Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Crete or Corfu?
10 Posts
to enable our members to make some recomendations can you please advise what sort of holiday you prefer..eg quite restfull/ buzzy lots of bars /beach or pool based, historic trips or chill out etc

wizard
I would go to Crete everytime. It has everything you need.
As we are a young family inc 2 girls 16 15 & a lad 8 we usually target the busy resorts with lots to do...excursions etc

Which resort is most popular in crete?

Thanks again
Hersonissos has plenty for all age groups and is central on the northern part of the island with easy access using bus or car for any part.
Star Beach Water Park, amusements and safe bathing area for the younger one, foam discos in the open air for the girls even during the day so you can observe from a distance ;) , plenty of places to eat - not a lot left to say... Close enough to Malia for a day out on the waves..but not for the girls at night - on their own.
Agree with you Parky as I am a regular visitor to the town.

There is also an excellent bus service to Heraklion, Stalis, Malia and Ag Nik.

You must go an visit the villages up and around the town.

You should also make 1 visit to Knossos.

Please ensure you to to the Meltemi Taverna on the beach.
I've been to Corfu, most of the other Greek islands plus Cyprus several times and I agree that Crete has everything. If you want the wilder nightlife then yes head east of Heraklion. If you prefer a rich combination of good night life, staggering scenery (the White Mountains), real Cretan culture and the best combination of beaches without the crowds head towards Chania. The Samaria Gorge is unbeatable, Falasarna has been voted the best beach in Europe and you can even climb Zorba's mountain where the movie was shot and he did his famous dance. Head west!
Of course Crete has everything to do!!
Beautiful landscapes,tropical beaches...forests,lakes,gorges,mountains...big towns,nightlife,great cretan diet!!!All you want you can find in Crete!!!
it must be crete, the people are very friendly and so laid back!
This will be my 8th visit to Crete in September. The island itself is beautiful especially the southern part, depends what you are looking for in a holiday. Malia, Stalis are more for 18-30's Elounda more quiet but still OK for families, Plakias (South) very quiet, Aghia Galini (South) beautiful and quiet. The Cretan people are so lovely and hold a genuine affection for English people. There is so much to see and do on Crete, Samaria Gorge, Preveli Monastery, Knossos. Crete is more Greek than Corfu, if that makes sense. Corfu is really geared up for the English, I would very much recommend Crete over Corfu, have a lovely time if you go.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.