Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Damaged luggage
15 Posts
I dont know for sure but I think you should have complained at the airport to the company that are contracted to off load the luggage.
you should claim off your travel insurance. as qatarman said you should get a report if you can. however it is still worth trying to claim from the insurance company. you need to check you policy out though as this happened to us once. it was a brand new case that cost £50, but our excess was £75 so there was no point claiming in the end.
This happend to us once - case looked as though it had been opened - (everything was fine) however we had to make our initial complaint in the airport to the serviceair department.
We had this. Our new suitcase was badly damaged. You have to complain at the airport. They have a new thing now though. They keep new cases at the airport. If they have 1 that is like your damaged one you can have that. Or if you dont want to you can claim. They dont compensate with money (at gatwick anyway) anymore but will replace your case. We accepted a replacement sent by courior(which you have to accept without seeing it) and was given a rubbish case. What a rip off, so be careful.
Happened to us last year when we flew with First Choice just went to the desk at the baggage claim area they took a look at it gave us a REF No and a number to ring when we got home and a indentical suitcase was delivered to us next day. Well impressed.
Mine was also damaged by First Choice earlier this month on my return from DR. I filled in a form at Gatwick and a Samsonite Flite was delivered a couple of days later by courier, it is a tad smaller than the damaged one (80lts instead of 120lts) but is a better quality and I too was very impressed.
Lynn
Hi

When i landed in Mumbai airport, India. I was waiting for my luggage to arrive on the convey belt. Anyways once it did arrive, I went to pick my suitcase up, but it was stuck onto the convey belt!! I could not even pull it out. Anyways after waiting fot the convey belt to stop moving, I finaly got my suitcase pulled out! The whole of my brand new suitcase was ripped!! The whole of the fount was damaged and ripped!! And I was gonna be in India for another 4 weeks!!

I have been to India and Mumbai airport many of times, this has never happend!

So I comlained at the airport! Threatend to take it further! Anyways the next day at my Hotel. They delivered a much bigger and better suitcase for me! I was so happy :)
Just returned from Majorca & didn't realise our middle luggage trolly had been ripped along the top till next day (it was dark when we landed). Anyway, rang First Choice who told us to ring Manchester Airport, who gave us another number to ring, who gave us another number to ring. Then we had to put it in writing. Gave it up as a bad job, as phone calls probably cost price of new luggage - next time, will not buy brand new & will ensure we check it before leaving the airport.
2 of our cases were damaged on the First Choice Dom Rep return. I suspect that by the way all the cases were thrown on to the rack at this end upside down double stacked etc, that the problem is with a disgruntled gatwick employee.

didn't see anyone to complain to and had a taxi waiting so couldn't hang around.

When we booked the taxi we didn't realise that we would have to walk most of the way back so did not allow for extra time.
didn't see anyone to complain to and had a taxi waiting so couldn't hang around.

With First Choice, there is a desk at the side of baggage reclaim where they examine the damage to your case, fill in a form and show you a picture of the case they can replace it with, you get a copy of the form and your new case is delivered in a couple of days. You can, if you wish elect to have your case repaired.

Lynn
Just a heads up on this - cant help the original poster but it's important to check the condition of your baggage AS SOON AS you take it off the baggage carousel.

I know, I know, you either just arrived on holiday and are excited or you just got home and are tired, but just give your bags a quick once over before you leave the baggage hall.

It is so much easier to make a claim when you are still in the baggage area, than once you have left.

I know its a pain,something else to remember blah blah, but if your bags have been damaged, or even worse had something stolen from them, you need to get your claim or complaint in right there and then.

Cloggy, you may have a problem with this claim as you had already got home before you noticed the damgage. Its so annoying. Hope it goes ok.
We decided to visit the toilets before leaving the hall so when we got back to the cases there was only us and the customs officers left in the area.
Too late now but I will complain to First choice anyway as I can't see a lot of point in them continuing to allow a couple of unhappy people ruin what what is otherwise a brilliant holiday and so it is an area they should address.
You should definitely raise a complaint to First Choice but also to the Airport Authority, especially as you suspect the damage happened at this end. It's so frustrating especially after a great holiday.
If your luggage is damaged, speak to the airline rep in the baggage hall and ask for a Property Irregularity Report (PIR), which you should complete there and then - and take a copy. It's a comprehensive form in use by most if not all airlines.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.