General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I've used sunbeds in the past but only just before a holiday so that I didn't look lilly white. However this year I am dithering. The reason being is that when I was young there wasn't the alternatives there are nowadays with the authentic looking fake tans. The only fake tan around made you look all streaky. I saw my younger sister the other day and thought she'd been on a sunbed or out in the garden, - no she'd been to Poundland (I think :think ) and bought a tube of fake tan. I'm going to get her to come round and put some on me (don't trust myself to do it on my own :rofl ) as I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

We are all aware of the dangers to our health with certain things, smoking, eating half cooked chicken etc. But if a chicken was delivered on my plate pink, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole so my sensible head says if the sun/sunbed makes me red then I should be taking extra precautions there too.

Years ago, because of the warnings, I upped my factor from a meagre 8 :( to what I use now which is 20. I've found I don't even go pink, as I'm not burning, I go more or less straight to brown. Yes it's a few days but I'm missing out the pink/red stage (where I had to sit rubbing yoghurt on my legs) and going straight to the brown.

Each to their own but just listen to your body and becareful. Happy hols :cheers
you've got to wear goggles because believe it or not the skin is so thin and just closing your eyes is not enough protection and you can get melanoma of the eye

And few people seem to be aware of the fact that not wearing decent eye protection - on a sunbed or even just in natural sunlight - increases the risk of your developing cataracts on your eyes. Cataracts are more prevalent in hot, sunny countries and, yes, they can be removed surgically but both my parents have had this done on both eyes and both are agreed that their sight is still not as good as it was pre-cataracts. Ever since I asked my optician if there was a genetic component to the chance of getting cataracts and he told my that the real danger was from sun exposure, I've taken his advice and ensured that I wear decent sunglasses that provide protection even when just dondering around my own garden on a sunny day.

SM
Im thinking of using the sun beds before going on holiday beginning of july I have quite pale skin-strangely I dont burn easily but I think we're going to Egypt and know its going to be HOT so chances are I will burn to a crisp so skin will need to be prepared..

How many sessions would you recommend and when should I start going

Sarah
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.