UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
There used to be a train from Penzance to either Glasgow or Edinburgh (can't remember which) but it would be a long journey.

My friend's parents stay in Devon and any time he goes down to see them he flies to either Exeter (with Flybe) or Bristol (with Easyjet) from Glasgow, depending on who has the better prices.
Doing a quick check on easy jet flights you can do the return journey for the two of you for 111.96. Suppose it depends on how much you want to pay really :tup
Thank you for you replies.

Is Easy Jet only from Bristol, or do they fly from Exeter. £111.96 is a very good price. :tup

Thank you

Kaz
According to Glasgow Airport's website only Flybe flies to Exeter.
Kaz,

Just done a dummy booking on Flybe site and for you and your daughter its coming out cheaper if you stay and return on the Nov 10th at £123 for you both, dont know if you want hold luggage which you can take off the price in the booking process and just take hand luggage which they allow up to 10kg per person.

It is only Flybe that flys from Exeter, I live in Newton Abbot and use them for my mothers flights from Jersey.
The flights at the moment are just £2.34 its the taxes that bump up the prices.

Angie.
Thanks Elaine :tup

Thank you Angie,
I'll have to work out how much it'll cost to stay longer at the hotel...Didn't really want to stay that long with my daughter. :think
Do you know who flys from Plymouth? Might be an option?

Thanks

Kaz
It's AirSouthwest from Plymouth - possibly via Newquay, but prices from £39 all-in at the moment.

Link here
Kaz,

As alanwall has stated its AirSouthWest from Plymouth but the dates you want are via Newquay, did a dummy booking and the price comes out at £220 for you both.

Angie.
around 7 1/2 hrs if you drive and around 13/14 hrs by coach&rail....one hell of a day out however you lok at it
Air Southwest's timetable say their Saturday flights end on 24th October.

National Rail journey enquiries won't show your weekend until the end of next week although the Saturday connections aren't as good as Monday-Friday. However, with most options you only have to change twice not 3 or 4 times. The normal Saturday journey would be around 8½ hours, Monday-Friday is about an hour faster. There is one option where you only have to change once but it takes longer (although it may turn out to be the cheapest).

Even when the timetable is released the cheap Advance fares may be another week or so behind, the calendar for when they are out is at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/booking_horizons.html

There is some good news though, you've got a kid and that means you can use a Family Railcard. Even if you haven't already got one the savings over this distance could more than pay for it.

If we could find cheap tickets to London on the Friday evening it might be an option to use the London-Glasgow sleeping car service which is not only a very comfortable journey but also an adventure for a 6 year old. It's a pity the old Bristol -Glasgow sleeper doesn't run anymore. By the way, I never understood why anyone travelled all the way on the old Paddington- Glasgow train, it took about 2½ hours longer than from Euston!
Wizard surely it's not that long by rail? :yikes

Hi Steve :wave:
Thank you for all the info... We could travel on a Friday I guess. But must go home on Monday.
Wouldn't fancy the overnight :yikes
We must have travelled from Euston before then, as it only took about 4 hours to Glasgow. £37 return. ;) And we also flew from Heathrow before.

Before I moved down here, I always travelled to Paignton from Paddington.

I have a rail card, well think it's run out. :think

Only other option, go to London, stay with parents, then get train to Glasgow next day.

Thanks

Kaz
kazz

i was looking at a Saturday .. on say a Friday you could go

leave Paignton rail 10-10
change Exeter st Davids
change Birmingham new street
change Carlise
arrive Glasgow central around 19-05

wiz
My info for Saturday 7th November is:

Paignton dep 10:05
Manchester Piccadilly. arr 15:00
change
Manchester Piccadilly. dep 15:16
Preston arr 15:55
change
Preston dep 16:41
Glasgow Central arr 19:01

------------------------------------------
for Friday 6th November:

Paignton dep 11:23
Newton Abbot arr 11:39
change
Newton Abbot dep 12:03
Birmingham New Street arr 14:56
change
Birmingham New Street dep 15:20
Glasgow Central arr 19:19

the Friday times are a pretty safe bet but until things are confirmed next week who knows what the Men with Cranes are planning for Saturday....
If we could find cheap tickets to London on the Friday evening it might be an option to use the London-Glasgow sleeping car service which is not only a very comfortable journey but also an adventure for a 6 year old.

And it can be very cheap if you are able to get in quick and bag a couple of 'Bargain Berths' as soon as they are released on the Net. The Aberdeen/Euston sleeper is definitely my preferred way of travelling to London for the weekend. I can board it at my local station just before 11pm on the Friday night and wake-up in Euston around 7.00am the next morning. Leave London just before 9.00pm on the Sunday and arrive home at approx 6.30 on Monday morning giving me plenty of time to shwoer and change and still be in work for 9.00am. And all for £38 return if I'm in quick enough for the cheapest price. I have friends that I stay with but even if you use a hotel it gives you 2 full days in London for £38 plus the cost of 1 nights B&B.

SM
Timetable is now officially out at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk and is as I said.

Most Advance fares for the Saturday are released , some connections aren't properly linked unfortunately. But still waiting on Monday's.....

At the moment Arriva are offering the Paignton-Manchester direct train at £22. The connection I quoted has no advance price (at the moment, Virgin might wake up later) but you can get Manchester-Preston for £6 and Preston-Glasgow for £6.50. The service an hour later is showing a through Manchester-Preston-Glasgow ticket for £12. These are adult prices and could sell out. Usual child and railcard discounts apply, so for example with a Family railcard the combined price for one adut AND one child for the Paignton - Manchester sector could be £18.70 !!!
Thank you for all your advice and help... ;)

I am going to sort out our trains on national rail website.

Steve thanks for all your help. ;)
May have a slight change of plan..... :duh

Now thinking of getting the train from Paignton to Paddington and staying overnight at my parents, then the next day getting the train from London to Glasgow or Clydebank.
That way it breaks up the journey.

Have seen trains from Euston to Glasgow for £17.50 on way, no change. :cheers

Was wondering about the new fast trains to Glasgow. Who are they with Virgin? And from which London station?

Just need to get a train straight home from Glasgow/Clydebank to Paignton :duh :que
Yes they are run by Virgin but not on your Saturday - the men with cranes are descending on the section between Crewe and Preston so there will be no direct services between Euston and Preston/Scotland, you'd still have to change at Manchester.

National Express East Coast have a direct service from Kings Cross at 11:00 which takes just under 6 hours and is available for £18.55 adult Advance single. By November this will probably be a British Rail route again but prebooked tickets will be honoured.

Get yourself a Family railcard first - you'll save more than the cost on just this trip and then have the use for the next 12 months.

And get one of these as well http://www.bitecard.co.uk/home.asp for 20% discount on food and drinks at loads of outlets on UK rail stations (those shown as being run by SSP on the little signs about ownership). It's free and includes some pubs !! I have no idea how it pays for them because you don't have to do anything other than give them an address to send the card to, no junk mail or anything!
Hello again Steve :wave:

That's a shame about not running on Saturdays.

My family rail card has run out so I need a new one, and I have a bitecard already thank you ;) Never used it though.

Thank you.

Kaz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.