Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Try contacting the solicitor on this forum - Ros - I'm sorry I can't remember her surname. I know she has helped many people on here, & would be the best person to advise you.
Thomsons have always been bad with customer service. I have helped deal with complaints in the past and if 'Thomsons' was on the file we used to groan! First Choice on the other hand were not too bad until the merger.

Perservere with them. It is like banging your head on a brick wall. It took us 5 letters to even get them to admit that everything on our flight was not as described, this after incurring a 12.5 hour delay (this started 14 months ago) We have just about reached a settlement after courts summons.

It isn't expensive to go to the small claims if you want to go down that route but make sure you have tried your hardest to sort it yourselves first, which it sounds like you have.
Thanks for the responses so far.

All I really need to know is if I have any case to answer to.

I would have thought this would have been a simple one of those... as a gesture of goodwill type close outs and be done with it. But for whatever reason they are not moving on their stance. Mind you I think a lot of the time it depends on which person you actually deal with.
I remember once on a transfer back to Palma from Sa Coma there was a really strong smell of burning rubber. Everyone presumed it was in the airconditioning but when we got off the coach at Palma one of the tires was actually smoking and bald as a babys ****! I couldn't believe this and informed a Thomson rep who then seemed to have a quick look at the tire and then carry on shooing people to the check in desks! I would have made her take a note if it wasn't for Thomson getting us to the airport so late that we barely had time to go for a jimmy riddle before we were due to get on the plane!
  • Edited by Glynis HT Admin 2009-05-11 16:20:40
    Edit to correct post as per members instructions
By all means consult Ros Fernihough, but I'm having problems working out what the compensation claim is for. A flight was delayed, it happens, a coach driver was smoking at the wheel, it happens in foreign parts.

OK, a breakfast and a briefing was missed, but is it worth all the hassle pursuing compensation for that?

Peter
The suggestion has been made that you contact Ros Fernihough - Travel Law Solicitor. Ros often assists our members and will offer you free advice if the matter is worth pursuing.

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.

I do however agree with Peter of York. Flight delays happen on a regular basis. The manner in which Thomson, or any other TO or company operate their business is a personal opinion. It might make sense but it is for them to decide how they do things.

Drivers smoking at the wheel and having mobile phone conversations seem to be standard practice when abroad.

Your comments re Health & Safety are I am afraid a personal viewpoint. Here in the UK everything would appear to be governed by regulations and I would find it strange if anything they did was not compliant. The same cannot be said outside the UK and to make other countries adopt the policy here in the UK would be treated by them with disdain. Did you take the advice of the rep who suggested you complete a complaint form in resort?

fwh
From what you have written I agree with Peter in so far as I can't see an actual claim. Each individual item is an irritant but 7 hours delay isn't cause for compensation (needs to be 12hrs) and neither is the driver etc.

You had a non successful start to your holiday but I can't see anything there that will warrant compensation.
I suppose it had to be of those you had to be there type of stories to fully appreciate the annoyance.

On reflection the way the pilot handled the computer on the plane was the biggest concern, especially with it being only 2 days after a major plane crash in Spain. Turning off all the power, including lights and air conditioning, in pitch darkness was not a nice experience.

As I said in my post I was not going to complain and it was in fact the Thomson Representatives who encouraged me to complete a holiday report form. It was also them who said we should not have experienced that sort of start to our holiday and should be looking towards compensation.

If everything that happened to us was the norm, and we accept Thomson will use local Benny Hill Coaches if customers have missed their main Thomson Coaches due to late arrivals, then I suppose you are all right.

I think the fact the reps encouraged us to persue the issue, coupled with the very bad after sales/complaint department has made this whole issue a lot worse for us.

However the reason for posting in the first place was to gauge the views of you kind folks and thanks for the responses. It would appear I would be wasting my time and effort pushing this any further, and is probably time to learn from experience.
I have been a rep and I think the reason you were encouraged to write a report in resort/follow it up on your return is because complaints should be logged, even if the rep can't help at the time.

I have been sat on an aircraft when the power went off, it was a bit un-nerving but as I am not a pilot or aircraft engineer I couldn't say if it was a H & S issue.

Re seatbelts, in fairness it is standard reps spiel to advise that they are worn, whether guests do or not is up to them and here in Cyprus, if a coach is over a certain number of years old they are not required to have them fitted. It sounds like your coach and driver were laid on at short notice due to the delay. Hence the Benny Hill style bus and not very good driver.

They probably do think you are after compensation, that is the culture we live in these days.
Although an annoying and worrying experience I think Thomsons will claim that some of the problems were unavoidable and that they did the best they can under the circumstances.

Having been through the complaints route before I can assure you that it is a long drawn out process and that you really need a list of complaints as long as your arm before you obtain any form of satisfactory response from them.

In this case I don't think that the complaints will stand and you would be best to just put them behind you because I doubt that it will get anywhere(sorry).
I thought Spanish law requires anyone facing a window or sitting on the middle seat of the back row HAS to wear a seatbelt. IE, the coach by law has to have these seats fitted with belts? Thats what the rep always says anyway!
I thought Spanish law requires anyone facing a window or sitting on the middle seat of the back row HAS to wear a seatbelt.

Even if this is the case, I can't see what can be done about it now.

Peter
Ref the seatbelt point. I was sure it was not right at the time, hence the reason the Reps probably suggested we raised the issue officially. If Thomson acted properly at the time something should have happened as a result... and now is probably too late to change what happened last year. However Learning From Experience is all about treating issues like this more seriously preventing any chance of future injury. Just imagine if this year the same Benny Hill tours are used and some poor passenger ends up going through the windscreen.

Working for a company who take H&S very seriously, I cannot understand Thomsons apparent lack of interest.

I am going to drop the subject with Thomson now but am still annoyed that it was not me who first mentioned compensation. I would have thought Thomson would have been more grateful for me raising the issues in the first place and not took the stance they did. If I were them I would have sent me a very nice letter thanking me for taking the time and trouble to raise these issues and sent me a discount voucher towards another holiday as a gesture of gratitude / goodwill.

The only Lesson I have Learned from Experience is that Thomson Do Not Care, and they want to grab every penny they can.

I always used to look at Thomson as a good company, but have obviously changed my mind as a result. Who would other posters say was the company to look up to or be the ones to beat?
Who would other posters say was the company to look up to or be the ones to beat?

I think that's a question to ask on this forum - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=43

Peter
Ive asked this before but why in most other customer based companys is the customer ALWAYS right but never in the travel industry?
I work in a chain restaurant and believe me ,the customer is ALWAYS right even if they are wrong ,so why so different in this industry....
I'd really be interested in other people's views on this
The Travel industry has better lawyers.... in a nutshell..... ;)
I think as well the travel industry is a soert of remote arms lenght organisation (apart from high street travel agents.

In general you are dealing with call centres and emailing and I think this environment breeds bad customer service and 'buck passing'.

In a restaurant you are dealing with people face to face and it seems different. Years ago I also worked in restaurants and the customer was also always right even when they were wrong. Its easier to be uncaring at the end of a phone or an email but not to someone when you can see their disappointment written all over their face due to their steak breaking their teeth or similar.
We were supposed to fly home 5.55am from Zante to Glasgow On Monday 25/5/9. Coach collected us at 4.10am from hotel then Nightmare started. In departure lounge we were informed plane unable to land due to fog and delay could be about 12 hours. Some guy shouted this upstairs to us as tannoy not working. Hung around for a couple of hours - no cafe only duty free quickly running out of packs of juice. Found a water dispenser, got a drink of water but when I went back they had been 'removed to be refilled'. Seemed to be plenty of Thomas Cook reps but noThomson reps. By this stage there were 3 plane loads of passengers in departures all lying anywhere they could. We were then taken out of departures (once everyone had handed in their duty free stuff and got a receipt. as not allowed to take it out of airport). We were eventually loaded onto buses with our luggage and told we were being taken to a hotel and later would be ferried across to Kefalonia to board our plane. Several people asked about the duty free they had just left at Zante airport so the rep arranged for it to be brought to the hotel. At about 11.30am we reached our hotel and were offered breakfast. We were also given a room. Lunch was also offered until 2.30pm. At 5pm a bus arrived to take us the ferry. Several people had a phobia about boats but the rep said there was nothing he could do about that. The bus arrived at the port at 6pm where we were told there was a cafe and the ferry would be leaving at 7.15pm I pointed out to the rep that perhaps he should be buying any refreshments which he eventually agreed to. So we all trooped into this tavern with our luggage in tow. The air conditioning on the bus to the port was not working and by this stage several passengers were feeling extremely distressed. The weather was sweltering. I heard someone ask about food but the rep said we would have a meal on the plane. The ferry duly left Zante at 7.15 for the 1hr 15min crossing to Kefalonia., whereupon we got on yet another bus with our luggage and half an hour later arrived at the airport. There the staff attempted to usher us through as quickly as possible. The people with duty free items had again to hand it in and were given receipts. Prior to take off this was then given to the passengers. The plane took off at 11pm We were then told as Kefolonia is a small airport there were no catering facilities so no meals (which I had paid for) We were all given a cheese and ham roll, a packet of snacks, bite size milky way and tea or coffee. No choices were available and there weren't even any soft drinks available. Remember amongst this group there were children, elderly people, diabetics, pregnant women etc.. By this stage most of us had been on the go for at least 19 hours. Within no time the majority of us were sleeping. 3 and a half hours later we landed at Glasgow. Some uf us (including myself and husband) were stranded as there was no public transport available at that time in the morning. I had told the rep this while still in Zante but he didn;t seem interested and there were no reps at Glasgow. 2 passengers had not received their duty free (£100 worth). We took a taxi home and shall be claiming it from Thomsons. Several people were also missing work but we were not offered any assistance regarding phone calls etc...All this happened because of fog at Zante and the fact they do not have ground radar there then the fight crew had done their maximum flight time. Although Zante was lovely and we had a great holiday I wont be going back there until they do have ground radar or book better flight times when it is more likely to be clear. There seemed to be a mist coming in as we left so I dont know what happened the next day. Never again. UK holidays are starting to appeal even more.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.