Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Divali in Goa
29 Posts
Fizzy2 ..what date is it on this year ....... :glynis colleen
If my information is correct IC it is 9th November
:cry: :cry: AWWW thats our wedding anniversary.but we wont be in goa to the 17th this year .....thanks anyway ....colleen
There are some pictures of the carnival things in the album -it looks really good.
Just thinking Fizzy2 ...polly50 was telling me that when we go in march it will be ....HOLI......then... thats where the indians all chuck paint at eachother I think .....anyone know more about it and can tell me more please .....colleen
I think Holi (festival of coulour), is the end of February - early March. We went second week of March this year and it was just coming to an end, there were still a few people wandering around covered in powder paint!! And we kept finding bright coloured patches on out towels (from the sunbeds!!)
Miccie, not sure if that's the same thing. I have been for shigmo carnival and holi. Been to Panjim carnival years back. Holi is the festival of colours and yes, they do chuck paint over you IC so don't wear anything decent! The local people go nuts with youngsters on their bikes or backs of trucks whooping it up - its great. I think they get through a lot of feni at this time. :lol: We have also been "highway robbed" where they put a rope across the road and won't let you pass unless you pay them a small ransome (or you get covered). :yikes But i havent been there for Divali and I am so looking forward to it but not sure what to expect. :glynis
Just noticed IC - you arrive 17th - we depart 19th - may get a quick drink in then :glynis
Or did you mean 17th March?
fizzy2 - Diwali is also known as a "festival of lights". It is a happy event that symbolises victory of light over the darkness. there is much firework going on and it is one of the most popular festivals in India.
you are happy to be there at the time :-)
elephant
Sounds good to me Lozza.....I must remember to take some old clothes with me can you just see me covered in paint :yikes :yikes ..colleen
elephant, is it also when Laxmi visits the brightest lit houses first and brings good money luck, or have i got this muddled up with another Hindu celebration?
Just a quickie. I looked on holifestival.com to check the dates for next year because I know the date varies each year. According to that website Holi is on the 22 March next year which is a little later than usual. That means we'll be there as we go on 20th. :D
I know it's a little off topic but was reading the aforementioned website about the Indian festivals and found quite an amusing section on tips for staying safe during the holi festival. It would appear that paint is not all that gets thrown as one of the tips is not to worry about being hit by rotten eggs as they are a good hair conditioner but to draw the line at being hit by tar, s--t, stones and rubbish ! yuk. Other tips include the wearing of sunglasses, dental caps, face creams and nail varnish. It also says you should oil your hair ! Don't suppose I'll be looking my best then wearing all these plus my oldest rags in 100 degree plus heat. And as if that wasn't enough the advice is to avoid over indulging on alcohol, food and Bhang and not to drive under the influence of Bhang. Then the final tip is to carry pain killers in case you have ignored all the previous tips ! only in India eh. Can't wait now :shock:
Yes I think HOLI festival is 22 March. Colleen - Polly sent me a link all about it, I will find it and forward it onto you :D
fizzy2 - i do not know for sure but it can be, because Lord Mahabali, Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi are worshipped during this festival. in some Hindu calendars this is a beginning of the year.
elephant
Thanks for the info elephant - I think my diary says Hindu New Years Day is 10th November, I presume that November 9th is equivalent to our new years eve then! Flippin nuisance about Holi starting on 22nd March because thats my birthday and we would normally be there but ......not this time :( I am really looking forward to Divali though it sounds like a wonderful celebration.

Sim1 - I'll leave Holi to you next year, sound like your going to have fun :lol: :yikes :rofl
this is the start of the pictures I was speaking of, for Diwali - it looks great, they are in the Calungute album
Hello Again Fizzy2....Re the 17th we get to goa on the 17th of nov ...and again on the 17th of march what a great day to arrive for st patricks day ....so anyone up for it ...its going to be a brill night in molly malones ...so come early I want to meet you all for the green beer ......colleen :glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.