Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Avoid Spring Break which is March/April when Americans are on holiday from college over a period of about 6 weeks.

luci :wave
hi, we went to hotel riu cancun in august last year and there were lots of americans and canadians but they were no more loud then the english.we were worried about this before we went as we are a couple in our 50s and were looking for a relaxing holiday with something to do outside the hotel.you will enjoy it, cancun dos realy have something for all ages.
thanks for the advice, think i'm worrying for no reason, so gonna book for September, thanks again.
I doubt you will get away from them anytime in Cancun.

We got around the problem by getting sunbeds away from the pool activities etc as this seems to fuel the whooping!!!

The main cause of the odd over exited behavior is that they dont get much holiday time off in the US , so there breaks are short and they do seem to hit it hard!!!
Also the fact they were in "Cancun Baby" seemed to fuel them even more, lots of calls home from around the pool etc.

To be honest we met some really good americans in Mexico and would not let it put you off.
September?? - hurricane season.........

IMHO the yanks in the Caribbean are like the brits in Costa del sol.... it's their short-haul holiday

ATB,J.
IMHO the yanks in the Caribbean are like the brits in Costa del sol.... it's their short-haul holiday

Apart from Cuba of course! The fact that there are no direct scheduled services from the US to Cuba means that very few Amercian citizens make the effort. And I would have no qualms about travelling to Cuba in September but after reading here of the experiences of tourists in Mexico when Hurricane Wilma hit I wouldn't want to take the risk on Mexico during the hurrican season.

SM
We have been to Mexico several times (and ALL of them in September) never had a problem with loud Americans/Canadians. Mind you we stay mainly in Playa del Carmen which is quieter. Have stayed in Cancun and found them to be no louder than the average Brit.

Denny
no americans in Cuba but it suffers from the hell that was the french canadians.
made our lot that head to the med look like a play school outing.
We went to Cuba back in November and there were lots of Canadians who weren't particularly loud and who I found to be very friendly. There was one guy though who was blind drunk most of the time trying to latch onto anything in a skirt and sitting at random tables with people already sat there. It did get heated one night when he wouldn't leave a particular table with people already sat there and he had to be removed by security. I guess wherever you go you're going to get loud people whether they be Americans, Canadians or Brits.
Americans do indeed seem to work very hard and consequently when they holiday they like to party hard and enjoy themselves.

They tend to have very short breaks and do not seem to mind in that short space of time splashing their cash around in the form of tips which makes us English who visit typically for two weeks seem mean.

I love Americans, they have an amazing can do attitude and truly know how to have a good time.

However it can get a bit much as I have witnessed in Vegas a few times.

It is a cultural thing and if we are going to the Caribbean then we are just going to have to put up with it.

Will report back after our trip in September.

By the way I thought it was a golden rule for us Brits to stay away from the Caribbean during Spring Break.

Papa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.