Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Doesn't the Cypriot Government spray the area anymore? I know I got bitten in Cyprus years ago and a waiter said that they'd just sprayed?
Shell is that all Cyprus or Limassol area ? I know when people have said previously in Paphos that they have had more about, that in Pernera/Protaras there have been none... (I'm hoping its going to be the same when we arrive :D )
We are going to Northern Cyprus and will be armed with my Avon Skin so Soft oil.
The mossies like hubby. :cry
We are coming to Paphos in July, better get prepared then. I came by myself last time and didn't get bitten, so this time got to watch out. Get the repellent and one of those things you plug in. :)

Thanks for the warning :wave
We usually get mosquitos in the spring as it's still very green at this time of year. Once the summer hits and the greenery starts to dry then the mosquitos aren't as bad. In mid July & August when it gets very humid I find they are not so busy either.
But, when the summer starts to cool a little after the end of September, they start to show themselves again.

I'm talking about the whole of the island not just by location. The rain has been horrendous this year and almost every dam in Cyprus has overflowed. http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/wdd/wdd.nsf/reservoir_en/reservoir_en?OpenDocument

If you're by the coast along the beach areas it may not be so bad but anywhere slightly inland or where there's foliage - watch out!

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
having not needed repellants in all the times we've been since 2004 including 1 time in April and 2 times in may (as well as several in Aug - Sept).... are we going to need it this time in May ?
Was the April in 2004 by any chance?

That's the last time it was really wet over winter and the dams overflowed in February 2004 - just a couple of weeks before we arrived on a permanent basis.

While it's still very green and if you're at all prone to being bitten or have any kind of reaction - it's better to get a repellent. I used to have terrible reactions to mosquito bites but after I was diagnosed with allergic rhinitis (like an all year round hayfever) I now take 5mg of antihistamine on a daily basis and find that my reactions to bites are not as bad. They still itch, swell and get very red - especially if I get bitten around my ankles or wrists by a vein but any on my arms or legs are not so bad.

I find some local zivania usually does the trick and takes the itch out! Or, I use the ointment I get in Egypt which takes the itch away too.

At the side of our house is a spare plot of land that has grass and citrus trees on it. Just noticed earlier this evening the guy has been round with his tractor and rotovator to help kill off the grass. That's normally done in the middle of May so maybe it's not just us they're affecting this time?

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
no it was Sept 2004... April was 2008 I think...
Yes really. Every morning I sit out with my cup of tea and they are flying around! Doing some cleaning the other day and load flew out from behind the curtains!
Shell I meant to ask

I find some local zivania usually does the trick and takes the itch out

how much do you have to drink to stop it itching ?
Steve

Don't drink it - apply it liberally to the bite.

The bite gets pi**ed and forgets it's itchy :cheers

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Ζιωανια

Oops (still had the Greek keyboard on)

Zivania is cheap enough to dab a bit on a mozzie bite!

How do you prefer your Zivania to drink?
As it comes from the bottle or do you like it from the freezer?

When we had the bar with Loubychew and her hubby some of our customers liked it room temperature and others icy cold.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus

Now, I'm definitely off out in the sun to read my Kindle :rofl
to be honest I'd rather rub it on than drink it :cheers
like my malt whisky at room temp with nothing in it
LOL Shell, how can they drink it? It is like lighter fuel.
Up in Arsos, Mums neighbour told her to use Zivania to clean windows and to rub on on aches and pains.
:yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.