Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
dips?
8 Posts
thanks Mark, is it bigilla as in big, the g sounded or as a j??
Hello CG.

Have you been here ??

http://www.geocities.com/bhenwood_2000/fish/bigil.html

Plenty of good recipes

Fallan
Hi Charlie, that will be bigilla it's made from broad beans, garlic, lemon, and olive oil, very nice with gallettis as a beer snack, I'm making ros il-forn for tea it's so yummy, hope you had a nice hols.

Regards
Sliema2
Hello, talking of dips I had a funny one last weekend in Madrid, we went to a Tapas Bar for a meal on the Saturday night and had lots of things of the menu along with lots of vino tinto. I asked the waiter what kind of chesse we had got was it goats or cows milk and he told me it was a kind of fish paste, just goes to show how easy I am to fool but it was very nice all the same.

Dave.
Bigilla is made with dried broadbeans which are very difficult to find in the UK ! You soak them over night, change the water. Boil them up, change the water, boil them up change the water then leave on a simmer for a while !
Traditionally you would crush/mash them by hand but you could use a decent stick blender (has to be a good one or you might find it burns out) add some good extra virgin olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, fresh chopped chilli and then some green herbs like mint/parsley (you could use corriander or even basil if you liked) plenty of black pepper and salt to taste. Mix it well in and if storing cover it with more olive oil and place in the fridge.
I personally like to add some finely chopped spring onion and put some veg stock cubes in the final cooking of the beans but this upsets my mate who introduced me to it ! . :rofl

Best served on slices of freshly toasted hobs (Maltese bread), now I'm drooling again ! :wave:

Steve
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.