General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Not an easy recipe but this reminds me of a holiday we took many years ago in a caravan in Cornwall!

'Sir' fancied lobster - so with a not very sharp knife, good cookery book, 2 rings and a grill I managed to produce my first ever Lobster Thermidor! Still feel a degree of self satisfaction with that!
Oooo that's a lot posher than my one pan pasta :rofl
Chop up any of those fresh market veggies such as peppers onions, mushrooms, and put in a saucepan. Add some rice and boil all together. Just before rice is ready add a glug of a decent white wine. Either eat on it's own or with a piece of pan fried fresh fish, or with one of those cooked chickens you find roasting a the side of the road - yummy
Thanks Helen sounds tasty and easy to do.

Another one I thought of yesterday whilst using left overs is, boil a big pan of new potatoes to have with spit roasted chicken or fresh fish or just cold meats. The following day slice the cold pots and fry in some butter/ oil for either breakfast with an egg or as an easy chip type meal. (I love fritters better than chips).

Also, if you do buy a spit roast chicken, if by chance there's any left :think the following day place some rice in a frying pan and brown with some butter. Add and onion and soften, mushrooms, sprinkle of mixed herbs, add stock (double to amount of rice ie half cup of rice = 1 cup stock) add chicken chunks/strips, cover and simmer gently for length of time for rice approx 11 mins and viola chicken risotto. Very filling and cheap.
We are camping in France in the summer and my packing pile already contains packets of fajita mix (just needs added to chicken and veg) and Old El Paso One Pot Rice meals.
Recently I had an apartment with only 2 hot plates. There was also a microwave so maybe some tips for easy cooking could be handy.

I hope you cleaned that hotplate properly as I might have had to use it after you :D

I am a big fan of the BBC GoodFood website and also the app which is easily accessible so here are some ideas for you http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/one-pot

The fish with black olives and tomatoes is very nice, works very well with fresh fish and olives from the market in Marsaxlokk Glynis ;)
My standbys in those circumstances are endless variations on the stir-fry theme - start off with cooking the protein, whether meat or fish, add the veg and meanwhile cook some noodles on the other hotplate.

Katherine Whitehorn's book 'Cooking in a Bedsitter' is still in print and there is even a Kindle edition now and hence the ideal cookbook for SC holidaymakers - great for campers as well! It was my culinary bible when a student. It's very helpfully organised around recipes if you only have one gas ring or hotplate, recipes for cooks who have the luxury of two and alternatives for filling the potato shaped space in your tum! It even has a section on 'entertaining' and even though I'm no longer cooking on a just a hotplate, I still more often than not follow the tip of only serving one hot course which is topped and tailed with a cold starter and dessert when I have a crowd round for a meal. When I think about it, many of her recipes are still staples of my culinary repertoire - its just that I now make the slow cooked one pot stews in the slow cooker rather than using an asbestos heat diffuser on a gas ring under a stoneware Dutch pot!

A variation of one of her recipes which is still a great one-pot standby is to cut chorizo into chunks, fry it off and put it to one side and cook chopped onions in the fat from the chorizo. When the onions are soft add a tin of chopped tomatoes, seasoning and herbs of choice, and then return the cooked chorizo to the pan along with a tin of drained cooked beans (not baked beans but something like ready to use butter beans or whatever is available) and leave to simmer for as long as you can resist the delicious smell. A great meal to have with just a really nice crusty loaf or some green salad or rice or noodles or pasta as the fancy takes you. Or a jacket potato if you have the luxury of a microwave. The basic quantity is a good serving for two with little else but if there are more of you just add more beans! Or buy a bigger loaf! Or add some stock and tell them it is soup!

SM
Thanks for your tips & ideas very helpful :tup

Graham I don't think we cooked in Marsaxlokk :think I meant my apartment recently in Fuerteventura that I had on my lonesome. I ended up eating bacon and eggs all the time!! Mind you I did have eggy bread & scrambled egg for variation :rofl

The friends I met up with in Fuerteventura do a lot of cooking as they enjoy it, but I think they were getting a little fed up with the 2 rings. We had a nice BBQ one evening and, as Kev had taken his bag of marinate spices it was delicious. Ribs to die for and his own special garlic butter and lemon baguettes done on the barbie, slurp.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.