Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I can understand that you felt very unsettled by this - but from what you've said it sounds as if this was a case of a couple having a very public row, but not much more than that, and I'm not sure that the cabin crew could have done anything more than they did which was to try and keep them apart on the plane. And if they weren't being aggressive towards other passengers and if she wasn't prepared to make a formal complaint with regard to his behaviour towards her then there was little the police could do either when they disembarked. I find any sort of 'domestic' unsettling but unless a legal offence has been committed or there is a clear cut public safety issue ie an offence is about to be committed, the fact that others who witnessed the behaviour find it offensive or unsettling does not necessarily give the police grounds for intervening.

SM
Thanks very much for the reply. I just felt the whole thing was very unsetting especially as there were children on aboard. It is unbelieavable how people can behave in this way. I agree that no public order offensice was committed but it would have been reasssuring if the Police had just taken them to one side and had a word, just to point out their unacceptable behaviour..... Anyway, Thanks for the reply :) .....much appreciated..
it would have been reasssuring if the Police had just taken them to one side and had a word, just to point out their unacceptable behaviour.....

But someone would have to report the incident to the police first - how else would they know what had gone on during the flight? I'm not excusing the behaviour of this couple - far from it - but I'm not sure how the police were supposed to know about what had happened in order to have a word with them?

SM
SMa wrote:
But someone would have to report the incident to the police first - how else would they know what had gone on during the flight? I'm not excusing the behaviour of this couple - far from it - but I'm not sure how the police were supposed to know about what had happened in order to have a word with them?

If the situation is serious enough and warrents it, crew would normally contact the destination airport to alert local police of an onboard incident so they can be at the gate when the aircraft arrives on stand.

Darren
Which is what I thought Darren - it's the same on trains - and I've seen the police board before any passengers could get off in order to be sure that they apprehended the right people but because the police weren't taking any interest in disembarking passengers I'm assuming that the cabin crew did not report it and ask them to be ready to take action? There's no indication that anybody drew the attention of the police to this couple as they got off the plane and without that they are just two out of hundreds of disembarking passengers with nothing to identify them as having behaved in any untoward manner during the flight.

SM
this sort of behaviour is normal in Britain (and possibly other countries) and the crew probably have it regularly.

When you say people raised concerns do you mean they specifically told the crew and asked them to do something or were they being very British and whispering about it to the person sat next to them but not wanting to be the one who makes a fuss? If the crew were fully aware of how upset others were it's worth asking for an explanation from the airline.
Hi Steve......yes a few people did actually voice their concerns as their young children we upset but as you said the majority sat and said nothing....until the plane landed then they raised their concerns. Even though no offence was committed it was an experience that I wouldnt like to go through again.....
Actually an offence may have been committed but to prove it they would have needed a lot of people to say something at the time. That's the trouble with planes, all one tube - on a train they can be seperated in different coaches. And it's a bit easier to get the police.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.