Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
We were on the Destiny for New Year 2006/07 and there were lots of kids onboard, particulary teenagers and we know most had been on from the week before (Christmas week) as the entertainment staff knew them all by name already....
:cheers Thanks Jess - was your New Year Cruise as you expected on the Destiny?
Yes, loved it - we hadn't been out on New Years Eve for about 10 years (lost interest in pubs, plus having a dog makes it difficult to go out when there's fireworks etc. so we usually stay in) - so to actually spend New Years Eve out celebrating made a great change, and the atmosphere on the ship was great as everyone was in the holiday/Christmassy spirit

The weather was nice and warm but not really sunbathing weather which meant we made more use of our days, sightseeing and shopping.

Would definitely cruise again at New Year, and would also consider Christmas (although we would find that more difficult with family/dog - so for us, more likely New Year than Crimbo). But you should definitely do it if you're thinking about it! The only thing I would say is that we heard the Christmas week wasn't as Christmassy as people imagined - a few decorations and some crackers/paper hats on Christmas day but as long as you are prepared for this you should be fine. Beats cooking at home anyway!
:cheers All booked! I am happy just being away for Christmas I can tell you. Now its just the budgie that needs sorting :rofl

Not too worried about the lack of festivities though. It is what you make of it yourselves I think.

What temperatures were you talking of when you went Jess?
Low 20s - in Gran Canaria we went up on deck in cropped trousers and tee and were surprised how warm it was and had to go and get changed - yet in Madeira a few days later, I got off the ship in shorts and a vest and had to turn straight round and go back up the gang plank for something with sleeves because it was a bit chilly. So it fluctuates but was fairly pleasant - think UK spring temperatures. However the week before we went (Crimbo week) had apparently been appalling and rained most of the week - but that could have just as easily been our week, its the luck of the draw - which means you need to take more clothes than summer clothes so you can be prepared for all types of weather!
Ok a mixed bag then. I will have to remember that when packing then. Thanks for the info ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.