Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Jim, I too would be interested in the replies to this. I have, so far, been very interested in a couple of cruise itinerary, only for them to be cancelled. Luckily (?) this happened before I had booked. I now have booked another cruise for Sept 2009, but the anticipatation, and build up, to my holiday is marred by those T and C's that say basically that the cruise line can do whatever they want :(
Normally they have it in their T&C's so that they can change ports for operational reasons. This is usually if they can't dock in a particular port due to weather on the day so I am surprised that the port has been changed before sailing.

So I suppose the answer to the questions is yes, they can change ports.

luci :wave
Every cruiseline has similar statements contained in the "small print". For your encouragement we had a scheduled day in Mahon on one of our cruises, having previously spent a 10 night holiday in San Tomas in Menorca. The cruise in to (and out of) Mahon, any ship captain will tell you, is breathtaking and, in our experience, was a sight to be savoured. We found it very pleasant just to wander around from the port up into town, even although we had previously spent an afternoon there.

We have had a port change before cruising on one occasion, and also on another occasion notification upon boarding of a change in one of the ports. Neither of these hindered our cruise experience in any way. Remember you will have other opportunities in the future because, like all of us, you will catch the cruising bug without a doubt!
Check the T&C's carefully, there has to be some general clauses about major/minor changes before travel that have to be reasonable and allow you to cancell. If the T&C's say they can make any changes then that would likely be unreasonable and could be challenged in the courts.

MY old(2007) Island brochure has this clause with the 12hr flight change, and change of airport but not stansted,Luton Gatwick, heathrow are all considered the same. no mention of itinerary.

IMHO one port on a 7 day cruise would not be a major change even if it was a primary port on the cruise but 2 could be, I have not checked the details of all cruise lines but any lines fair interpretation would be based on industry norms, NCL consider 2 ports major so thats a start.

I feel there is a research project for someone here

Once travel commneces the rules change so most travel companies try to hide changes, but if they could/should have notified you before an given you the choice there would probably be grounds for a claim
On the change of Ports issue. Last year I had a holiday booked with X. Before the cruise I found out that 2 ports were being changed Casablanca and Tangier. I got this information from Cruise Critic so knew before boarding.
Some of the US Guests had been given this info from their TA. A lot of people did not get this info,. that there was this change of itinerary. The alternative Ports were Valencia and Gibraltar. A lot of people had booked this cruise for C/B and Tangier.
Reason for changing Ports was that they did say safety was an issue. I would not have dared do anything there other than a X excursion. Women are harassed passengers can be abused with the main object of trying to sell you something. Crew and Passengers were put under pressure etc etc. If you read on the Internet you will see that there are many instances of this. The main object is that the Captain can make decisions based on Weather Safety and much more.

If this company is changing ports it could be that it is more expensive to dock there. It could be that there are too many ships in Port on that day, It could be any number of things.

I have cruised the Med more times than I care to mention. Does it make any difference to how much I enjoy them. Absolutely not. Mr Summit 12 night cruise ended on the 8th September and I had been to all of them and many times. How can I tire of Venice Dubrovnik and Santorini? Athens Rome Florence Villefranche ad there is one Port right now I can't remember OH Naples.

I don't do any excursions these days. I always find something new or changes since my last cruise there. Don't put yourself under stress just because of one Port change. I too had been to most of these Ports on land based holidays. I loved Valencia last year it was new and still enjoyed Gib. Many time and with the Barbary Apes etc.
Could you cancel and book with another Company. Can't remember your details. If you were to change and lose your deposit (Which you could do) Book with a different Company then that should be your choice but to worry about having been to somewhere before. You will only be in Port for at most 12 hours or so. Don't let this spoil your pleasure in looking forward to your first cruise
Changing to a different Company the same could thing could happen.

Sue
For Celebrity changing 2 ports prior to sailing is probably border line significant/major change and you could argue for cancellation without loss.

It falls throught the gap of the examples mentioned in the T&C's.(5.5)

They list major/significant as
2ports changed to sea days
minor as
one change of port
one port to sea day
change in order of ports
change of times in port

By saying one port change is minor you could argue that 2 changes is major or they should have said upto 2 changes is minor.

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/resources/Booking_Conditions.pdf

Further reseaach needed but that is now 1 definate and one probable that would make 2 port changes a valdid cancellation without penalty

One port change definately not so OP is stuck with the holiday for now.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I checked the Island brochure and their T's & C's basically say they can change whatever they wish at their discretion, seems we're stuck with it. Having been to Mahon I do agree the harbour is very beautiful and I'm sure we'll have a great time, I suppose I'm a bit mad at myself for not realising they could do this without our consent. We booked this cruise very early bacause we're combining it with a stay and, because it's our first time, we wanted to make sure we got a good cabin. If we enjoy it as mush as all you guys reckon, I think we'll probably wait a lot later next time, by which time the ports will be settled other than for weather or safety reasons.

Thanks again,

Jim
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.