General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
Frank wrote:
I had to use the quote button to see the embed code, then copy and paste it into my browser in order to run it on an IPad.

Frank I couldn't see it at first but then used the tip you told me about earlier and I clicked on the curly arrow and it worked on my IPad :tup

Good, also when it plays in this way via the embed the pause and stop buttons are available on an IPad. The long winded method using code opens up the YouTube app, which does not show pause and stop buttons on screen. They only appear if you tap the centre of the playing video. ;)
:tup thanks again Frank, I'm learning all the time :tup
I was born in the 50s and we had quite a few of those then including the whistling kettle on the hob and the rolls of caps for your pistol.
The rolls of caps were a new invention! I recall the small tins of individual cap that you'd put under the hammer, the pull the trigger. (Mind you, black powder was a new invention, back then!)
made a bigger BANG if you put several 'caps' on at a time.
remember the potato gun that did actually fire pellets of potato with the caps, or even the spring loaded potato guns.
Oooo I loved caps!! We used to run our nail over them to set them off :really

I too was born in the 50's and last week, on holiday, was talking to my friends about the things we did then that would have us taken into care nowadays. Such as lighting the coal fire and to get it started would use the shovel and newspaper over the top to 'draw' it. Then we advanced to the gas poker & I'd march from the kitchen with this flaming torch which was connected to the gas oven via a rubber pipe, into the lounge to poke it into the coals.

I'd seen my gran washing the upstairs windows so off I went cloth in hand and sat on the sill and pulled the top sash down onto my knee whilst I washed the top window.....I feel ill thinking about it.

We had lots of fun too though. Playing out in the 'rec' over the road with our four wheeled skates on & if your friend didn't have any skates then you'd have one each.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mRYAD2QFTKI/TOOoTDprsLI/AAAAAAAAAKk/PfXNqBpzXpw/s1600/DSCF3170.JPG
We really could rake up some memories here. let's keep it going folks.

Tin baths - outside toilets - no carpets on the floor unless you pegged a rug from old clothes - lino if you were posh.

Coal fires in the bedrooms - hot bricks for hot water bottles - mangles and then later twin tub washing machines - B&W TV's - the novelty of watching the first adverts on the telly - cutting up old newspapers into squares to hang on a nail in the outside loo to use as toilet paper - being scared to go to the loo because of the spiders and Black Clocks in there.

Sanji x
I remember my Gran pressing her clothes by putting them under the carpet. She had Lino down but with a big rug on top and her stuff for pressing went underneath :que

The iron being connected to the light socket on the ceiling, so the bulb came out, and the iron went in. Then gran would spit on it to see if it was hot enough.

Potties under the bed, I wasn't allowed to call it a potty though I had to say chamber pot :rofl

The smell of oranges and fruit at Christmas, Christmas never smells like it used to.
liberty bodices :yuck
And wearing navy knickers for gym. Can you imagine having kids doing that now??
Platform soles! Black and white tvs.
Navy knickers, I remember them well, they made great floor cloths apparently.

Gym plimsolls with a number on the rubber toe cap.

Rugs going out into the alley to be beaten, then came along the Ewbank carpet sweeper.
Looking forwards to going to high school so we could wear long trousers, four Domino cigarettes for 6d, Gran had a black range that always had a large kettle nearly boiling on it and a row of irons warming up and her rock cakes always tasted of paraffin from the stove they were cooked in
Childrens favourites with Uncle Mac, Sparkys magic Piano, Tubby the tuba, The runaway train came down the track and she blew, Bimbo Bimbo what you gonna do io... This is the story of the three Billy goats gruff... The Emperors new clothes , Freight train freight train going so fast... Nellie the elephant packed her trunk ...to name just a few favourite requests.
Radio Luxemberg... Horace Batchelor's infra draw method.. in K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M :rofl
Aww I had Sparky's Magic Piano record, it was red I think, & I would play it over and over again :tup :tup I remember all of the songs you mentioned Frank.

I also remember whenever we sat down to Sunday Dinner Billy Cotton would be on the radio, Wakey wake ho! Der der da der der der. Lol.

Also Jimmy Clitheroe & Old Mother Riley :tup

We used to go to our local cinema on a Saturday and were minors of the ABC :tup
I went to the Odeon on Saturday mornings. They showed a serial which ended with the hero being killed, then next week it started with the bullet completely missing and he's alive again!
As soon as you mentioned a Billy Cotton, I could smell Yorkshire puddings, that's amazing.

I also remember "Take it from here" on the radio, which featured the Glums. June Whitfield and Dick Bentley (playing Ron and Ethel ) would sit in the settee and you'd hear "Oh Ron" ..........."Yes Eth?" and some dreary conversation would start. Jimmy Edwards played her dad. :)
My dad played violin in a band and often away and they were sometimes on Mid Day Music Hall and Mum would make us sit and listern to them on the radio, I still cant work out why, it would have been differant if we had had a television to see him
I used to go to the cinema on Saturdays to watch the black n white version of Flash Gordon and Ming the merciless.

Inevitably the film reel/projector would malfunction and when the screen went blank, we all started booing and stamping our feet -
Then the manager of the cinema would walk down the aisle with a big stick that he would wave about and bang on the backs of the chairs, whilst threatening not to show anymore of the film if we didn't shut up.
He was a right nasty little git, he scared the poo out of us all. :D

Sanji x
Oooo not exactly child friendly Sanji :rofl

I can remember the Little Rascals, but not many more. I still remember the words to the ABC minors song though :rofl
Oooo not exactly child friendly Sanji

He'd never get away with it today, I don't know who traumatised me the most ---
Him or Ming the merciless :rofl

Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.