Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Crete vs Kos
22 Posts
HI Angela,
I think there may have been a mis-print in your last sentence "never been to Greece" as earlier you said you'd visited Kefalonia. However, I'm sure you'd enjoy both Crete and Kos. We went on an extended family holiday to Kos (Kardamena) a few years ago and myself, hubby and son (then 15) stayed in Tingaki 6 years ago. Tingaki was a lot quieter than Kardamena but there were still ample restaurants to eat in a different one every evening and a handful of music bars. The beach was a lovely long stretch but rather narrow. Of these 2 resorts I'd recommend Tingaki to you.

As for Crete, We haven't been before but have booked to go to Stalis next year. We did a lot of research before booking. I think this would suit you apart from what I gather the beach road does get busy with scooters and quads which you particularly don't want. I'm sure other regular Crete holidaymakers will offer you more advice on the various resorts.

Coming back to your original question Crete or Kos. Personally I don't think it matters which of the islands you pick - it's the resort that you have to be selective about. Choose your island and then research the diferent resorts. Have fun! I love the researching bit of the planning.
we love both go to Kardamina [stay 2km out of town at the Aegean village half board] think they may have family rooms,also Crete been to several resorts but prefer Sisi other people with have their own favourites , so i suggest to start with you click on resort reports in the blue banner above and read the reports on the various places on both islands,find something you may fancy and ask again [kos questions on the Greece/other island thread

wizard
Hi, I would say you would love Kos easy to get around as it is quite small.
We stayed in Tingaki in May very nice resort though very quite when we went as it was early in the season. It has a lovely sandy beach with views over Turkey water sports are available, Plenty of good taverna's and a few music bars but nothing rowdy.
Tingaki is also very close to Kos town which is lovely,
plenty of trips are also available.
Next year we are of to Crete and staying in Reythomn which was another greek island on my wish list.
I would also the Mythos apartments in Tingaki brilliant.
Thankyou everyone, I think I will go for Crete-Stalis.....by the looks of it the food places are good too so I think we might go self catering.
Hi Angela24 We,ve just booked the Socrates11 apartments in Stalis for next August. The reviews on this site are all great. We booked on line with Thomson and using their promo code got £100 giving us a great price, and from our regional airport.
Thank you, i will have a look...I was considering Anastasia Hotel as it has excellent reviews.
Hi Angela,
the Anastasia does look good. However, we enjoy the whole self catering experience whilst in Greece. We find it gives us more of a chance to sample the different Greek restaurants/tavernas etc.
Hi Angela, Have you ever thought of saving your tesco club card vouchers as you can exchange them for holidays with Cosmos. I know they do the Anastasia hotel as it was one of the places we had consided. I actually saved over £125.00 worth of vouchers which I exchanged for deals totalling £500 which has gone towards my next holiday. I am now saving for 2009
What a good idea...it wass Cosmos I was going to book through...thanks for that
You will love Stalis, we went with a group of 19 in 2005 and are going again next year with a similar size group, we stayed at the Irelana apartments which are self catering (our preference). The town has a good mixture of bars and restaurants, never seems to get to loud.

Lovely people
Lovely town
LOVE IT !!!!!!
Just got back from Mexico - but our hearts belong to Greece - Can't wait.
Hi Angela we,re going to Stalis in 3 weeks staying at the Anastasia will let
you know how we get on.Sioux :D
If you want a combination of breathtaking scenery, beautiful beaches, good food and other entertainment and a local culture that wraps itself around you then choose Western Crete. Kos by comparison is devoid of local flavour. It was Turkish from 1522-1912 and has little feeling of a Greek island. Kefalos is the nicest part but it's lacking atmosphere. Crete is Cretan rather than Greek by character but ....what a character!
Richard1 you make Crete sound wonderful. You have a way with words, I'm glad I've booked to go there for the first time next August.
Someone once said to me, Shirley H, that if words were the currency of language I should be a rich man. I have scraped the odd drachma and Italian lire together over the years but that won't get me very far today. We live just outside euroland but thank goodness the countries like Greece and Italy have retained their respective cultural identities, if not their currencies. Vive la difference!
Absolutely Crete.....you can find anything you want there... ;)
I go to both on a regular basis both for me have their charm and interest [ i keep away from the resort areas as much as possible] both have some stunning historical sites and unspoilt views and if you look around good Greek food food
i would happily recommend both although i have a leaning to kos [strange as the locals think i speak Greek like a cretian]

wizard
I usually accept the ref's decision but not this time, although naturally I respect his opinion! I have spent time in both Kos town area and Kefalos and seen most in between. I agree that Kos has its good points and without Hipocrates how would we ever trust a doctor?
Crete just offers so much more. Although Crete is Cretan first and Greek second it abounds in the rich character of both. Kos has little to show for its long turkish heritage and is bland on the Greek front, compared to Crete that is. Kos lacks the drama of Crete's White Mountains and its gorges, the fiercely independent but proud character of the Cretan people (as personified by Zorba in the movie and as discovered by the Germans who dared to drop from the sky). Cretan food is as varied as it is delicious. Its regions are as diverse as they are stimulating. Eastern Crete is as different from Western Crete as Florida is from California. I'd better finish here before the ref sends me off.....one things is certain ....both are preferable to the Balearics!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.