Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
I travelled around Thailand and Laos last year with a wheeled holdall and found it perfectly OK. I used a small backpack for my flight bag. No way I would lug a great big back pack around though many people do.

Judith
Whichever you choose, wheeled or backpack, keep it small. Buy what you need as and when on route, clothes are so cheap, and remember, with a backpack, whenever you need something out, it's always at the bleeding bottom :D
If your first stop is Bangkok then drop into Pratunam market for T shirts, cargo/shorts, in fact every item you will need at bargain prices.
I've found the small cases with backpack straps and wheels to be more convenient.
Good luck, have a ball :wave:
Eddie
Thanks guys, I know feel much happier knowing that I went out and bought a wheeled holdall that I know know will do me nicely.

:D
We dumped our heavy suitcases ages ago in favour of wheeled holdall/duffel bags and while they are great and you can fit heaps in... However, if you're in a screaming hurry they do tend to tip over like Del boys 3 wheeler around corners (or a Bangkok tut tut).

Cheers Geri
Backpack everytime here ;)

We first got one each when we backpacked Thailand for 3 weeks. Found it SO much easier than cases that we ONLY use backpacks now..even for a week in Greece or 2/3 weeks India/Cambodia.

If packed correctly you can find anything very easily too! :tup :D The secret is to roll clothes and secure each end with elastic band ie. sarong and roll your beach wear up in it..secure each end....t.shirts/vests...roll ..secure. etc etc that way you can find anything very easily. In side pockets I put 'emergency' stuff and clothing I might need in a hurry ie spare underwear :rofl !
Still use our trusty old hard cases...but then once out of the airport we never have to lug them around...let the hotel staff do that. :D
Sunbear wrote:
Still use our trusty old hard cases...but then once out of the airport we never have to lug them around...let the hotel staff do that. :D

That's OK if you are staying in just one or a couple of hotels for your entire holiday but if you are travelling from hotel to hotel and often country to country using many forms of transport as I do the lighter and easier to manage luggage is the better, though my days of carrying a heavy weight on my back are long since over.
:rofl We're 56 and 62 - I just make sure I pack anything really heavy in HIS backpack LOL! ;) ..but TBH you don't NEED that many clothes - as, at long last, I've FINALLY discovered! In fact when we go to India and did Cambodia I wore my Merrills and just took one pair of rubber flip flops! LOL!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.