America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
my nephew has the chance to take part in a martial arts competition there but his mum is not too sure about it as she would like to combine it with a holiday but does not know if Chicago is a holiday destination for an 8 year old. What do you think?
OMG yes. Take a look at http://www.chicagotraveler.com/kids
There are so many places kids love it's difficult to know where to start,but I think Navy Pier would take some beating. It has multi places to eat,shopping,Funfair, Funhouse Maze,fireworks on summer weekends, the Children's Museum. Sit on a bench and people watch. EAT....do a Google of Navy Pier and you'll see lots more. You can walk there from anywhere on Michigan Ave- you'll see signs. It's on the lakefront,just North of the river.
Let's see- Lincoln Park Zoo
Sears Tower Skydeck
Shedd Aquarium (sharks!)
Michigan Avenue shopping, for Mum too (the Miracle Mile)
Great Pizza places.
Lake Michigan boat rides- from leisurely cruises to the Thriller Killer type.
HOHO Trolley tours of downtown. Now- there are multiple trolley tours with guides narrating at each stop- red trolleys and double deckers- for a fee- and worth it,they are fun- BUT also there are FREE trolleys... HOHO.... just stand at the bus stops that say FREE trolley service,theymake circuits about every 15 mins or so... The FREE TROLLEY sign is posted in the front window so check before boarding. The driver likes a dollar tip or so. You can get on/off all day.
Brilliant shopping on North Michigan Avenue- Saks Macy's all the big names,there's also a HUGE VirginMegastore which I like.
Almost everything you want (shoppingwise)is going to be North of the river,
If you look at a map of downtown Chicago the river divides N and S- Wacker drive runs alongside the river and that's a great place to stay- I like the Swissotel there,tremendous views of the river,and the Lake,or try for a hotel North of the river anyway. Seneca Hotel is another I love,right inthe middle of everything. I don't walk around areas south of the river,the further south you go the iffier it gets,but going down to where the Aquarium etc are it gets nice again. As a general rule I would say if walking stay north of the river.
Be sure and go to Grant Park,Buckingham Fountain,Museum of Natural History,Planetarium,Soldier Field (baseball games)- these places can all be reached by FREE trolley.
Sears tower- afraid of heights? LOL- the most scary thing is the ride up in the lift,they pack you in like sardines.
The lakefront itself is great,sunbathing,rollerblading,walking,cycling,lots of places to grab a bite on the move.
I could go on all day.
Is this a boy or a girl traveling?
thanks Emdia - I'll pass your post on to my sister. It is a boy who is travelling. It would just be him and his mum so I can't see her getting to do a lot of shopping :lol: They were looking at moving on from Chicago for the holiday part after the competition but I think further flights would make it too expensive.
No shopping? WHAAAT? On Michigan Ave- you just have to...and see how the other half lives... lots of VERY affluent people.
Also fun skipping down State St singing the Frank Sinatra song.... On State Street,that great street..... well,that might be lost on the boy.LOL
Deep dish Pizzas,ummm ... great places to eat there.
I spent a few days there in 2005 and would go back like a shot. As for kids stuff there is loads to do. fantastic City, I can't wait to go again.
If your nephew is into space then take him to the Adler Planetarium. The Field museum and the aquarium are close by.

Brunch up the Hancock Tower just for the views followed by Navy Pier for loads of kids stuff.

Depending on the time of year you have the Ice Hockey, BasketBall, American Football, baseball at the White Sox and the Cubs and Major league Soccer
it would be august- and I think he would love baseball, just not sure if that is the right time of year :D
Yes,baseball is played from April to way up in September,but when I re-read my post I told you Soldier Field (arrgh) that is for Football- the Chicago Bears play there. I don't follow baseball at all but Comisky Field is where the White Sox play. Football starts in August too,so you could probably see either. Football games are good even if you don't follow the game because of all the Hoopla,marching bands,cheerleaders etc. Good fun.
The Cubs play at Wrigley Field
I spent a couple of days there a few years ago doing a martial art competition (how strange) and loved it. I then moved to Atlanta for a few days and loved that to!
tae Kwon do BP?
Sister now says that it looks as if it will be too expensive as she can't get good flight prices( and neither can I!) :(
Yes, prices are a bit high midsummer. Maybe some bargains will pop up if enough US travelers balk at the prices. The exchange rate is good for UK- Pound now close to $2.
No it was Choi Kwang Do. Used to do Tae Kwon Do.

I would love to go back to both Chicago and Atlanta. Lovely places.
I certainly noticed the good exchange rate a week ago :D
If she is looking for the school holidays then she will be ripped off. Also try and book a trip that includeds a saturday in Chicago. It makes a hell of a difference.
trouble is she is stuck with the competition dates.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.