Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
I would not try it. Not because it's dangerous or anything, it's just that the public transport is very hit and miss and crowded. The major form of local transport in Cuba is actually hitchhiking. I would go on one of the organised trips as not only do you get there in an air conditioned coach, you also get masses of information about Cuba and it's history from the tour guide who travels with you. In my opinion this way is loads better and is well worth it.

Cheers

Keith
I would not try it. Not because it's dangerous or anything, it's just that the public transport is very hit and miss and crowded. The major form of local transport in Cuba is actually hitchhiking. I would go on one of the organised trips as not only do you get there in an air conditioned coach, you also get masses of information about Cuba and it's history from the tour guide who travels with you. In my opinion this way is loads better and is well worth it.

i agree 100% with the above you would also get alot of points of interest pointed out to you along the way to Havana, which you undoubtedly would miss with a d.i.y
I would not try it. Not because it's dangerous or anything, it's just that the public transport is very hit and miss and crowded. The major form of local transport in Cuba is actually hitchhiking.

As a tourist, you'll be well able to afford to use the Viazul buses ( http://www.viazul.cu ) which are all newish airconditioned coaches and which will proved all the same facilities as the buses used for the organised excursions. There are 3 buses a day on the Havana - Varadero route but you probably won't be able to do it as a day trip though - you'd need to book an overnight stay in Havana to get the best out of it. By our standards Viazul buses are very cheap to use and of as good a standard as you'd get here.

There's bound to be a branch of either Cubanacan or Havanatur (the two state-run tourist agencies) in Varadero and you'll find English speaking staff there who will be able to book both Viazul tickets and a hotel for you. It's unlikely to work our cheaper than booking with your TO as they will simply be acting as agents for trips run by Cubanacan or Havanatur themselves, but it would be a good way of doing things at your own pace and to experience the local 'colour of the usual tourist trails.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.