Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Copenhagen
11 Posts
Wonderful place but expensive . We were there in september for a long weekend and stayed at the First Hotel Vesterbro which is about 5 minutes walk from the station /very clean and tidy obtained through octopus travel/hotels connect
Big dissapointment is the little mermaid - it is little !!! but you still have to make a visit to it
The changing of the guard at the palace is well worth seeing , you can stand close to the soldiers while they carry out the routine
Tivoli Gardens is closed in October I think but it is a very expensive visit but has some wnderful but expensive reataurants in it
Price of drinks is approx £4.60 for a pint of lager - Carlsberg of course

transport from the airport is by train which is very efficient and cheap

we were there first week of september and got sunburnt but athe time of your visit I think it will be a few degrees colder !
HI,

Havn't really got any info except my friend and wife were there last year, they said it was beautiful but the most expensive city they had been too and spent way over budget.

Jaime C :wave
Hi,
My husband and I went a couple of years ago in January. We had a fantastic weekend. As we were only there for a couple of days we were determined to get the most out of it so really planned the time prior to jetting off.

We had a early flight and arrived at about 9 o'clock in the morning. The train was direct from the airport to the City. As soon as we got there we jumped straight onto one of those sightseeing buses and managed to see so much of the city and really get our bearings and it stopped off at places of interest (like the little mermaid, which I agree isn't much but you feel as though you should do it). We then checked into the hotel walking down the main shopping street and past the outside ice-skating in the middle of the town square. Our hotel was by the area of Nyhyvn (probably spelt that wrong!) which is nice to walk along. You often see Nyhyvn in the pictures of Copenhagen with the boats and different coloured buildings. There are a few bars and restaurants here with great atmospheres but yes it is very dear. We did not visit Tivoli because January was the only month it wasn't open so can't comment on that sight seeing attraction. We went to a museum on the Sunday called Ripleys Believe it or not which was interesting (my husband is into things like that!) and we walked up the round tower (can't remember the correct name!) which gives you great views of the City and there was an art exhibition there. On Monday morning we strolled around by the palace. All in all we had a great time and have often thought of returning but perhaps in the Summer next time.

Hope that helps and have a fab time!
I stayed at The Square for 3 nights in September last year. Nice hotel centrally located.

Transfer from the Airport to city is straight forward.

Like slow said it worths hopped onto those sightseeing bus (get the all routes (3 in total) 2 days pass for Dkk140) and get your bearings of the city.

A word of reminder that Carlsberg tour is no longer guided (we read about it on guide book) so don't worry if you MISSED the 2 o'clock tour. You can now walk through the museum at your own pace. You will be given 2 tokens for sampling at the end of tour.

We tried all type of sauages on the street stall (range from Dkk12-24 each). The best meal we had and really enjoyed was the resturant in Christiania. It is on the 2nd floor of the main entrance building. Candle lighted with live music and beautiful food (the portion was hughe) - cash only though. The waitress was so nice and kindly translated the Danish menu to us line by line.
I'm thinking of visiting Copenhagen for a long weekend next year, as EasyJet flies from Stansted very cheaply. At present I'm considering March/April, but wonder if I would freeze and it would be better to wait until later in the year.
Don't know about March/April - we are going in December and will post a report upon return. Any decent weather site will be able to give historical data for the spring.
Thanks for that. I'll do a bit of research.
Hi There
I am having a few days in Copenhagen over Easter with my 12 year old daughter, we are meeting my sister there and she has a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Does anyone have suggestions for "must see and must do's" whilst we are there. Also good cheap places to eat with kids.
Hi Aisling - I visited Copenhagen in Dec 2005, my report is earlier in this forum. I travelled without kids so it may not be greatly relevant. I would reccomend the boat tour but whether that would be practical for a 2 year old and a buggy I'm not sure.
I didn't visit Tivoli Gardens but that should offer something for everyone. sorry can't be more use.

Becky67
Had 2 nights in Copenhagen as a start to my holiday, & we loved the place. I'm sure the great Summer weather helped, but we both said we'd like to return.

Easy to get to from the airport, & we stayed at Hotel 27, about 10minute walk from the station. We thought the near-by area was great for restaurants & bars, & we didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were there.

Saturday was our only full day there, & although it was quite a bit of walking, we covered all the major sights of the city.(Christiana/ mermaid/ etc.)

Yes the city is expensive, but a lot more cities in Europe seem to be catching up pricewise for drink/food, so it may not be too bad in a few years time.

Also, the people were extremely friendly & helpful for anything we asked for, whether in restaurants, or asking directions in the street.

& something I didn't know before I went, is that Carlsberg make quality beer as well as that stuff they send over here! weiss & dunkel, & at least 3 others I tried while I was there, all better than the lager.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.