Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I see you have posted this on another travel forum and obviously didn't get an answer that you liked so you are now posting on here.
I will agree with most of the posters on the other forum and say though an irritation 4 hrs is nothing these days. Think of the passengers coming in from Sydney another long flight, if they had found that their connection had already left. I applaud Malaysian Airlines for delaying their London flight many other airlines wouldn't.
To answer the question about whether the airline is 'registered' in the EU, well the name Malaysia Airlines should give you a clue, they are Malaysian. They are not a European carrier.

Just put it down to experience and be thankful the delay was only 4hours.
The delay rules;

http://www.auc.org.uk/default.aspx?catid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=4405

where an airline is registered is a complicated business that has nothing to do with where their sales offices are (and they may be just franchised agents) or even where the aircraft are registered (they could be leased)- it's down to where the licence was issued. In this case it's pretty obvious and means you have no EU rights.

However, the laid down rules only cover looking after you at the airport whilst delayed and you aren't far off that allowance anyway. The compensation matter came out of a court ruling which is now being challenged. So even if it had been an EU airline the note at the botom of this page http://www.auc.org.uk/default.aspx?catid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=4404 would apply.
Judith - I am simply trying to get a factual answer - it's not about getting the answer "I want".

Many of the posters in MoneySavingExpert just like to dive in and attack a person asking about compensation rules, making all sorts of accusations of greed and then hijacking the thread to talk about something else.

So I have come here where historically I have found people more helpful.

The answer about where the airline is registered might be obvious to you, but it seems reasonable to me that an airline might be required to register, or form a company, in a country where they land and sell tickets, and that might be interpreted as "registered". I don't know, that is why I am asking for people who do know.

I could write off fours hours delay to experience (and contrary to the accusations of others I have many years of personal and business travel experience) but we suffered considerable consequential expenses as a result of the delay.
I was delayed for over 4 hours at Gatwick last month when flying with Thomas Cook.
We didnt even get a drink of water and I must admit I didnt think we were entitled to anything. :que
I suppose we were just relieved the airport was open and we were going on holiday.
brookhouse
Your question was answered on moneysavingexpert by the first poster and then again by the fifth.
Sunaddict:

Poster 1: Just saying "No" with no explanation, or signature that suggests any authority to the answer is not sufficient.

Poster 5: Is dripping with judgment about my question: "This compensation grabbing attitude nowdays really gets on my wick, it was 4 hours not 4 days!" - so not credible

I like this notice on the MSE forum - pity many posters ignore it...

Pls be nice to all MoneySavers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
The fact he doesn't agree with the compensation culture (as I don't) doesn't make his answer any less credible. He did explain and answer your question correctly.
Brookhouse

Whilst a number of posters (on many fora) may flame the OP for asking the question thay have, or may answer rather too directly without giving further explanation, your question was answered fairly immediately and you yourself highlighted a link to a thread on MSE which gave you the answer.

The fact that you have now posted here does indeed suggest you didn't like the answer provided!
Please would you not debate what happens on other forums here on HT. Thanks :tup
but we suffered considerable consequential expenses as a result of the delay.

I find this comment rather strange. If the OP has as much experience as they claim

I have many years of personal and business travel experience

Then when travelling, in effect from the other side of the world, most people I know whom spend their lives travelling the world for a living in factor in the possibility of delays. Weather and technical problems conspire on a regular basis to effect travel plans.

But that is of little consequence here. The question has been answered both here and apparently elsewhere. Members of HT do try to assist, but when someone asks a question they should be aware that it is quite possible that it is not one that they wish to hear. I would ask you a question from another angle. How would you have felt if you were one of the passengers on the incoming flight if they had not held it? If your experience is as comprehensive as you would have us believe you have probably benefited from such things yourself in the past.

fwh
I think 66 delayed passengers who were due for a connecting flight is a reasonable enough excuse to hold back the flight.

Had the boot been on the other foot and the plane had left without you, how would you have felt?

Perhaps it was the sheer number of transfer passengers that made them take this particular decision. It may have been a different scenario had the numbers been lower...

4hrs isn't unreasonable given the length of the flight, particularly speaking from experience on a FC flight from Manchester to Portugal some years ago. A 6hr+ delay in which they eventually pulled the Malta flight to replace the one due to depart for Portugal.

Passengers were automatically called to come forward for vouchers to get food and drink from the restaurant.

I honestly don't think there's much else you can do other than pursue it in writing with the airline directly and see if they will fall in your favour. However, from experience of working in the UK travel industry and in the reclaims department of a major tour operator I wouldn't hold out much hope in that direction.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.