about.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Jane
I stayed at La Yole site just down the road from Acapulco with my wife and 2 kids for 12 nights in August. We also stayed for 5 nights at a small site near Paris before going to Vendee, and a stopover at a site near Calais for 1 night on the return home. We went with Canvas. This was our first time doing this type of holiday. I was very impressed with the standard of the caravan and cleanliness at all 3 sites. The reps we met we very helpful and friendly. Alan & Tery at La Yole were fantastic and seemed to go out of their way to ensure their clients were having a good time. My kids loved Hoopi's club, Jennifer who ran it was excellent and made the holiday for the kids. I will definately use Canvas again.
I must admit being surprised by your negative experience with Canvas. Things must have changed or you were very unlucky. We have had 8 or nine holidays with them in tents and mobiles in probably a couple of dozen different sites. We have never had any problem at all. In fact I always contact them afterwards to praise not only their staff but the HR people who recruit them! Hopefully your experience was a one off.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.