General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Diazepam
49 Posts
I know of Americans who take Ambien to help them sleep on the 'red eye' flight from the US to Europe.

Personally I'd never take any medication of this nature because if there were to be an emergency, you can't guarantee that your responses would be up to speed ........
Danny - I think I'm right in saying that Diazepam work as they build up in your body. I don't think that one tablet should have made you feel "spaced out". Have you tried a natural remedy such as calms?
Hi Helen.

I have tried calms before but after I finished the course I never bothered buying them again.
I wont be taking anything else next time its put me right off and still was a wreck anyhow lol.
Oh and forgot to say its instant with them anti dep tablets you have to build on.

Danny
:really :really Can't believe the doctor gave you 10mg ones. No wonder you were spaced out. We give our really confused patients in work up to 10mg but start them off on 2 mg first and build up if necessary. 10mg would have been too high a dose for just a calming effect.
Agree totally with Marlou... 10mg :yikes
2 as a starter dose, 5 if you're large size and MEGA nervous......

ATB,J.
I'm sure I got 2mg when I had a phobia about the dentist,just as a calming effect.10 mg does seem very high,as somebody else suggested take Kalms,or speak to your pharmacist.
we used to give one of our residents emergency diazepam for prolonged seizure. Not pleasant.

I cant beleive you were given 10mg...that is quite a high dosage..even our most violent agitated people only had a maximum of 20mg PRN in 24 hours.
10mg is a high dose :really patients normally are given no more than 5mg as merseygull states. Have you thought of taking a travel sickness preperation? they contain an ingredient that makes you slightly drowsy, just enough to calm you-of course you would need to check if they are ok for you to take. Maybe you could also try Baches rescue remedy if you wanted to try natural remedy.

Lily. x
Yes it was a high dose but my doc obviously felt I needed it. I explained I was going away and was feeling anxious about the flight ect.. but the worst drug I have ever had prescribed early last year is called risperidone and that was only 2mg I lasted 2 days on that! Marlou and Val you'll know what that is even I still dont no :rofl Im not on any thing now but have been thinking about a small doasge for my next holiday as I get very anxious until Im at the hotel.
What exactly is it that you get anxious about? Would it not be better to try to overcome that, rather than resorting to drugs? A lot of airports now do special courses for people who are scared of flying, so it might be worth checking those out. At the end of the day, the only way to beat a fear of anything is to confront it head on.
I've used this for dentist trips and I didn't feel spaced up, I just felt calm, than I felt really angry later but there you go xx
resperidone was generally given as an anti psychotic to patients...they were either bi-polar or they were scizophrenic. Only in my experience. I am not suggesting you are any of those things. Does flying really make you that anxious?
10 is high. My son has anxiety problems and, along with his other medication, he's prescribed Diazepam 5mg. However, his tablets are easy to split in half as there's a line across. Diazepam is another benzodiazepine name for Valium. So don't drink if you take such a high dose

If they were prescribed last year then I'd return and maybe ask for a lower dose ie 2 or 5mg. If you get the 5mg then snap them in half I reckon that should be enough to calm you down seeing as you've flown before.

Good luck x
I still don't like flying but I can cope. I have just managed a shuttle Manchester to Gatwick, overnight at Gatwick, Cuba the following day. Coming back got off the Cuba plane, had 3 hours, and got on the shuttle up to Manchester - all without any meds, herbal or otherwise. I am really pleased with myself :)

I used to be a complete mess when flying. White knuckles, tears rolling down my face, the works. I had hynotherapy which really helped. The doctor wouldn't give me valium etc so he gave me some beta blockers (Propranolol) but very low dose. They worked great. I used to get 10 but never used more than 2/4 over a couple of days. Slowly I just cut back and then tried without them.

I don't like delays because the waiting gets me stressed and gives me too much time to think!
Other than that I am so, so much better. Not as good as I would like to be, but I am getting there.
I usually take 2mg before flying but they don't touch the sides so end up drinking as well to really calm me down. I think maybe next time I will ask for 10mg so they knock me out enough I'm able to sleep.
What about something like Phenergien (not sure about my spelling) I think you can get that over the counter rather than on a script. I know it can be used for travel sickness, and presumably you can just take it as a one off and then after the flight and its out of your system you will be back to normal. (I'm not a medic like all the others who are contributing, so you would need to ask the chemist).
I've never heard of them Doe but I will have a look next time I go to the chemist. :tup
Phenergan can be bought in tablet and elixir form. It is an antihistamine that can be used for allergies and motion sickness. It can also be used as a sedative or sleep aid. You should not drink alcohol while you are taking it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.