Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Re: CUBA
227 Posts
I'd like to know that too as we're going soon.

Also, would like to know if my payg vodafone is likely to work there? Just need to make a couple of calls home during our time there.

Re gifts as tips - is it customary when out and about to carry soaps, toothpastes etc and hand them out as tips?
sandbee,

Also, would like to know if my payg vodafone is likely to work there? Just need to make a couple of calls home during our time there

Coverage in Cuba is pretty good so you'll be fine.

Re gifts as tips - is it customary when out and about to carry soaps, toothpastes etc and hand them out as tips?

Can't say I've heard that one before!! Tipping is at your discretion.

Darren
When I was in Cuba last year lots of people were giving out bars of soap and small size toothpastes to hotel and restaurant workers, it's not expected, though I think, gratefully received due to shortages of lots of consumer goods, but mostly I gave tips in cash.
Lots of simple over the counter drugs are in short supply in Cuba and I did take with me some childrens Vitamins and Aspirins which I gave to a young father who had been my guide on a hike in the Vinales area, but that was in addition to a cash tip.
At the end of my holiday I left what was left of my toiletries for the hotel staff. If you do leave stuff make sure some of the hotel workers other that the maids get something.
You might want to look on the trip advisor sight for Cuba as there are loads of posts about tipping.
I plan on taking a few bits and bobs but it won't be too much because of baggage weight. I will leave all my toiletries (but not my shampoo/conditioner - that stuff's expensive, sorry!) at the end of the holiday, perhaps bring some small packs of children's crayons which I'll take out on trips. Basically just have a few bits and bobs on me when I go out of the complex just in case.

I will have cash for tips as well. I was wondering though, is it like is often the case when you change money over here that you start off with larger notes? I don't want to 'overtip' but you can hardly ask people for change can you? I'm thinking of this because my money will only really be used for trips.
Make sure you ask for coins and notes in small denominations as I found that the banks would automatically give larger notes.
I think the crayons would be well received, though I rarely handed things out to children in passing preferring to visit a school where I handed over a selection of erasers, notebooks,crayons rulers.etc.
I normally travel light and my holiday to Cuba was the first time that my case was the maximum weight allowed. It was half empty though on return due to the fact that I had left so much behind.
It's purely voluntary though and visitors shouldn't feel they have to leave stuff. Tips are expected everywhere though but only in very small amounts.
Same here Judith. I am normally around 10-12kg when I travel abroad for a fortnight. What I also have to bring along for Cuba is basic first aid stuff whereas all I normally take (been to Turkey last few years) is a pack of paracetamol and maybe some plasters if I remember. Everything is usually better and cheaper over there. However, I'll have to be more organised for this trip. I thought of the crayons etc. for children of people that I might meet, whether market stall holders, hotel staff or whatever rather than giving out to random children I might see. I'm not going to take much as I've read in other forums that some people (and this is Canadians as well as us lot in the UK) take far too much, tip far too much money as it is appreciated but in some places is becoming expected - which is a whole different thing.
Sandc
Yes, do make sure you take any medicines etc. that you usually use as you will not be able to buy them there. It's a problem deciding whether to leave clothes etc., it is usually the hotel workers and bar staff that receive all the presents as most tourists stay in the large beach resort areas and maybe this gift giving has got somewhat out of hand, but when travelling in the more remote areas of the country and seeing the absolute minimum of really basic items that people have to make do with it's almost impossible to not want to help. The clothes that I left I gave to some nuns who were in a Cathedral that I visited and hopefully they will have been distributed to people who really need them.
Hope you have a great holiday, it's a vibrant, colourful destination with mostly very welcoming people.
Thank you all for your replies, and I hope you don't mind some more questions?

I have asked some of these on the Cuba currency forum but not had any replies so forgive me for posting on both ;)

How much would you recommend for a tip?

Will it be cheaper to call the UK from the hotel phone or use the mobile?

Is it easy to get a plug adapter? I have ones that work for Europe and Australia but I think Cuba's are different.

Will my Nationwide card be accepted here? We usually always use this for travelling due to the free card use abroad but Cuba is a bit different than most places.

Also, if we book any trips with the reps, would they accept debit cards as payment as they work for English companies (if you see what I mean?).

Thanks again
Hi Just a quick note in reply to some of your queries:

1) Tipping the CUC Peso that tourists use is very valuable compared to the standard peso the locals use and I find that most waiters etc are more than delighted to simply be left the small change when settiling a bill in a bar etc. When eating in Paradors we do what we do here, round the bill up by approx 10% as service charges are never added/included in the bill. I've never stayed in an AI tourist hotel so don't know how tipping works in such places.

2) The cheapest way of keeping in touch will be to use txt messaging or emails via an internet cafe or the local telecom shops. Using the telecom office 'taxi' phones will be the cheapest way of keeping in touch if you want to actually talk to someone at home and will beat both hotel and mobile charges.

3) I stay in private homes and find that most sockets are flat 2 pin ones at 110volts and you need a US adaptor. but in alot of them the air conditioning if there is any runs off a 220volts supply with a round 2 pin socket for which you'll need a standard European adaptor. But remember Cubans are great re-cyclers so I now always travel with a universal adaptor set just in case I meet something new - it wouldn't surprise me one of these days to find that someone has rigged up something to run that nice Australian gadget that a visitor left behind or someone's nephew sent home! I've only stayed in one hotel for one night and you needed a US adaptor for there but don't count on them all being like this. An email direct your hotel is possibly the best bet.

4) RE the use of debit cards your best bet is to use them to draw cash from an ATM that issues CUCs and use them to pay for excursions etc in cash. The reps might work for a British company but they'll only be acting as an agent for the local state tourist agency - either Havanatur or Cubanacan. And Cuba is a cash economy. You should find that your Nationwide card is accepted by Bank ATMs but check that it is a Bank and not a Credit Union - the latter can only be used by members. If your card is rejected by an ATM this is most likely because it's a Credit Union one - it's not always easy to tell the difference. The Banco Credit y Comercio is a bank and they're ATMs seem to take anything other than cards issued by american companies/banks. Whatever you do, only use a credit card as a last resort in an emergency - you'll end up paying a hefty surcharge for it.

SM
We have never been to Cuba before and planning to go next May, could anyone give me some ideas of the best place to go to any info would be great.

thanks
Can you give us some indication as to where you're staying?

ATB,J.
Hello,
We are off to Cuba at beginning of August, staying at the Iberostar Varedero. Having 3 nights in Havana first, staying at the Parque Central. As we are first timers to Cuba I would be very grateful for any info on either of these hotels, weather, things to see and do etc.
Also seems a silly question, but is it ok to take i.pod and Nintendo DS. My husband seems to think he has read somewhere that it is not advisable ?????. Last question.....what about the money, change it at the airport or the hotel ??.
Thanks for your help.
Moved to MP3/DVD/CD/GAMES CONSOLES/CAMERAS ETC...CUBA thread
  • Edited by GM06 Ian 2008-05-09 05:04:20
THIS is the thread you need ;)

Pippy :)
Traveling to Porlamor airport in 4 weeks, staying at Cayo Coco.

Does anyone know if menthol ciggarettes are available either in the airport on arrival or in resort (Hotels).

Anyone know the price of 200 average brand ciggys menthol or otherwise ?

GM06
Ian
Hi all, as we going All inclusive we dont plan to take a lot of cash but heard its always good to tip the waiters and staff which we are more than happy to do. As its our first time in Cuba, could someone give me some advice about this. What currency is best? how much is enough? any info would be good,
Thanks.
i to would like to know as well .we go on the 5th of june.........
We tipped at least a CUC (Cuban Convertable Peso) which was about 58p to us but worth much more to them. Do this and they will look after you well during your stay - however it's not compulsory to tip.

We also handed out toiletries and clothing to the people in the towns & villages though there isn't as much poverty in Varadero as they work in the hotels.
As well as tipping, we took colouring pens and pads etc, for the maids to give to their children or younger siblings. they were enthusiastically recieved. We also left unwanted clothes and toiletries for them. Get some cheap t-shirts or shorts etc from Primark and just leave them there. Sunglasses are also popular, even shoes. All tips are appreciated, usually 1 or 2 CUC, but there are many items that are simply unavailable in the shops. PS don't forget the gardeners etc, not just maids and cooks. We loved Cayo coco, hope you do too.

Mark 8-)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.