Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
its a bit of a toughie as the rates fluctuate so much, i think its probably worth taking a mix. In PDI there are MASSES of places to change money up, however shop around and ask each place what you would get for 100 quid, as the advertised rates often have small print ie only valid for amounts over 5000 and stuff like that. Secondly check with your bank as to how much you would be charged and approx rates for overseas withdrawals as this can often be the best way to get money just use an ATM over here. And finally get some euros for arrival i think the post office is normally pretty good but alot of travel agents will have buy back offers and special rates.
Why take cash????

The exchange rate over there is usually better than over here :que

there are loads of ATM's just take the usual precautions when using on

Oh Yes get one of those bank cards that doesn't charge you for withdrawls abroad so you only have the exchange commission to pay -- I think it's the Alliance and Leicester but don't quote me my wife has the card so I can't check
It's not Alliance & Leicester. Like most, they charge 1.5% (minimum £1.50) + a conversion fee of 2.75% of the sterling value of the withdrawal abroad. The only bank/building society I'm aware of that doesn't charge a fee for ATM debit card withdrawals abroad is Nationwide. Anyone else will charge a minimum of £4.25 per £100 withdrawn.
Check THIS LINK and you will see how the different banks compare.

luci :wave
Only got a TSB card will take English money, sounds like the exchange rate is better over ther than over here. Can anyone confirm this. Thanks again.
currently getting 1.28, but as i said in my earlier post beware some of the advertised rates
I would be very suspicious of a rate of 1.28 as yesterday's Interbank rate was only 1.24

Rates as of 2008-04-12 19:09:20 UTC (GMT). Base currency is GBP.

Currency Unit GBP per Unit Units per GBP
================================ =================== ===================
USD United States Dollars 0.5074100000 1.9707928500
EUR Euro 0.8027750091 1.2456790367

luci :wave
Hi, as you will probably be aware, the Pound has been dropping and Financial Advisors say that it could rop to 90 CENTS to the Pound!
I have just recieved mine from http://www.kensingtonmoneyexchange.co.uk/
and got a rate of 1.22 to the Pound. Its actually gone up a little today.
I would recommend Kensington to anyone. So impressed with their service and communication.
take cash over like NeilTheBeaver says you get a better rate over there "mind 128 is better than 122"

luci if you don't get whats on offer don't do the deal, the Interbank rates vary so buy if you see high numbers. :wave:
Right many thanks for all the replies, we are going to the Riu Flamingo on Sat 17/5, please anyone tell me if there is somewhere convenient to the hotel where I can exchange English money to Euros. I would prefer somewhere in close proximity to the hotel. Many thanks again..........not long now :D
Open a Nationwide Flexi Account, we swear by it for a safe and cost effective way of taking your spending money abroad.

No charge for withdrawals and we have always found that by using it we get the best possible rate on holidays...and we have a lot of holidays (old gits).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.