Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Never been on Destiny, but the Spirit is a better ship than IE. We sailed IE 5 years ago 1st cruise, and it was a very old ship then, cabins underwhelming....we enjoyed the cruise experience though, and onboard atmosphere was good.

We have also been on the NCL Jade, and NCL usually have excellent late pricing off-season e.g. May. We would choose NCL before Thomson or IE, without a doubt. We are early 50's age. We often book via US agents, and the pricing can be much lower.

The only NCL option for you in Western Med is the Jade, sailing repeated 7 night cruises from Barcelona i.e only one itinery, whereas the Thomson/IE offering is different itineries back-to-back. Is it 7 or 14 nights you want?
Vivien-Marie wrote:
We are doing a med cruise next May with friends who haven't cruised before and they are leaving choice of cruise to us!
It seems to be a toss up between Island Escape and the Destiny. I have been on the Destiny before, around the Canaries in winter and it is my least favourite of the Thomson ships, cabins smaller and it was cold sat in the self service restaurant due to it being open to the elements at one end. Can I assume it will be a bit more comfortable in there in May?
I know nothing about Island Escape - is it younger people on there, we are in 50 - 60's age group. I have heard cabins there are also small.
Dont really want ship full of teens and twenties, or is this unlikely in May anyway?
If we booked Deck 5/6 outside on IE would it be porthole window?
I would have much preferred the Celebration or Spirit but the eastern med isn't where we want to go.
I would like to book now while the drinks package is free!!
Another possibility is the Thomson Dream due to go on sale, if I wait for that do you think the free drinks package will be taken off the other ships?
Our friends particularly wanted a casual cruise to start with, this is why I am looking at those two ships. Or should I consider NCL also?
Sorry for all the questions but they are badgering me to book and I am feeling the pressure!

Received an e-mail today that the Thomson Dream is now on sale. From what I could see the prices are extortionate for what is only a 3 star product!
Check out the prices i was quoted that i put on the Thomson Dream thread - just short of £4000 for two adults and a child on 6th July next year - a ful £1200 more than i paid for the Destiny this year.

Island Escape has some bad reviews on this site and the Destiny's are mostly all very positive.
Just returned from the Island Escape, a group of five couples. We found the holiday fantastic, yes cabins were small but you only sleep in them, if you wanted to watch the tv then stay at home!
We were on deck 5 with a nice size window in. The cabins were spotless, the shower was hot and powerful. Food was divine (try the ocean restaurant brilliant) Staff helpfull, entertainment good. Only one complaint bingo and lotto were in my mind a rip off!!! Would def go again!
I've just posted a review on Island Escape - I would not recommend it. Deck 5/6 will have a window not a porthole - please also see my review.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.