Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Don't know, but would be interested to find out when you get back. We are doing the same flight on 24 February and am already worried about the flight! Hope you had a fantastic holiday - where did you cruise and on which ship?
Hi
just back from our cruise on Crown Princess. It was amazing!! The flight to San Juan was just over 8 hours and seemed to go pretty quick. Checking through customs and boarding the ship is a million times easier than going through the states so you should get off to a stress free start!
If you are spendng any time in San Juan there is a nice beach 10 mins from terminal and a fab Shopping Mall which is massive and even has Macys! again 10 mins away.

If you want any more info please feel free to get in touch.. have a great time.
Hi Amelia 1996, glad to hear you had a great time on the Crown Princess - this is the ship we are also going on. If you don't mind, there are some questions I have. What did you think about the food - my OH only likes plain food such as steaks, chicken etc, but no sauces. Will there be plenty of choice for him? He gets very grumpy when he can't find something he likes to eat Did you take any electricals with you - Im going to get a dual voltage hairdryer and straighteners but I was wondering, if we just get an adapter will the camcorder and rechargeable camera batteries charge up or will the voltage be too low? Are there are trips you can recommend - we want to do a bit of everything - nice beaches, walking, sightseeing etc? Did you do Princess trips or your own - there seem to be so many to choose from. Sorry for so many questions but any recommendations would be great. Thanks.
Hi there

firstly food....No problems here as there is so much choice. You can always get a choice of plain steak and chicken in the main dining room if the specials are too saucy. The steak grill is excelent. It is $25 a head extra but there is a marked difference in the quality of the meat and fish. Book as soon as you board though as we couldn't get in at all on our first week.
We had a hairdryer in our room (mini suite) The electricity was fine and i used a UK/US adapter.
We only did one trip which was the 5 star cat trip in Antigua which we really enjoyed. In St Thomas for example it is easy to get the ferry yourself to trunk bay. In Barbados we took a taxi (20 u.s) to Accre beach. It is one of the nicest on the island with gentle waves white white sand and shops and bars around for lunch. There were no other cruisers on this beach which was a welcome change as the taxis get commisions and take every one to the same beaches so you always feel like you are on the cruise!
If you want beaches then I wouldn't bother with trips just get off and get one the hundreds of taxis waiting outside at all the ports.

We went to the French side of St Martin which was very nice. Here you can take a 15 minute ferry to Anguilla which has the nicest beaches.

If you want to take booze on board take it in your main cases when you board as they wil not let you take it on from the ports and confiscate it til the end of the cruise.

Hope you have a great time guys, we wil always remember our holiday on Crown.. it was fab
Hi Amelia

You may also like to post your review in the Cruise forum HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Lady Scorpio- take a look at Cruise Critic- click on 'Boards' then Princess cruiseline,and you will find lots of cruise questions being answered. All you ever needed to know about Crown Princess and more.
Thanks emdia43 - I've had a look at the website and there is absolutely loads of info on there (almost too much!). Feel a bit happer now about a few things.
You're welcome. I like plain food too- 'Gourmet foods' seem more about presentation than taste. On a cruise there are so many choices. you won't go hungry. I tend to eat at the buffets more because I can go just when I want and help myself. Food is available 24 hrs a day. If you are in the dining room and nothing appeals to you just ask for a steak and baked potato -they always have some available. On the other hand if you really like what they have you can two orders or as much as you want- they encourage you to have just whatever you want- pampering would be the word that comes to mind.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.