Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Tony - you lucky man ...wish we were going back there..one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in . Here is a link to previous posts in case you have missed them;

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=69147

Can't recommend it highly enough. :D :D :D
Would anyone recommend this hotel for 2 families with teenagers(aged 13-16)? Also would you recommend asking to be allocated anywhere special? (ie:pool view, sea view) I believe this to be a very quiet resort, will there be enough there to keep them occupied? Thinking about it for Aug 07. As it is a large complex will it be like butlins abroad & no chance of ever getting sunbeds?
see previous posts (The Creta Panorama and Creta Mare are one in the same hotel);
http://holidayforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=64286

and reviews;

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/(Iberostar)/

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/greece/crete/rethymno/creta-panorama-iberostar-hotel/(Iberostar)/

You can probably save quite a bit of money if you book the hotel & flights separately, if you have two kids....see earlier posts - (the promotion code 'Tesco' gives £20pp off flights on XL.com now) - other than that Kosmar prices are not bad.
Great hotel !!! :tup
We will be going to Creta Panorama at end of this month and have heard about a trip on a pirate ship that goes past this hotel.

Has anybody been on it and can tell me what it's like? We have an 8 year old girl and was wondering whether she would enjoy it?

Also, does anybody know how far it is to the closest water park?

Thanks in advance. :D

Sarah.
Cheers raymaher for that link. It sounds like my 8 year will enjoy that.

Looking forward to going now. Only 16 more sleeps. :D
you should love the Hotel we are going again in October. Cannot fault it at all
I think we will love it as it seems to be getting plenty of good reviews both here and other websites.

Did you have need to use the kids club while you were there before? If so, was it any good? Our previous holidays have had first choice kids clubs and we have always been impressed with them, so I am just curious about a hotel run club.

Its good to hear that you enjoyed it so much that you are going back again.

Cheers raymaher.
No we didn't use the kids club so I cannot give you any info. Maybe somebody else has.
Hi Sarah
Sorry only just saw your post today as I've been on holiday :oops: (Switzerland).

Yes, we did the Pirate Ship Cruise, you catch it from the Old Port in Rethmynon (which is fairly easy to find as its well sign posted). There are actually 2 replica pirate ships, the bigger one being the Barbarrossa. They are fantastic looking boats, inside & out !!
We went in low season (October) and so it is difficult to give you exact details, as I believe during the Summer they do several different cruises, some all day, and some part day.
There's a bit more about it on a website called Crete Connections (sorry can't paste the link at the moment - perhaps someone else can ???)

We did a part-day cruise which took about 4 hours.
First it visited some sea caves along the coast - actually these were not very impressive but we werenot there long ! then we sailed up past the headland where the Iberostar Creta Mare/ Panorama are situated, to Panormo...a pretty fishing port with a small sandy beach (which incidentally you can reach by the Noddy train from the hotel). It moored up there for just under an hour, which is plenty of time since you most likely take a trip down there anyway during your stay at the hotel. It then heads back to Rethymynon with a swimming break mid way (though this was off the coast, rather than in any kind of bay, so perhaps not so suitable for younger kids to participate)

The crew were all dressed as pirates either there, or on the way back, and were very kid friendly, allowing kids to steer the boat, and have photos taken etc.
There were dinks and icecream available for purchase, plus toilet facilities - so fine for a family trip.

All in all my kids really enjoyed it and I would really recommend it to any family.

We also used the kids clubs at the hotel and they were excellent - with at least 3 different age groups, which made for much more appropriate activities for each.
There are plenty of different organised activities for children from crazy golf competitions, soccer, special rate banana boating, t-shirt painting, stone painting to name but a few.

If you have any further questions just ask !
Cheers jdybnsn. That info you posted was great. We are going for a fortnight so we will now definately go on the pirate ship. Thanks for the website details.

Its reassuring to here that your kids enjoyed the kids club. My daughter loves them when we go on holiday, so as long as there are decent pools and kids club and new friends to make, she will be happy, which means my husband and I will also be happy. :pele

In general, were you happy with the food and the evening entertainment? A few reviews I have read commented that the entertainment was quite poor. In the end though you can always make your own entertainment.

Was there much to see within walking distance of hotel?

Thanks again. No more questions now. Honest.
Hi Sarah,

The standard of food (and drink !) was truely excellent for what is generally classed as a 4* hotel...we went to a 5* Iberostar hotel in Turkey the following year ,and were actually disappointed to find it wasn't as good as the one in Crete (though it has since changed hands now). We particularly thought the standard of the food all day long was excellent - so often at AIs, the evening meals are good, but what you get at lunch/ breakfast is pretty poor snack type affair..not here ! - I can assure you it is all excellent ...no scrimping at all. The other impressive thing is that the wine was on tap, and it was decent (I'm no expert but I can't drink any old rubbish) ..and there was very little queueing (if any) at the bars...sometimes AIs can try and limit your drinks by making it difficult to get served ...again , not here.

The entertainment was your typical holiday rep. productions...mini disco, followed by interactive bingo and a speciality act...all good fun but don't go expecting West End shows :D
Also the clientele are largely German, with a smattering of Dutch, French, Italian and British.....but the entertainment is very much aimed at everyone...they a good job of ensuring all are included (I think the Iberostar chain is particularly good at this ).

There are few gift shops within walking distance of the hotel, also a large shingle public beach on the Rethmynon side, which you can access via one of the numerous hotel pathways (that make for pleasant walks in themselves).There is a Noddy train running to the nearby small fishing town of Panormo. There is also another sister hotel, the Creta Marine, right next door which we wished we'd taken time to have a nose around !
The location is quite a remote one, on a headland, some 15 mins from Rethmynon,..... but there are excellent transport links, as the hotel is right on the island's main bus route..getting about should be reasonably easy. We hired a car, but quite honestly it was a bit of a waste for a week because the general standard of hotel and the expansive pleasant grounds, did not give you a big incentive to go out ! ...at least not to eat anyway !!!

If you have more questions ask away !
Cheers again jdybnsn for all your input.

We are all really looking forward to our holiday now. Less than 2 weeks to go. :pele .No more questions at moment thanks, you seemed to have covered all my queries.
We are going to the Creta Panorama on the 16th and have booked a garden view room. Can we expect any sun on the balcony and do the rooms have a mini bar.
Ray Maher.
Merged with existing topic.

luci :wave
Most of the garden rooms have a very sunny aspect, but I suppose you could get unlucky depending where you ended up in the terracing......
Top tip : .....if you are not happy with your room I would strongly recommend you go to the reception and ask as pleasantly as possible if they have another room, with better sun........we asked (nicely) to change our garden room due to the views - our own fault we had become acustom to a sea view on our last few holidays.

They couldn't have been more obliging, and found us a sea view bungalow on the front row, at no extra charge ! !! :)

Hope you have a good stay - we hope to return some day.

PS. there is a fridge in the room but I don't remember it being stocked with anything other than with water, when you first arrive - which is not replaced; so make sure you keep your bottles, to refill from the water dispenser in the dining room (everyone does this).
Thanks for that. We had a sea view bungalow last year but it faced north so no sun at all on the balcony.
Just looked at my video and we had a fridge stocked with drink. Do you known if the rooms in the Panorama have bath robes
Just got back from the Panorama. Great time staff still excellent.We had booked a garden view so as to have a sunny balcony but they upgraded us to a sea view facing north so no sun.
Still weather was better than last October. They have beer on tap in the bar to help yourself. Good idea.
Many of the staff are the same as last year which is a good sign.
We will be going again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.