Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Hi,
What about having a look at San Stefanos beautiful beach great bars and taverners,horse riding for the kids and you can take a short bus ride into Sidari where there is a water park

Cathy
I would say Acharavi fits that bill perfectly.
Have a look at accommodation on Travel with Friends , we even have some accommodation ON the beach,and local info on Castaway Travel.
There is a lovely long sand and shingle beach, free swimming pools and a proper water park (Hydropolis)which is within walking distance, to cover the swimming part of a holiday! Then there are many bars and tavernas, night life is inclined to be low key. Though there are a few music bars and a club (soundproofed for those who can live without them!). The advantage that Acharavi has, is that it is well located for being able to do inumerable excursions should you so wish ( details of some selected ones on the Castaway site).
The one thing that will strike you immediately in Corfu is the friendliness of the locals and the safety, children are welcome evreywhere, you will never need a babysitter!
For a safe resort with a superb sandy beach (Blue Flag) and lovely scenery give Agios Georgios (north) a try. It has the advantage of no main roads to cross or busy traffic to look out for. There are several good but small hotels for either package organised or self-organised, some right opposite the beach.

Theo's Hotel is set back from the about 600 metres from the beach in a lovely spot. It is famous for its warm and friendly family atmosphere and youngsters love the beautiful pool. http://www.theoshotel.com

The resort is quiet and laid back but there are plenty of friendly tavernas and restaurants. For loads of photos and information visit http://www.agiosgeorgios.info
I'm with Snappy Cathy, my family loves San Stefanos (NW). My kids are now 14 and 11 and have been going since they were 8 and 5 and they haven't tired of it yet. Try INVALID URL nice and quiet, very reasonably priced, pool within spitting distance and the sea and supermarket only 5 minutes away.
Hi there, have to agree with the others,all lovely places,but st george south has a beautiful beach,and if you stay at the corfu plaza apartments,it is a thomson superfamily resort with loads of things for the children.I am biased because i love st george south but have to say wherever i have stayed in corfu i have had wonderful holidays!I,m sure you will love corfu wherever you decide on! Sue :pele
We are going to Aspro Kavos for two weeks in August and staying in the Sea Gardens Apts. We have two 14year old boys, a 13 year old and 10 year old girls with us. We are with Thompson holidays and this is our first ever package deal holiday with children. It was their idea to have a sunny beach holiday!

I would like some advice on what there may be available for us to do, other than just lie around on the beach! Are there places to go eg. walks along the coast etc.? Is car hire easy and readily available? Is the supermarket adequate for catering for a group of six, or is it easier and just as cheap to eat out?

Are there any really Greek places to visit ie some "culture"?

We must admit that we booked this holiday because it was a "good deal"with Thompsons and we didn't know that much about Corfu at the time. Can anyone tell us how to get the most out of our time there?

Many thanks!
I don't know the exact place you are staying but have been to Corfu many times. It is a bit short on ancient ruins but there are lots of beautiful places to visit and car hire is usually easily available. Pontikonissi (or Mouse Island) is a must as it is the photograph that everyone sees of Corfu and it is just on the outskirts of Corfu town. Also close to the town are the Achilleon Palace which is worth a visit and the ruins of the two forts. The old town itself is a lovely place to walk round with its faded and crumbling Venetian buildings and the Church of St. Spiridion, the patron saint of the island, is a must-see too. There are lots of little places to eat in the back streets of the old town where the food is wonderful - the places where the locals eat rather than the tourists. As to the rest of the island, Paleokastritsa with its clover leaf bays is superb and it has a tiny monastery full of flowers which we always visit; hire a pedalo and explore the coves. We always go to Kassiopi which is a fishing harbour where you can buy beautiful lace and, if you are lucky, the sunset over the boats is magnificent. We have also gone inland to visit a little village called Old Perithia which was deserted many years ago and is now being bought back to life by EU money and properties are for sale and craft centres being set up. If you have kids, Aqualand is a must; personally I like bobbing along the lazy river whereas the kids like the buttock-clenching slides. As to food, we usually buy in bread and salad stuff for lunch but there is no way I am cooking on holiday so we eat out in the evening. I have no doubt prices vary from resort to resort but I don't think we have ever paid more than £30 for four people, two courses and drinks which I don't think is bad at all. I hope you have a really great time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.