Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
It does all depend on which resort you go to. Some of the islands are more expensive than others.
When I was on the mainland in September the price of a beer (in a bar/taverna) was either 2 or 2.5 euro, it was a lot cheaper at the supermarket but not sure how much.
House wine by the litre was between 4 & 8 euro depending on which taverna we were in. There wasn't a great deal of difference in taste and I found them all very pleasant.

The average meal (2 starters, 2 mains, 2 covers + drinks) was around 30 euro, a little more if we ate on the beach. In the local grill house we could eat for about 22 euros.

A lot cheaper than anything in England.
Yes, those prices are similar to what we paid this year in the Peloponnese. Local wine I don't think we ever paid more than 6euros a litre.
If you eat in less touristy villages prices are much better. We found things a bit more expensive this year ie: main courses all seemed to be 8 or more euros, even a pork chop, which was a bit of a shock.
Hi Nick & Chris - welcome!!!!

Like everyone says - it depends on resort and taverna/restaurant. On Patmos last week, prices for fish were very low (unusual for Greece) and we paid between 20 and 30 euros for a meal including a bottle (75cl) or a loose litre of retsina. The 30 euro meal consisted of prawns, taramasalata, squid, whitebait (as a starter) then seafood souvlaki (octopus, crevettes, scallops) and one other dish I can't remember!!! I do remember not being able to move afterwards.

Lunches were costing 10-12 euros - 2 veggie dishes (stuffed potatoes, briam) and a half litre retsina.

A Mythos beer came in at 2-2.5 euro except in the gyros joint where it was 3.

Back in Kos Town - beer 2 euros, large gyro 3.5....and two blow outs at the Stadium fine dining restaurant (and oh boy was it good!!!) came out at 50 and 55 euros including a very nice bottle of Makedonikos rose each time.

Coffees generally came in at about 2 -2.5 euros.
we have just returned frome Crete a good meal could be had from * evro to 80 evro per person depending where we went mythos Megalos (large) draught from 2.5 to 4 evro Metaxa epta asteri { seven star) from 3 to 4.5 evro

wizard
Never went for starters, by the time you eat the bread they serve when you arrive thats more than enough, average meal would cost approx €5-8, desserts €3-5 and beers €2 - €2.50 and spirits very cheap too but remember that they dont actually measure so you get you moneys worth
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.