Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Denia??
21 Posts
Hello Allan, Have a look at my web site and that will give you some idea of Denia town, if you need to know any more let me know and I will see if I can help.
Stephen.
Thanks Stephen,

I'll certainly check out your link, many thanks.

Alan.
Alan
During May the climate should be nearly perfect and although there will be fewer tourists, services should be fully operational.

Stephen
Would you let me have your web site details please?
Thanks Laurie,

One other thing, is Denia a very 'Touristy' destination or does it have a very Spanish feel. Going so early in the season I'd prefer it to be quite authentic as I much prefer to experience the real taste of a foreign country and am not one for chips with everything and crate loads of Brown ale. Can you still find the real Spain there or is it just another Mediterranean hotspot, much the same as anywhere else?

Thanks

Alan
We are going to Benidorm next week and are hoping to go to Denia to
meet up with my brother who will be there in his caravan. Can anyone tell me whether it is better to go by train or bus please?
Sue
Denia relies on tourism so is well geared up for tourists. However, there is very little of the "kiss me quick" culture in evidence. It has more of a cosmopolitan feel in the summer as there are so many different nationalities there and staff in restaurants and shops always address you in Spanish even though they will probably know that you are English. In some parts of the town it does feel very Spanish as there is a lot of industry and commerce with ordinary people going about their business. For this reason, it is not picture postcard pretty like Moraira. However, the town has a lot of character and interesting features and you would have to try hard to find somewhere doing "a full English" - if at all.
Linconsue, Id opt for the train journey.Its more scenic.The bus will probably take you the motorway route.On my weekend break in Denia early this year.I had a car,I drove the old road to Benidorm,much more to see.Trains run from Alicante,terminating at Denia
Sue
I agree with Pipefitter. I have been from Denia to Calpe on the train and it is very scenic - at this time of year the orange fruit will be out. It will probably take about an hour though, although the bus might not be much quicker. You would need to check timetables on that. By car - the journey is about 30 minutes.
Thanks Laurie,
I'm glad to hear that it's not going to be too touristy, an authentic Spanish town is just what we're after. Moraira sounds nice. Hopefully we'll have a car at our disposal, it would be nice to get out and have a look around the locality.

With thanks

Alan
Alan, if you like markets and wine there is a Saturday morning boot/craft market in Xalo (Jalon),not far from Denia.
Across road from market is a Coop bodega selling reasonably priced local wines(taste before you buy).The village of Xalo as its spelt on road signs(Jalon on maps) can be reached via Pedreguer CV732 and Alcalali A141.
There is another direct route via Lliber CV748 and CV745 but road is hard to find and a little more narrow out of the village of Gata de Gorgos
There is another market on a Sunday just out by J62 A7
Hi lauire, if you click on the www link below my posting that will take you strait there.
Stephen
Stephen, I can't see a link. Presumably the moderator has deleted it??
Hi lauire. the link is just beside the pm tap strait below my post it just says www.
Stephen
Denia is very nice, we have a 2 bed apartment on the La Sella golf course which is a 5 minute drive to Denia, which we will be renting out next year, if you would like any more details please contact me.
Denia is a working city and I have lived here for a few years now. May is a good time for a first visit as it isn't usually too hot at this time of year and most of the bars and restaurants are open for the summer season. There is a fresh fish market in the port every day except Sunday and it is possible to visit the Balearic Islands from Denia by ferry. The Tourist Information Office is easy to find and the people in there are very helpful. We have got 10kms of sandy beaches and the main "holiday" part of town is the Las Marines area. The area near the Town Hall is "old town" and the castle is situated behind the Town Hall. There is lots to do and lots of places to visit if you want to use Denia as a base and visit other towns and villages around about. I am sure you will not be disappointed as Denia caters for most people's tastes.
Laguna
laguna
I visit Denia regularly but have not been there at Christmas or New Year although I have been out in December. Does everything run as usual or is everything closed for several days. Are there people around at the usual busy times of day or is everyone hidden inside with families. I am still trying to understand how things work - as you know Sunday afternoons are usually like a ghost town and I assume Christmas would be similar once Church was over. However, I was there on the Sunday of the medieval market and was surprised to see so many people around on a Sunday afternoon.
Laurie,
Christmas is similar to most places; the main places open on Xmas day are Church (naturally) and restaurants. However, you may be aware that the Spanish are famous for their fiestas and New Year is usually party time but the main celebrations take place on 5th January when there is fantastic parade down Marques de Campo (the main street in town) and all the Spanish children receive their gifts. This is the festival of The Three Kings and sweets are handed out from the floats to all the crowds which line the main street. I think the parade begins at 6.30p.m. and lasts for a couple of hours. The tourist information office will have more details. So far as what is open is concerned all the supermarkets etc. usually post their opening times up on large notice boards near to the checkouts and on the doors.
Laguna
Hi Laguna,what about the banks is it the same as the uk,just closed for a few days in between.
Stephen.
Stephen,
Unfortunately I have only just read your post as I have had some problems with my PC since my last post on here so I apologise for not replying sooner. I hope you managed to find out about your bank opening times over the holiday period.
Laguna
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.