Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
I appreciate what the Mayor of Laganas is trying to achieve.
Personally I'd much prefer that there were a number of these resorts that offer the type of holiday that appeals to those younger adults who want to 'party hard' so that the majority of people who prefer a quieter style holiday can avoid Laganas, Malia, Kavos, Faliraki etc like the plague.
I'd hate to find that the lovely quiet resort that I'd carefully chosen months ago had become the new 'party place' as a result of being advertised on Facebook or something like that.

I've nothing at all against late night drinking but I don't want to walk down the street of my resort in the morning and see smashed bottles, vomit, discarded clothing and unconcious people in the gutter.

I've seen lots of young people in the resorts that I've visited, most recently Tsilivi and they presumably didn't want the full-on experience of Laganas (assuming that they did their homework before booking).
You can have a good time in most resorts without drinking to excess, let's leave some places for those people who actually want that type of holiday.
I have no objections to people having a good time on holiday and agree there is a need for the kind of resort that caters for the younger, livelier types but there is no excuse for the kind of behaviour mentioned on the report. There should be an offence of "bringing the country into disrepute" which results in these people being deported and losing their passport for 5 years. It's bad eough to see this sort of behaviour in our own towns and cities but when abroad, these people seem to have no respect for local people and customs - or even themselves. This loutish, noisy minority is giving the British abroad a very bad name. Tour operators and local bar owner are also at fault for encouraging out-of-control drinking.

Rant over :(
This same thing happened with Faliraki (and to some extent Ayia Napa) a few years ago. They became over run with the young party crowd to such an extent that these holidaymakers took over the resort and families and couples who had previously holidayed there were put off. I know through experience that both are now attracting large numbers of families again aswell as still catering for the younger crowd.

Its just the turn of Laganas now. The resort, as it is today, caters mainly for young, mainly British, singles looking for the beach by day and numerous bars and clubs by night. Inevitably when you get hundreds/thousands of people drinking in one place at one time you are going to get some trouble. I'm not condoning their behaviour, in fact I agree with MariaH in believing that it shows a lack of respect and gives us brits a bad name, but you only have to look at Saturday night at any major city in the UK to know that this is a problem with society in general not just a problem with 'brits abroad'. For me its how this anti-social behaviour is policed in these resorts that is the key.

Prettypollycat - got to agree with you. I think you've got to have these resorts that attract the party crowd. I enjoyed enough of them myself 10-15 years ago! Even last year on holiday in Stalis i couldn't resist a big night out in neighbouring Malia (glad I wasn't staying there though!).

Whilst the demand is there for these types of resorts - and it always will be - you'll continue to see resorts like Laganas, Malia, Magaluf prosper. Much better to have large groups of lads/girls here, with fellow holidaymakers afer the same thing, than in the same apartments as I'm staying somewhere a little bit quieter! If Laganas does attempt to become more family orientated, they'll still get the young crowd as it has the bars and clubs to continue to attract them, its just that it won't be in the same numbers as it is now, as a large proportion will move on to the next 'big thing' somewhere else.

Thats my opinion anyway!
Personally I'd much prefer that there were a number of these resorts that offer the type of holiday that appeals to those younger adults who want to 'party hard' so that the majority of people who prefer a quieter style holiday can avoid Laganas, Malia, Kavos, Faliraki etc like the plague.

Amen to that. We like a quiet place to holiday, and don't particularly want the quieter places becoming the "new" party central. The reputation of some of these party resorts hasn't been helped by various TV documentaries giving loads of free publicity to them. As I remember, Laganas, Ayia Napa, Faliraki and Kardamena have all featured in one of those type of programmes. (there may be others, but not sure.)
Whilst it maybe is an idea to have places like Laganas, Falaraki, Kavos etc.. as 'party resorts' I think the antics of some of these youngsters needs addressing. The likes of lewd behavior, getting so drunk you can hardly stand, and rowdiness is unacceptable, and the tour operators/resort reps are largely to blame as they actively encourage this behavior.
Now I'm no party pooper, going out and having a good time is fine, no problem with that at all, but I do take exception when I see some of the above behavior. Quite simply, there is no need for it, and the sooner the authorities of these resorts stamp out this kind of behavior, the better.

Two years ago we had a holiday in Lesvos (Petra). One evening, we were sat outside a bar having a drink, I would say it was probably about 11pm, when four young Greek lads turned up on their mopeds. I would say they were in the 18 - 21 age bracket. They took a table opposite us, ordered four soft drinks stayed for around half an hour, then left. They did smoke a full pack 20 fags between them though! That's what I mean when I say there is no need for the sort of behavior we are seeing in the resorts mentioned.

I do hope something is done to eradicate this.
About time

We visited Laganas a few years ago now but it was a family resort then

They were proud that they had a turtle beach and water activites were limited because of it
the hotels were small family run and not AI

the main attraction was the beach -- a safe shallow beach that kids could play in ankle deep water for yards I had to wade around 50-100m to get to my knees

Heck there was even a caravan touring site on the beach that went ages ago to a money grabbing hotel complex
we were in Lagana in may on the east of the village far enough away that we didnt have any problems with the youngsters, however we did here that a group of british students on a finals party caused problems,and that 4 of them were due to be deported back to the uk on the first available flight [to which airport the althorities didnt care] the rest of their gang who were booked on a TO's day out on the boats drifted to the pickup point in dribs and drabs looking the worse for ware and making the coach 20 mins late departing [ i dont think they all made it in the end]

yasus
wizard
The first year I went to Greece (1985!) I went to Laganas in July and Kavos in October - Laganas was already a largish resort, with plenty of nice cocktail bars and 1 disco (closed!), Kavos was a pit! Obviously not as large as it is now and only had 2 discos and several bars, but the "clientele" was totally different - lads (and blokes who shouldn't be lads anymore) on week long bar crawls and girls just out to get trashed and....! I hated it, even then I was horrified at the disrespect shown by everyone.

Instead of us saying that the sweet little darlings need to have somewhere to do exactly as they like, let's address their behaviour, there's no need for the Laganas/Faliraki/Magaluf mentality. We all know that the Greeks can party harder than anyone...I spent a whole summer partying on one particualr small Greek island (with the Greeks) and yes, there was dancing on walls, there was dancing on chairs, heck we worked our way along the bar drinking sfinakia (shots) - but never was there this sort of disrespect shown

(Rant over!)
Elenitsa, I don't think anyones saying that there should be resorts where the young crowd can do exactly what they like. I don't think there'd be a single person who would condone the drunken, yobbish behaviour that we see in these types of resorts but we have to be realistic. This bad behaviour isn't simply switched on when they step off the plane in Greece/Spain etc. These people causing the problems in these resorts are no doubt the same people causing the same types of problems in their home towns and cities every weekend. Unfortunately a small minority will always spoil the reputation of the rest whether it be football hooligans or young brits abroad. Until the problems are addressed at home we will always see this poor behaviour abroad.

Having been on a number of 18-30 type holidays in the past I know from experience that the vast majority of people in these resorts will show respect to the locals and will behave in an appropriate manner. I disagree about there being no need for the Faliraki/Laganas mentality. We loved the mentality of these types of resorts. As young lads they were exactly what we wanted - a resort full of young people with loads of bars and clubs offering cheap drinks, shots on entry etc. I certainly wouldn't choose to holiday at these places now but back then they were exactly what me and my mates were looking for, and I feel it would be a shame if future young people missed out on this type of holiday simply because of a few yobs who didn't know how to behave.

Feel free to disagree everybody!

Steve
Hi All

I read in the paper the other day that the authorities in Laganas are concerned that some of the bar owners are using industrial strength alcohol in their drinks to make them go further. This is very dangerous. I do not condone the behaviour of the drunken yobs in any shape or form but it would seem there are two sides to the coin. Some of the bar owners are unscrupulous. They are happy to take money off the kids whether they are paralytic or not. Of course there will be some who dilute their spirits with water. The consumer does not know what they are getting at the end of the day.

Yiamass, Jean
steve-mcr wrote:
Unfortunately a small minority will always spoil the reputation of the rest whether it be football hooligans or young brits abroad. Until the problems are addressed at home we will always see this poor behaviour abroad.

Feel free to disagree everybody!

Steve
been cut down for clarity

Steve unfortunately I don't feel htat this is a minority problem anymore the majority (take note not all) of under 40's think to have fun you must drink so much you cannot remember what you did the night before

All I can say is I wish the Alcohol producers would stop selling high strength stuff
Surely it's got to be down to personal choices and market forces.. if there are large enough numbers of 18-30s that want that sort of holiday then the tour ops/bar owners/club promotors will provide them with it.

I've done the 18-30 resorts in the past, been to Laganas, Kavos, Faliraki, Ibiza (x6) and i had fantastic times - i didn't fight anyone, vandalise anything or get arrested but i did get very drunk now and then. nowadays i like to go to slightly quieter resorts but i don't begrudge the youngsters having the choices i had... that would be just ridiculous, it's a rite of passage to go on holiday with your mates!!!!

Anyone who grew up in the late 80's/90's grew up in a culture of going out, listening to music and drinking a lot... that's just how it was.. I accept some numb-nuts always take it a step too far but that's no different abroad than at home and it seems that some people are all too eager to assume that all youngsters are the same ??
Couldn't have put it better myself Phildo74!

I'm past staying at these types of resorts now, in fact I'm off to Tsilivi in a couple of weeks which I'm hoping will be more my thing, but I might spend a night over in Laganas just to relive my youth and see with my own eyes what its really like.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.