UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Go to http://www.thetrainline.com. Follow the link from "Quick Timetable" & you can play around with times o find the best fare. I just had a quick go & ou should be able to buy 2 single tickets at £10 each depending on what times your friend can travel. Return fare is £36.30.
Thank you. I wil give it ago :D
It'll be a lot cheaper if she travels off peak.

I.e. After 9am and before 4pm and after 6pm.

Rachael
x
Tried all weekend to buy tickets to london from devon for the last weekend in october..., the site kept telling me that there were no trains at the times that I wanted, only trains that I could book seats for at over £100!... in desperation rang the number 0845 7484950 to be told that there WERE trains and that a saver return would cost me £62:20...

Rang the national booking office this morning (08456000650) and got the SAME train on an APEX ticket for £20:70!!!

Seems that their computerised booking system needs an overhaul, and that you only get the best price by dealing with a PERSON!! :?
Just been into thetrainline & had no difficulty finding a £20.70 London-Exeter return on the 29th/30th October (07:10 departure, 19:20 return)
had a shock when viewing the trainline.com, nanaged to get a return ticket from York to London for £19, travelling out 13/09 and returning 15/09, tickets arrived safely, lets hope the guard honours it (':lol:')
The wife and I are off on Saturday morning, returning Monday evening £20 each from Darlington booked through GNER website (and we've got the White House Hotel in Regents Park for £79 (plus tax) a night including breakfasts! What a deal!). Prepare yourself London - and stock those pubs up!!
Tried all weekend to buy tickets to london from devon for the last weekend in october..., the site kept telling me that there were no trains at the times that I wanted, only trains that I could book seats for at over £100!...

Seems that their computerised booking system needs an overhaul, and that you only get the best price by dealing with a PERSON!!

I suspect you were trying to book too early and that if you'd rang the national booking office on Saturday or Sunday then you would have been quotes over £100.

The cheap fares don't become available until 6-8 weeks before departure date
Can I just add something here about travelling without seat reservations particularly at busy times. DON'T! You will end up standing all the way which is OK for a journey under two hours but not OK for longer, especially if you are crammed in with lots of other people and their luggage or you are elderly or infirm.

The end of October will be busy because it half term.

If you cannot book a seat reservation online for whatever silly reason they give you, just pop into your local station as soon as you have your ticket and they will do it for you. The advantage of this method is that you speak to a human so you can request that all members of your party sit either together or if not possible, as close as they can manage. If they tell you that there are no seat reservations left then you know to get lots of leg muscle strengthening lessons in!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.