Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Cypriot drivers in the main are lunatics dis obey most of the rules of the road jump lights park anywhere etc the newer roads are great the mountain roads were fine last year but when you get off the beaten track they are rough

I told my Cypriot friend i could half the accident rate over night by Taking away their hooters because they wont be able to drive without them

wizard
oh no fills me with tons of confidence driving now!!!!
aghhhh
Just remember be extra vigilant, dont speed (they now have cameras) and dont take your right of way for granted, or in the words of the iam DIVE DEFENSIVELY and you will be fine, and dont hire a 4wd if you have not been trained to drive them

wizard
I agree drive defensivley, and never ever take things for granted you have to think for them and anticipate their every move, like they will overtake you on a red light !!! if there is no other traffic around,
just drop back and let them past you ot they will drive up your backside until they get by. :x

But having said that as long as you are aware of their quirky ways :lol: :lol: you shall be OK
Always expect the unexpected and you'll be OK.
In around 15 years of holiday driving on the island I've barely even had near miss.
Cypriot drivers;
  • - don't like waiting at traffic lights
    - don't like waiting at junctions
    - don't like following - must be in front
    - all have night vision goggles - won't put lights on 'til it's pitch black
    - won't park more than 10 paces from where they are going
    - don't understand how roundabouts work
    - don't use hand signals - no, he's not turning right, he's cooling his right hand down!
    - rarely indicate
    - will stop anywhere in the street to chat to a friend/neighbour
This list is not exhaustive. Just a few of my observations.

Not trying to put you off!! As I stated above, barely even a near miss. I love driving in Cyprus and will continue to do so.
Again: Always expect the unexpected ! and you won't go far wrong.

Mark; Member of The Guild of Experienced Motorists.
In my experience, although most of my driving is done in the East, I endose everything Mark and Elizavet says.

I would also add that driving standards (again, only in my opinion) seem to get worse the further West you get :roll:

Ady
I always hire a scooter and have to keep my wits about me all the time.

To be fair with scooters you will find the cars will take a wide berth as they don't trust the scooter riders. The coach drivers are the nightmare, they do cut you up.

I'm very sensible when i'm on the scooter but it can still be risky.
I would also add that driving standards (again, only in my opinion) seem to get worse the further West you get

It may just be a co-incidence, but there's a greater concentration of ex-pats 'up West'. :twisted:

Mark
Id just like to say, that I was wonderfully surprised at how easy it was to drive in Cyprus, of all the stories I had heard before I went, I found it far less stressful than driving here in the UK and as Id never driven abroad before I was a little concerned ~ they do not like waiting at red lights, but didnt come across anyone who didnt lol and the driving on the main roads was fine..... nothing like as bad as I imagined it to be, and driving home today from the airport on the m25 and m4 was absolute nightmare compared to the past 10 days in Cyprus lol

Happy Driving!
Always found it a total pleasure driving in Cyprus . Empty roads and plenty of time to pick your turns, junctions etc. The new roads are superb by the way, much under used and well signposted. Like everyone else says just give the Cypriot drivers a wide berth or do what they do: wave your arms around a lot and call everyone in your way a Mala*ka :lol:
Just to add another voice to those who don't find the driving a problem in Cyprus.
Like anywhere, don't absolutely trust other drivers to behave (have you ever driven out of London on a Friday afternoon?)
However:
It may depend on the time of year as to how busy the small roads are but I've found them to be pretty adequate. Many of the roads in the mountains are now being tarmaced.
Most roads around the built-up areas are fine for ordinary saloon cars. However, hiring a 4-wheel drive doesn't mean you have to use the 4-wheel element, of course. They just tend to be the sort of car which has higher ground clearance for the rougher roads - if you choose to go on them.
Don't worry!
Clare
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.