Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
ciggies
11 Posts
if you are coming from an EU country, duty free doesn't exist any more. Cigarette will be the same price at the airport or in the shops - prices are fixed, at, I think, LM1.30-1.60 per packet, depending on brand and size.
The airport has a better selection than most shops. Apart from cigarettes, the duty free shop at the airport is a ripoff, with duty paid prices higher than at most shops
We brought 3000 back with us last week and they roughly cost us £23 for 200 (Berkley and Superkings).Half the price than here in the UK.
As Mark has said they are set prices depending on the brand you get.
having said there are set prices, my wife did buy 200 yesterday, and got a 5% discount for cash. They definitely won't do that at the airport, but could be worth asking for if you are buying 1,000s, and paying cash
But the really great news is that you are limited to where you can and can't smoke em in Malta yipeee yippeee :pele
agree 100% - bars and restaurants are so much nicer now. Only downside is if part of a restaurant is outside, that part is now impossible for non-smokers as all the smokers sit outside
:thanks Thanks for your help. I dont smoke but my husband does. They started the smoking ban last year when we were out there but my husband wouldnt smoke in a resturant anyway, we never bought any cigs last time we were there so wasnt sure on prices etc. :fly
Thanks again to everyone. Imp
:oops: Sorry to spoil your fun but I thought I had better point out that the allowance that you can bring in to the UK from Malta is still only 200 even though Malta is in the EU. Any more than this will be confiscated by :twisted: Customs.
Another consideration is that the cigarettes that you buy on special offer from some out-lets may in fact be counterfeit. On 3/11/05 it was reported that the Malta Customs Department seized 16 million contraband cigarettes.
http://www.maltamedia.com/news/2005/ln/article_7937.shtml
I am afraid your wrong there derekb

CLICK HERE

and

HERE

Edited to shorten links which were stretching page displays
David HT Mod
sorry Derek, have to agree with jojuk - as long as its for your personal use, theoretically there is no limit bringing into UK from Malta - in reality, the limit is 3,200
Thanks Jojouk and Gozomark I stand corrected :oops:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.