Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Did you take up any of these concerns with the rep in resort?

If so what was the response and did you fill in a complaint form?

fwh
Went to see the Rep at the first opportunity 25/05/08 but he was dealiing with another couple. I waited and explained the situation and he gave me a form to complete but said due to the time it would take me to write such a lengthy complaint, he could not wait around and told me to leave it at the hotel reception desk for him to collect.
Saw him again on 07/06/08 to complain about other things and found out he hadn't collected the first one!
So, I gave him both, which he signed 07/06/08 and gave me copies of.
I queried him signing my initial complaint on a later date to me and asked if it would mean the complaint would not be valid. He said that because he had issued the form and was aware of the complaint and I had actually signed it on 25/05/08 it proves I had brought it to his attention.
Apart from that he didn't give a response other than agree I should put it in writing to T. Cook on my return.
I forgot to add that when the coach finally arrived to take us to Las Palmas, I spoke to the T. Cook rep (a different one) who said I should speak with the one in the hotel. A lot of good that was when we were on our way home!
At the airport I spoke to another rep who said he had never heard of flights from Las Palmas going at the revised time that T. Cook had informed us of and said he couldn't offer an explanation.
Your complaint is in two or possibly three parts.

First is that you had found out there were substantial works that effected your holiday yet when approached Thos Cook failed to address or reply to your queries.

Second there were problems regarding flights and difficulties at the airport. Delays that are due to unexpected problems with an aircraft are something that could not be foreseen, but the manner in which you were treated by their representatives does leave much to be desired.

The fact all food outlets but McDonalds were closed is something no TO can do anything about.

I am a smoker but accept that in some cases I am unable to get access to a smoking area. That's life.

The problems with your duty free is nothing to do with the TO. Your problem was caused by the security regulations.

The problems you experienced at the hotel is something you would have expected the rep to sort out. They failed to do so. Some years ago we also had a problem - with Thos Cook coincidently that the rep would not address. I emailed head office from the resort and got action within 24 hours.

Always worth considering even if nothing happens.You establish there is a problem which can assist your case when you return.

I would suggest you read your story through and consider what part is sods law - the food problems and duty free - and what parts really needs to be addressed and possibly compensated.

Compose your letter of complaint with bullet points for each particular grievance. With respect, what you have written is hard to read due to lack of paragraphs. Any letter of complaint needs to be as clear as possible and each specific point made clear.

Attach copies of the complaint forms completed and signed by the rep (never originals) and send your letter - signed for either recorded delivery or registered post.

Normal practice is for an acknowledgement within the 28 days they are allowed after which they then have a further 28 days.

I would suggest you apply a time limit of 21 days from the date of your letter, and advise you may institute legal proceedings if they fail to reply positively within that period.

The code of practice states 28 days but there is no reason why you may not apply your own conditions providing they are reasonable.

fwh
Thanks,
To explain further: the vouchers were to get food/non-alcoholic drink. Considering we were supposed to have a meal on the plane, cake and coffee is hardly a substantial alternative, plus I do not eat muffins. In addition, if there had not been an hour delay in getting the vouchers, we could have eaten in a restaurant. Adding to that, I forgot to mention that the vouchers were dated incorrectly as the 24th May when in actual fact we got them on 25th May, which meant they were not valid for the date we needed to use them. When the eateries eventually opened (05:00) they refused to accept them, which meant another trip to the information desk and more wrangling with T. Cook.
I quite understand that we had no God given right to be taken for a smoke but in all fairness, the Rep should have told us that we would have to go back through customs again. It would then have been our informed choice whether to go or not.
My post was meant to give the gist of our predicament and not in the form I would send to T. Cook. I have an hons degree in English so am quite capable of writing a coherent letter, correctly paragraphed and punctuated.
I intend to follow through my grievance and will not hesitate to take it to the small claims Court if I do not receive a satisfactory response from Thomas Cook in the very near future. I will give them the required 28 days and then file a claim.
Hi smurfitt.

You certainly do have some valid points. I would do as fwh says and bullet point the letter in a clear and concise manner. What went wrong and how it affected you. Clear out the stuff that they are not responsible for. They will not give you a thing for airport procedures being inconvenient or just plain incorrect.

Tell them how much you are expecting in the way of compensation - many folks pussyfoot around the issue and its best to make your intentions known from the beginning.

Don't threaten legal action unless you are 100% committed to following it through. Because of the compensation culture we live in these days, TO's receive 100's of letters making threats for the silliest of things (sea too cold/salty/fishy, it's raining/too sunny, lack of English food and foreigners - I kid you not) and they just don't take them seriously and understandably so in cases like these.

On a final note, I'm sure fwh meant no offence. He's just trying to help.

Louise
Thanks,
I'm clear on what you say but not sure what is a reasonable amount to ask for re: compensation.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
A good start is to total up exactly what the actual extra expenditure you incurred and for which you want to be re-imbursed was (for example, the 20 Euros you spent on inflatables that you couldn't use and that you wouldn't have otherwise bought had the notice been prominently displayed) but they'll probably ask for receipts or other proof of the costs incurred.

Re the loss of enjoyment of your holiday, that's going to be much harder to quantify and to start with most TOs operate a rule of tumb that the flights account for 60% of the holiday cost and so any compensation will be based on a % 0f 40% of the total cost of the package. I'm not sure how much value you can put on the missing poolside activities etc but if you ended up spending money to keep yourself occupied that you wouldn't otherwise have had to spend then that's another good starting point.

With regard to the delays and the problems at the airport, it sounds as if they met their obligations re refreshements in the end even if you did have a lot of hassle, so I wouldn't expect to much there - the big compensation payments only kick in later are are really related to you being bumped off flights and not delays due to technical problems with the aircraft. It might be worth checking out what compensation for delays might be payable against your travel insurance.

SM
Hmmm....what about the fact that not only did we have a 10 hour delay to start the holiday but also received a letter the day before our holiday (dated 1st March) stating our flight back was to be 5 hours earlier. We ended up waiting the whole 5 hours and were not informed that our flight had been reverted back to its original scheduled time.
Yes, a 10 hour delay is frustrating but as fwh has pointed out - this appears to have been for reasons outwith the control of the TO and in such circumstances they are not usually liable for compensation beyond proving you with refreshments.

Re the delay on the way back - was the revised earlier departure time confirmed in the resort? Did you check with a rep and were you specifically told by them that the revised time still stood? And was there a notice telling you when the bus pick-up would be? I'm not being awkward - simply asking the questions that the TO will ask.

Finally, the best person to give you some sort of more definite answer is Ros - have you spoken to her? And what has her advice been?

SM
You should never submit an amount of compensation that you would be willing to accept. The TO's offer, if any, could be higher. (Ros has told me this in the past)

Wasn't there a notice board in the hotel confirming your pick up/flight time as this is usually the case when travelling on a package holiday? Were other holidaymakers waiting also?

I would certainly submit a letter outlining the main points of your complaints ie the fact that you weren't informed of the pool closure, the tennis court condition etc. If you include your photo's obviously keep copies.

I'd mention the return flight fiasco as well (send them photocopy of your letter and a copy of the date franked envelope), and you can then add for eg 'this situation added to our frustration due to our outbound flight being delayed by 10hrs'. So I'd make the return flight your main complaint but add the outbound flight at the end to show that you had problems with both legs of your journey.
Yes, there was a noticeboard with flight times. But because we had the letter informing us that the flight had been revised and to disregard the times on our tickets, (which coincided with flight times on the noticeboard), we did so.
There were no other holidaymakers from our hotel flying back to the UK (or anywhere else for that matter).
I might have been inclined to check with the rep to be on the safe side and to check what time my 'new' pick up time was.
I think that I would have been so inclined too and I suspect that not doing so provides the TO with a 'get out of jail free' card on that because there's now no way that you can prove that if asked , that they wouldn't have made it clear that the original times stood and that you wouldn't be picked up until 1.00am.

SM
I telephoned T. Cook on our day of departure to find out why the flight had been brought forward but.....you've guessed; couldn't get through!
Upon arrival at Gatwick I asked at the T. Cook desk but they were not aware of any changes.
I asked the TC hotel Rep on our 2nd day to find out why the flight had changed. He phoned the airport who were not aware of any such changes but it turns out his enquiry related to the weekend before we were due home, (we were on a 2 week holiday; not 7 days).
On the day before our return I asked him again to check as the flight times on the noticeboard were showing as the original scheduled time. He said he was not aware of the flight being brought forward 5 hours but it was our decision to take a risk of missing our flight if it had been revised without his knowledge. After all we had been through, we weren't prepared to take a chance of being told we had missed our pick up and flight and therefore would have to wait for a flight with available seats or pay for it and be stuck at the airport for hours on end so spent the last 5 hours of our holiday in the hotel lobby .....waiting yet again!
We are in the season of complaints and requests for help and advice.

Members and contributors to HT may only express their own personal views and opinions.

Whilst some of them may be very accurate due to the occupation or experiences of the poster they are still only a personal viewpoint.

Postings back and forth are not taking you any nearer to a solution.

The very simple answer to your problem is to contact Ros Fernihough

Contact details here - viewtopic.php?f=49&t=117254
The only connection that Ros has with HT is the number of members she has helped.

She neither reads or contributes to the forum and is one of the top people in the country on travel law and its many alleyways.

fwh
Yes, I have tried contacting Ros to no avail. It may have been too late in the day. What hours is she available?
Ros is available normal office hours. If you don't get through to her you will definitely speak to her P.A. Pam who is extremely helpful and efficient.

Sarah
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.