Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Devbagh Island
7 Posts
Was a few years since we did this trip, booked it through Daytripper, but never seem to hear about the island mentioned now, so not sure who runs trips there.
Arrive by car/bus and transfer to a small motor boat to take you across. Only thing you could buy was Kingfisher/pop/water so make sure you take all essentials and any food you may need to get you through if what's on offer ain't for you.
Great set up and very quiet, you either get huts on stilts (better than the ones at Palolem) or cottages which we had.
Food wasn't brilliant but maybe it's changed now ? Had a bbq at lunchtime arrival and a big buffet around 7pm Nothing there to do at all except chill out or take a walk around the island - you have to look where your feet are going to hit the sand when you walk to the far end of the island as it's used as a toilet by the people who live there..
Hope someone can update on what it's like now for you, we would go back but but found Khola Beach 10x better and would have had more than the 1 night stay if we had more time.
Sure you will enjoy whichever you go for.
Yes...agree totally with Spike here...four of us were the first one's that went to Devbagh with Daytrippers - at that time we went by train and were met at other end by driver/car. Sounds like we stayed in same bungalows as you Spike - food was similar - bit windy one night with curried eggs, curried lentils and curried cauliflower :rofl At that time hot water wasn't 'on tap' and I was totally DELIGHTED to get bucket of hot water - heated over the fire - albeit it was 3 days after I'd asked for it :rofl

You all had your meals in a sort of outside 'bandstand' - and yes we took our own Honeybee with us ;o)

Very very peaceful - set amongst casuarina trees. Agree too with Spikes info 'you have to look where your feet are going to hit the sand when you walk to the far end of the island as it's used as a toilet by the people who live there.. ' lol! They live in a village far end of the island.

Each 'hut' has it's own hammock too and at that time there were no sunbeds on the beach...don't know if this has changed now. We were the only 'europeans' too - lot of indian holidaymakers - just couples and mainly honeymooners.
To add to Spike's and Betty Boop's comments...

It's definitely a chill-out place. There was an early morning nature walk when we were there and would recommend it. Well worth getting up early for. Rest of the time, you can laze in your hammock, walk along the beach where visitors are outnumbered by the fishermen, collect shells, chase crabs, and in the evening just sit around the camp fire and chat with other guests.

If you'd like to see some pics, send me a private message and I'll be happy to forward some. It's a beautiful place.
Still undecided! With Daytripper it is £75 which seems a lot of money for what it is. We have done other overnight trips on our own for much less than this to secluded beaches so we will have to think about it a bit more.
Did a search to see how much it would cost to book independently:

Found two different sites, both quoting the same price:
Rs6000 pp/night for foreigners.......but only Rs4000 pp/night for Indian nationals!

So seems DT's deal is good value considering transport is included, but don't think I'll stay there again and pay 50% extra for discrimination, lovely as the place is!
I think you would find the same thing all over India, the nationals always pay less on entrance fees etc than the overseas visitor. Thanks for your research though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.