General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
No you're not mad, I am always talking about my holiday too, thinking about what we are going to be doing etc. It is all part of the fun and excitment :cheers
Oh I absolutely LOVE the build-up to a holiday, it's almost as exciting as the holiday itself!
Looking on the internet to find pictures and information about where we are going, finding books about the place, planning where we might go and what we might see, and even if we are going somewhere we've been before, looking forward to just getting there and looking around...
Doing a big Primark for clothes, co-ordinating mix & match outfits, shopping for suncreams wondering whether I should invest in a new suitcase... It's a bit like the Boots advert :lol:
The best bit is annoying everyone at work "this time next month/next week/tomorrow..." :-D
Love the build up. Would even go as far as saying that it can be better than the holiday itself!

Just got back from hols and the last few days I wasn't well, which spoilt it a bit. Still had a great time though! Don't know about you but everything is always perfect in the build up, you don't think about the what ifs. And counting down to going on hols, is better than trying not to count down to going back to work!!

Louise
I love the build up , from the moment I go and book my holiday it's always on my mind (sad I know) I just love the buzz of it,I love browsing in the shops thinking yes I will be buying my holiday clothes soon, also looking at anything to do with holidays like suncreams, watching sky travel etc .

It's a bit depressing this year though as i'm not going away :cry , but as soon as they release the brochures I will be booking up then looking forward to it,My other half gets sick of hearing me talking about the holiday so I normally bore the kids.

At least I have this forum to come on and that in itself is a build up to my holiday
Yes, the build up is great. I get just as excited looking forward to a short break
as I do for real holiday!
The best part is the week leading up to it - changing all the beds (!) cleaning out the fridge(!)
missing out on the weekly trip to the supermarket etc.
It is all worth it though because we say "next week this time, we will be on holiday!!!"
We have just come back from ours and all last week, I was saying " last week this time, we were on holiday"
It is lovely having something to look forward to, isn't it?
Love the build up. Would even go as far as saying that it can be better than the holiday itself!

As good as - I'd say. :rofl Hubby starts counting in days when we have around 125 days to go, then we have targets, such as 100, 50 etc - now that's what you call sad :D We're now on 47 days to go, & I've started to think about creating my luggage labels on here. I'll make them, then my sister ;) laminates them in work - job done! As we only have 15 kgs allowance this year, I'm buying all my toiletries, suncreams etc in Gatwick airport, so a list for that will be next on the agenda.
Oh Abosulutly, I am a pain in the ****, my other half all he gets is spain, flamenco, airline, Tapas, rioja, Malaga, Airport, Cant shut up, Got list of what I need to buy, and what I am taking, excel spreadsheet done, 8 weeks for me, Costa del Sol watch out Il be there, doing a giddy dance at malaga airport when I land.... I have spanish flamenco radio on and the moment, watching you tube (Malaga, fuengirola videos) Crazy Cray, but build up is :cheers the best part...
thank god i am not alone. i get my self giddy and like to listen to the local english radio stations on the net where ever i am going. find out whats on an around the rersort aswell my fav used to be OasisFm Radio inTenerife :sun2
I love the build up to my holiday as well. Lots of lists (im a spreadsheet girl too Kazza), lots of internet searches for new info, tips, pictures, I have to mention my holiday at least once a day to anyone who will listen and probably bore some of my friends/family senseless.

It doesnt matter how many times I have been away, each time is like the first time.

Im off at the weekend so this week has been total chaos. I should be ironing at the moment but have to get my daily fix of HT in case something new has come up ;)

Hair was done today, daughters tomorrow, waxing on Friday - its all preparation and part of the build up.

By the time we get to the airport, im so worn out I need a holiday just to chill out and get over the excitment of getting there.

Sarah :)
Love the build up - websites to visit, reviews to read :yikes days to count, lists to make.
The best part is the week leading up to it - changing all the beds (!) cleaning out the fridge(!)

I don't like that part. I do make myself clean thehouse from top to bottom eventhough both my sons will be at home :que
I can become over excited closer to the date and try not to think about it too much once we hit 14-10 days. Then, once I know I'm organised with all the packing done and the house cleaned (about 2-3 days before), I look forward to a visit to the beauty parlour for the pre-holiday pampering - eyebrows and nails. The night before our departure for the airport is spent tossing and turning in bed for a few hours without much hope off getting any kip. Don't you just love it :D
I've just realised that the most exciting part for me is getting up in the early hours, getting dressed ready for the flight and wheeling the cases out of the door.
Aw, you are sooo right ! the build up is as much a part of the holiday as the holiday itself !! sadly, I've done that, had the holiday and come home to more work than ever before !! bloomin' rubbish !
So, right now am researching next years hols, gotta be done, have the holiday blues , only been back a week and a bit and am down about not being able to afford another holiday this year, boohoo ! :cry
I actually don't like it. I don't mind the booking bit, do a some research and print off anything I want to keep/take with me...and once I've done that, I put it to the back of my mind until I arrive. Oh, apart from five minutes writing a list of things to buy/pack/do. I hate the fact that I don't have time enough to shop, etc., I pack at the last minute (drives my other half wild), I don't want to discuss to death what I haven't yet done, I hate being at the airport, and I'll do anything for a short transfer. My partner is the opposite on most of what I just typed!

Once I get there...bliss. Now it's my holiday.
I'm with Phoebe, I don't like it either much.

Even though I'm excited about going there is just so much to do.

With us both having a medical condition that can render us in pain and totally drained I worry that it won't all get done. It's like sitting on a time bomb. :yikes
There is always at least one thing we want to wear or take that I can't find :que
And with other half having panic attacks and vomiting because he thinks somethings going to go wrong its all a bit of a nightmare really until the adrenalin kicks in and we shut the door behind us on the way to the airport. The last couple of holidays haven't been too bad as we took family with us and the doctor sorted out medication to stop him throwing up. I think we both did a very good job of looking excited so as not to upset our little grandson. :)
I always do a spreadsheet too! The thing is for the last few years we have gone to the same place where we lived in Turkey but I still get excited, even though it is like my second home :cheers
I absolutely live for my holiday, but totally HATE the build up to it.
Does that sound strange?

I get all excited when we book our holiday, and bore everyone rigid going on and on
about it for a few weeks! :haha

But as the holiday gets nearer - ooooooooh :cry
I get myself so wound up - stupid I know but...:que

I think it's because I have so much to do - like all of us have do. :ghug

(And we put more on ourselves too, don't we? Like cleaning the house from
top to bottom "so any burglars can see we keep a clean house" to quote my husband!)

I just get so, so stressed about it all - daft I know bit I just can't help it.

Luckily, my family are used to me now, and just ignore my panics/rants etc.

But as soon as that front door shuts behind us, and we are on the way to the airport,
I'm right into holiday mode! :cheers
I must admit I get a bit panicky for a few days before we go as well. Mostly because I just can't sleep for the first couple of days away, & know I get tired. I usually end up having a few words with hubby before we shut the front door, as he literally does nothing but stupid jobs on the day we go eg. scrubbing the dog run & the back - jobs which could be done days earlier& we always seem to be waiting for him. He then wonders why I get so stressed. The only thing he had to do when we went to Benidorm at Easter was put his flight bag with the tickets & passports in the car - and then he left it behind. :duh I had more than a few choice :D words with him then I can tell you
I absolutely love the build up - every single bit of it - even buying teabags to take away with me - I love torturing my husband with lists and making him walk round Boots and Superdrug picking the best offer on suncream...............all of that stuff!!

The bit where I AM strange - and funny I talked about this on here years ago and Briar (the mod) said she was the same:-

When I get to my destination I count how many days Ive got left - like on the first day "ah Ive 13 days left till I go home"..................sad innit - and how much money I have budgeted each day etc - its not that Im obsessive about it - and I AM enjoying my holdiday - just my little foible I suppose :really :)
yes, I do enjoy the build up from getting what I need (ie, suncream etc), but I find packing stressful with the have I packed everything I need always running through my head!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.