Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Micky,

We are travelling next week and have not had any jabs for cholera.

We were advised to have Polio/Hepatitis/Typhoid/Tetanus/yellow fever

I suppose if you are doing something other than a holiday (like working over there) and where you are staying, then it might be advisable to have over jabs ??

Tina x
The Department of Health Advice for Travellers HERE does not list cholrea as recommended for Kenya.

luci :wave
Thanks.
I certainly hadnt heard of having that jab until I read the brochure (I cant remember which one). Can anyone also tell me how much they paid for yellow fever jabs please. Cheapest I can get is from the travel clinic at £40 each.
Hi

Yes £40 is what we paid - don't think you will get it much cheaper.

I tried both a travel clinic and the GP - both quoted the same price.

Tina x
The old type cholera vaccine which was given by injection offers poor protection against the disease and is no longer recommended for use by the Department of Health or the World Health Organisation.
However, in May 2004 a new vaccine (Dukoral) was licensed in the UK for immunisation against cholera for people travelling to highly endemic or epidemic areas, particularly emergency relief and health workers in refugee situations. The vaccine may be considered for the following:

People working in areas where there are known cholera outbreaks (e.g. aid workers).
Travellers staying for long periods in known high risk areas and/or where close contact with locals is likely, and who do not have access to medical care.
Travellers to risk areas who have an underlying gastro-intestinal disease or immune suppression.

It is no longer recommended for travel however you will need to be protected against : Typhoid , Hepatitis A , Diptheria/Tetanus & Polio , Rabies if you might have extensive unprotected outdoor exposure in rural areas, such as might occur during camping, hiking, or bicycling, or engaging in certain occupational activities, and where you would not be near enough to a hospital (should you get bitten!) also Hepatitis B especially if you might be exposed to blood or body fluids (for example, health-care workers), have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment. Hepatitis B vaccine is now recommended for all infants and for children ages 11-12 years who did not receive the series as infants.
A certificate of yellow fever vaccination may be required for entry into certain countries in East Africa, especially if these countries have been affected by Yellow Fever
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.