General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
There's very little "logical" about the "fear element" kicking in either

As the conversation was about people using the loo, what I said was"¦.
you'll find that the pattern is repeated when the seat belt sign comes on for landing and there are logical reasons like the fear element kicking in at the thought of coming down from 35,000 feet
"¦which was just one of the reasons I gave.
Logical/explainable reasons of why people use the loo, don't try and twist it to imply that I was disregarding the anxiety that some people genuinely feel about flying.
As we are not birds, It is not natural to be 35,000 up in the air and the effects of adrenaline and why people feel frightened can be logically and medically explained, and why they have to use the loo because the adrenaline rush relaxes the sphincter muscles.

The emotional response to fear is highly personalised, some people thrive on the adrenaline rush by taking part in extreme sports and other scarey thrill situations.
Others have a negative reaction to the feeling of fear and flying is one of those situations for many people"¦to them it is VERY real, but it can be logically explained.....claustrophic conditions, no control over the situation, thoughts of death. etc
Have you never heard the term "I was so scared that I :swear myself".? :D
Sanji
Thanks for the lecture, sanji...at least if I ever found myself sat next to you on a flight I know I'd have no trouble sleeping! ;)
I don't think you'd get much sleep, I'd get up from my seat more often, just to annoy you. :rofl
sanji wrote:
I don't think you'd get much sleep, I'd get up from my seat more often, just to annoy you. :rofl

Well, that's nice coming from the one who's so ready to preach about "tolerance"...

Think I've said all I want to say on this thread, enjoy the view from up there on the moral high ground, won't you? :sun2
Well, that's nice coming from the one who's so ready to preach about "tolerance"...

Yes, it's so nice to annoy those who have no tolerance with people who need to go to the loo. :rofl
Life must be so boring being so perfect, but one day you may be in the situation where you take drugs for one condition, which causes you to need the loo often.
There by the grace of god...... and I hope people are as tolerant towards you, as you are to others....what goes around, comes around. ;)

BTW: The view is great....just because I didn't agree with your opinion about people traipsing to the loo.

So, just to keep it nice and friendly......I'll say no more.
  • Edited by Sanji 2010-02-08 21:05:32
I started this thread purely about people trying to get up when the seat belt signs were on. I did not complain about people going to the loo in general although if it is because they have been drinking excessively in the departure lounge bar before boarding then I have no sympathy.

Sanji - it would be nice if your replies didn't have that rude and aggressive edge to them.

Pippa
:whoops Well I've just been reading through this thread and agree with Sanji about the 'need' to go to the loo and sitting on 12+ flights with, like Sunbear has said, the 'seatbelt lights' on for ages when no turbulance.

I can normally 'hold' myself for ages but Sanji has now explained re adrenalin rush WHY as soon as I've peed and got back to my seat... :rofl it's not long before I feel the need to want to go again!..and no.. ;) not 'tanked' myself up at airport bar before the journey.

Sanji - it would be nice if your replies didn't have that rude and aggressive edge to them.
Well maybe it's just me..but as I said I thought Sanji's post was very informative - especially about people who are on medication - maybe you meant to direct your reply to blondiescot who, IMO, twisted things with
Thanks for the lecture, sanji...at least if I ever found myself sat next to you on a flight I know I'd have no trouble sleeping
I have read that many airlines are tending to leave the fasten seatbelts sign on for longer periods as a safety measure since what happened on the Christmas day flight to the USA.
I always ask for an aisle seat as like many woman of an advancing age I need to use the toilet pretty often. Other than a coffee I don't drink before boarding the plane, but I do drink water throughout the flight. I also like to walk around on the plane, I certainly can't stay in my seat for 10 -12 hours on a long haul flight, cramped seating and inactivity can be a deciding factor for getting a DVT. Even on a short haul flight I usually need to use the loo. I always fasten the seatbelt though when I am sitting down. But at times when the seatbelt sign is on I have to get out of my seat to answer natures call.
I usually ask for an aisle seat so as to be able to get easily out of my seat, but you don't always get what you want.
Hmm..I have purposely kept out of this thread..but having just returned from a very tedious flight...I can totally understand the logical points made in Sanji's post..but equally, people should not be a law unto themselves and barely wait until the plane has got into the air. If they are that desperate or if they have a problem, they could discreetly ask the cabin crew if it would be ok or how long it would be before the lights came off etc.

Like Pippa, I too have no sympathy with anyone who has got themselves bladdered in the airport bar before hand (incidently Pippa, I am not sure why you think Sanji's post was rude and aggressive..it read to me as though she was trying to give different explanations as to why people suddenly need the loo) but speaking for myself, there are certain times of the month when I could pee for England...once I was in a really important assessment of a psychiatric patient that St Cath's were trying to rehouse..I had one cup of coffee and had to leave to pee 4 times...I was platting my legs each time and unable to concentrate I needed to pee so much...I think maybe I had been retaining water when I had either been pre-menstral or actually menstruating...it didn't look that professional but it couldn't be helped. it would have looked totally unprofessional if I had pittled myself whilst trying to interview a patient.!

Thanks for the lecture, sanji...at least if I ever found myself sat next to you on a flight I know I'd have no trouble sleeping!

I think that post was out of order and totally unecessary...no wonder people are contributing less and less to these forums if that is the response they get.
For many years now I haven't taken any flights over 3 hours and luckilly seldom need the loo on a plane, which is why I try for a window seat so I can tuck myself in and read or even drop off to sleep and don't get disturbed by people getting up. This means that I'm probably the type of passenger who annoys others by snoring.:rofl Joking apart, we are all different and I doubt many of us set out to annoy our fellow passengers with trips to the loo but, to paraphrase what Sanji says, there are lots of reasons why people may need to go and we all need to be tolerant.
Ok guys... there is no need for personal attacks.

Either keep it friendly or this topic will be locked.

MarkJ HT Mod
lol. If you need the loo then you need the loo! Simple as that really!
Also to be fair if you've had two or three pints you will need the loo quite often even though you are nowhere near 'Tanked up'!!! You get to the airport and have two hours to kill so a couple of drinks in the bar is quite the norm I'd say! Plus many people have a drink or two to settle the nerves! I reckon if you have two pints you're going to need the loo at least every 30 minutes! (and that's just the pilots) :D joke!
One thing that does get on my nerves though is if the person behind me needs the loo and decides to pull the top of my seat back 2 feet as they get up! :) . I feel as though i'm about to be catapulted towards the cockpit!
What else annoys me? Erm when theres a baby behind you crying so why not give them a rattle to bang on my seat!!! That'll be nice for me! Also what about just before takeoff when all the stewardesses try and look at your crotch! They say they're checking if you have your belt on but I know the truth!
What about the pilot telling you his name and information? My heads losing vital pin numbers trying to store all that in! Also, now I know it;s wrong, but what about when the pilot starts talking and it's a womans voice, you can just see everyone on the plane looking at each other thinking, 'She can't reverse park, how's she going to land this thing' ;)
Chivas, we can always rely on you to put a fun twist on things :offtop :rofl
when all the stewardesses try and look at your crotch!

if I was you Chivas..I would be more worried about the Stewards looking at your crotch... :rofl
if I was you Chivas..I would be more worried about the Stewards looking at your crotch...

True, sorry I was being quite sexist and should have put steward person, or cabin member, or trolly dolly person, or crotch gazer as they shall now be known!!! :)
I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy a drink or two at the airport, after all it is the start of my well earned holiday. As I have a weak bladder I often find myself waiting for the seatbelt sign to go off so I can go to the loo, so what! :que I don't however get out of my seat whilst the sign is still on. I also try and time it so I go to the loo before the seatbelts have to go on for landing as I can't abide waiting in the queque at the airport toilets.

Apart from visiting the loo on a couple of occasions, I like to have a wonder up and down the aisle to break the tedium and avoid DVT. This is why I like to have an aisle seat.
:rofl Chivas every time i'm on a plane now and they check the seatbelt is on that't the first thing that i will think of. I'll be getting funny looks when i start laughing to myself.

Garry
Lol, sorry but you know it's true! See what happens if you leave your fly undone! :)
An interesting side note to this topic is a comment made in the report on the Eurotunnel problems in December. One comment was that there should possibly be a briefing for passengers of what to do in an emergency.

As we know passengers on planes ignore them so I doubt if 600 plus on a train would. Of course even more fun is the number of toilets available on the trains.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.