Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Think it is about 22nd Feb 2009. Saw it in one of brochures - think it was Manos India
So basically it states:

Carnival will be held in 4 Goan cities namely:
Panaji on February 21
Margao on February 22
Vasco on February 23
Mapusa on February 24

What's the crack with the Carnival then? I've never been to Goa whilst any Carnival has been on.

Just wondered what to expect? And which venue is advised for someone staying in Candolim? What time it's on etc???

Is there anywhere in particular to head for during the Carnival? Or just go to the city centre and it'll be crazy everywhere?
If you are staying in Candolim you would probably choose either Panjim or Mapusa. I haven't been to the one in Mapusa but I assume it would be a scaled down version of the one in Panjim (which we have been to). I would go to Panjim, absolutely huge carnival, very interesting, in a lot of ways very different to ours as many floats are made from nothing - ours might have all the technology, but there's are so different but every bit as good. Lots of music too as you would expect. Warning.......find somewhere shaded to sit down and make sure you drink plenty of water....its a long carnival. Tip......Get a taxi to Betim and take the foot ferry across the river - quite an experience.

The funniest carnival float I saw was a plane (which represented a hi-jacking incident) - it was really strange seeing that plane travelling across the bridge, it was a very good float though. They really do put a lot of effort into them.
Sounds interesting fizzy! :D
What time did you end up getting there and leaving?
the margao festival is great the centre of margao is cordoned off and you need to find a place early and as was said earlier you will need a shade and water cos its a long carnival parade of floats , they do go all out to impress and enjoy themselves it really is a fun day , thanks for the dates anita :)
Hi Salford, sorry for delay getting back to you, just noticed your post. It is some years now since we have been there in February for the carnival (probably 2000 or 2001) but if I remember correctly we were there mid afternoon until around 8 or 9 pm (poss later). I do know we got back to the hotel in time to order a meal, however, I got heat stroke, (hence my advice to sit in some proper shade, we were under a tree which didn't prove to be adequate, and drink lots of water) so I didn't have my meal.......ended up in our room feeling very poorly :duh

You will find it VERY crowded but a great atmosphere. Have a fantastic time. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.