Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Hi sue,

I did this trip years ago with my parents. I think it took us about 3 hours, but we did stop so people could jump into the sea for a a swim. It was a lovely trip, but we crossed the sand bars and i was a little sea sick. Paxos is a tiny little island and we stopped for something to eat. Would have liked to have spent more time there. As for cost, sorry I cant help it was rather a long time ago.

Mrs Mac
Thanks for that info. At least we know we can get a boat there. The seaplane costs about 60 euros each so expect the boat to be cheaper. The plane would be a bit of an experience though.
You can also get a hydrofoil. There are two companies running the route now, with two or three services a day most days. The hydrofoils go from Corfu Town, just opposite the Hotel Atlantis and cost about 10 euros each way.
tha's brilliant thanks ! :D
You're welcome Sue.

MrsMac, nice of you to repeat my post, virtually word-for-word on the Corfu Travel Guide forum :D
You can visit Paxos by boat from St. George South ( i think it on a Sunday and on a thursday ) the guy who runs the boat hands out flyers in St. George but also has adverts up in the village,He takes you to Paxos,Anti-paxos and the Caves.Its a great day out we saw dolphins in the water and they swam under the boat. I think the cost was about 18 euros each.
Hope this helps
:gluck
That's fantastic - thanx very much for that Alan ! :D
It is best when asking such questions to mention where you will be staying. There are different variotions of trips available from different parts of the island.

There is a day trip to Paxos and Anti paxos which leaves from Corfu Town but does have a transfer bus from all over the island to take you from your resort.
It is around one half hours cruise to the main island and a further 20 mins to Anti paxos which has a famous beach with beautiful turquoise blue sea and white sand. it goes down the west coast which has tall cliffs and the boat noses into some caves which again have wonderful clear blue water.
It is easier logistically to do the trip that use the ferries unless you have car or want to stay overnight.
we are staying in Agios Gordios - please can you suggest where to catch the nearest boat to Paxos and A.Paxos. Thanx.
Hello Sue. The link for the sea planes is:

http://www.airsealines.com/index.htm

I personally would travel from Corfu Town to Paxos rather than from a local resort for the simple reason the boats are larger. If there is a big swell and strong breeze you don't want to be on a small boat!

Many of the local travel agencies do some good trips including Paxos, Anti Paxos and Parga on the mainland, that leave from Corfu Town. They are all worth the effort and the long day as all three places are beautiful.

Have fun.
Thank you for that information. When we were on a very small motor boat in Zante I remember in such a short time how quickly the wind got up and the lad in the boat had a hard time trying to steer it. Also on Samos we booked a trip to Patmos which was eventually cancelled because the Captain would not take his boat out because it was so windy. These winds have a special Greek name dont they? Does it get that windy in Corfu? It has been very windy in Crete whilst we were there too.
These winds are a common Mediterranean phenomen, each area has a differentt wind with different characteristics. Hre in Corfu the wind caused by hot summer weather blows from the north west, and is called the Maistro. It usually gets up in the early afternoon and drops at sunsest and can blow from a couple ofdays to several. The east coast of Corfu is sheltered from this thoughthe channel between Corfu and Paxos can get rough if its a bad one, which would mean trips being cancelled.
Thanks for that. I love all the local information.
We have just returned from Corfu and did the Paxos/Antipaxos trip by boat from Corfu town, we booked it as a trip including transfers from our resort. To be honest we were rather disappointed with the trip. on the way there we were on the boat for around 4 hours which included looking at the caves and a 30 minute stop just off antipaxos for people to jump into the sea and swim around the boat, we didn't actually step foot onto antipaxos and the swimming wasn't really suitable for kids. We then went on to Paxos were we spent around 3 hours which just about gave us time to have something to eat and look at the boats in the harbour before the trip back. They offer a coach transfer into the town on arrival in Paxos for 3 euro per person I would strongly recommend that you don't do that, the coaches are loaded up like cattle trucks with everyone pushing and shoving to get on. We took the coach there but then walked back, the walk was lovely along the harbour and only takes about 10 minutes. I'm sure paxos is lovely but we didn't feel that the amount of time spent there justified the amount of time we spent travelling, really can't comment on antipaxos as we didn't even land there.
I would assume that the hydrofoil is probably quicker and therefore might well be a better option.
in my view this a definitely not a trip to do with kids our two were bored rigid and didn't even get to swim.
Marlborough, I agree that the organised boat trips aren't ideal for anyone with small kids and are more about the trip itself than actually seeing Paxos.

For anyone who is more interested in "being there" than "getting there", I'd recommend going on a Wednesday or Sunday, when the Paxos Flying Dolphin leaves Corfu at 9.30 am and returns from Gaios at 5pm. This gives you around 6.5 hours to either explore Paxos, using a combination of bus and taxis, or to get one of the express boats that run from Gaios to Anti Paxos about once an hour throughout the day.

Anti Paxos is a beautiful island and well worth a visit, but it has little natural shade and so in high season it's not good for walking during the middle of the day. If you go in July or August, you'll probably spend most of your time there sitting in a taverna or on the beach under an umbrella and it's a long way to travel from Corfu just for that. So if the weather's very hot and sunny, I'd stick to exploring Paxos and save the Anti Paxos trip for when you go back to stay on Paxos :wink:
Brilliant information! Thanks for that!!
The regular Paxos ferries go from Corfu town, to make best use of a visit you need to stay a few nights (get your package company rep to organise this...). Accommodation is notoriously difficult to obtain if you just turn up.

http://www.paxos-greece.com/how_to_get_to_paxos.htm

http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp
Hi
I think I saw something on tv a little while ago (perhaps Departure Lounge BBC1) that showed there was a sea plane service from Corfu to Paxos. Does anyone have any info on this?
We're off to Hotel Athina, San Stefano, on 5th September, and worrying that the menu there might have got too un-Greek. First trip to Corfu though been to several other islands.

Thanks
Sorry, just seen the reference to the sea planes in the discussion.
Obviously I am not functioning well and need a holiday - thank goodness only 8 days to go.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.