General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We've driven in America and what we found was that after a while we got confused as to what was right and what was left - so in the end I used to yell left/right and raise the corresponding arm so that hubby knew what I meant! A tip given to us by our American friends was that when we drove on the Interstate, always stay in the middle lane, let everything else go round us.

We've also driven in Australia but, apart from the big cities, that was comparatively easy, especially as the drive on the same side of the road as us.
I always hire a car for the duration of our holidays abroad and don't find it a problem at all driving on the right-hand side of the road as long as the car is a left hand drive. I drove our own car to France when we visited Paris a few years ago and it was far more difficult because of the driving position. My wife has been driving 25 years and although she is always down as an additional driver on the hire agreement she has never driven abroad or expressed any wish to do so. As a nervous passenger, she is also a good warning system because she can hardly bring herself to take her eyes off the road in front and is constantly reminding me which lane to be in !
My wife has been driving longer than me but when we are on the continent will only drive on the motorway as there is nothing coming the other way. She won't drive on non motorway roads!
We always hire a car because there is so much to see when in another country. My husband drives and I am his second pair of eyes!!! The most nerve-racking was when he had to drive a 30' RV through Vancouver after just picking it up but once on the open road he soon got used to it.
We always hire a car as usually works out cheaper then booking a transfer plus taxis in resort etc. I have always been comfortable with this untill hubby took us on a trip through Montana de Tauro in Gran Canaria, which is a two way mountain road, higher then the clouds but is more like a mountain bike track with no barriers at the sides. The kids and I were terrified and I have told hubby in no uncertain terms I will divorce him if he ever takes us there again!!
In Italy 2 years ago we were driving though the hills of Tuscany. Mrs Hi De Hi had the map. She found a scenic way back to the villa. Turn left she said. So I did. The road got narrower and narrower. The tarmac became gravel. It was so narrow that I couldn'tturn the car round. We drove like this for a mile or so before coming out onto a mettalled road. When we got back to the villa I checked the map (it was a large scale Michelin) and it turned out that the road was in fact a footpath! very pretty though!
nope I cant drive in the UK < plus I like to relax on holidays as well. and my hubby don't want to drive abroad either.

we just normally stay with in the resorts or use transport that is around like taxi or buses
Cyprus is one of the few civilized countries left where there are still a lot of unpaved roads, AND one drives on the left, AND one can hire a little 4x4 Suzuki and have great fun.

It's changing fast, they are paving lots of the rough tracks, and the insurance companies are starting to get a bit sticky about where you drive, but I try to go there every couple of years for a bit of extreme "off-roading".

Since I've been driving for over 45 years, I'm now rapidly heading for the milestone (or is that millstone?) of age 65 years, and guess that insurance is going to become even harder to get.
However while they let me do it, I still will!
when you say insurance, do you mean for you or the vehicle? Because personal injuries received whilst off-roading may not be covered by many ordinary travel policies whatever age you are.
personal injuries received whilst off-roading may not be covered by many ordinary travel policies

Thanks for that comment, Steve.
I'd been thinking only of vehicle insurance - ie in case I break the motor somehow.
However.....
You prompted me to go and actually READ my Travel Insurance policy - and nowhere does it mention personal injury while driving a motor vehicle, even on normal roads - and it's an AA policy!
It does however mention that it DOES cover motor cycling on public roads.
So maybe when driving abroad it is critical to pay the extra on the vehicle insurance to cover personal injury.

And then I read my policy more and really worried myself. Jet Skiing and low grade White Water Rafting are NOT covered unless notified in advance and additional premium paid.
Been there done both those before, and thankfully escaped unharmed.
And mountain biking is NOT normally covered, and especially NOT covered if it's downhill mountain biking.
Which I had been planning to do soon in the Blue Mountains in Jamaica......
:whoops
you should read the travel insurance topic, some policies barely let you get out of bed! I found one that didn't cover swimming in the sea or in any pool without a proper lifeguard on duty. I wouldn't worry too much about ordinary driving on a surfaced road - that would be viewed as normal life - but off roading is always one to double check.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.