Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
yes.i have also done it..............and yes my wife thinks i am cracked............. :really :duh
I am so glad I'm not the only one.......feel better now.!!! ;)
I won't do this on a regular basis but I may check for a few days in the run up my leaving just to see what the score is.
Have also checked when I have been debating whether to go down to Heathrow the previous night if I have to go for the shuttle. Leeds/Bradford flights are few and far so it pays to look also for Southampton.
Don't worry we all have our little thing about things!!

Sue
Glad it is not just me who does this then ;)

But I think it is also partly to do with that I am abit of a nervous flyer anyway so I like to see that the previous flights have got there and back safely...I know that sounds abit silly but it reassures me! :)
Just done it today

Not for me but picking Mum up from the airport next week so checked they were on time this week!!!

Silly....... :D
Yes, I have done exactly the same thing several times in the past - "does the Thomas Cook Friday 8.55am to Tenerife leave on time every week in the 5-6 weeks before we're due to be on it...?" etc :roll: :lol: Last time I was at work at the time I should have been checking my flight every week, so I asked son to check it for me before he went out to college each week...
I do it too. Also, if we are doing long haul, before we leave for the airport on our way back home, I get my daughter to check the airport website here to make sure the plane has taken off for our destination then text me to let me know. Saves going to the airport if the plane is going to have a long delay.
I do it to, but if you register at this site, you don't have to check every week, you can see over a period of weeks how a flight is doing.

(put www in front) .flightaware.com/ :tup
Yep, I do it too, drives hubby MAD!!!! CBG
I do it too so I can get a rough idea as to whether or not delays occur frequently, therefore, if we are told at check-in there is a delay, I will be disappointed but not surprised (and I get more time in the airport lounge chilling out).

If you cannot get to a computer, you can have the flight details sent to your mobile. You send a message with the airport code then the flight number and then whether the flight is arriving or departing. The first message, I think confirms the flight time, then you get another message telling you the flight is boarding and then you get another message saying 'last call'. I cannot remember what it says exactly as I haven't used the service for a while. Details of the service can be found on the Gatwick website and probably the other sites too.

I use this service on the day we go away, just in case we are having a snack when our flight begins boarding and we are not close to a t.v. monitor.
I always do this. Its part of my build up to the holiday. Just as important as case packing :sun2
Yes I do this too when I go on holiday and also a few days before I am due to go away with work(as I get to know where my aircraft goes before my flight) so your not alone.

If you are travelling to ACE with Thomsonfly or First Choice I can tell you which flight your particular aircraft operates before it operates your flight so you can watch the previous day for any potential delays.
:( I'm sad as well! I watch the arrivals and departures all the time just to keep an eye on whats happening.
I only do it if there's likely to be a problem if the flight is late. However, doing it last year I stumbled on to the evidence that MyTravel had sold me a ticket for a flight timed to go during the airport's nightime curfew. So when they came up with their lame excuse for retiming it to something useless I had something to fight back with. This eventually got me the refund which one of their staff had said was "just not going to happen".

So if you spot a recurring problem (eg your flight is always about the same amount late) do print the screen dumps, you never know how useful they might be!!
If you are travelling to ACE with Thomsonfly or First Choice I can tell you which flight your particular aircraft operates before it operates your flight so you can watch the previous day for any potential delays

Thanks, I hadnt thought of that, checking previous flights and seeing if there is any delays and therefore a knock on effect with our flight- however we are going with easyjet so will see how they are (never flown with them before)

So if you spot a recurring problem (eg your flight is always about the same amount late) do print the screen dumps, you never know how useful they might be!!

also had not thought of this either - proof of a delay every week if they are trying to insist it is a one off beyond their control :think

Will also have a look at the website you mentioned pendragon

Our flight last sunday took off 15mins late but still landed at ACE 5 mins before scheduled time so the captain must have stepped on the gas abit ;)
the captain must have stepped on the gas abit

or more likely a nice tail wind since aircraft tend to cruise at their economical cruise speed to minimise fuel use.

I sometimes look at my flights to get a general idea of things. I generally know the flight number / departure airport of the inbound flight operating my flight so I know if it's going to land on time or not. Anything can happen on the day though. I'll put my anorak on now, I like to know which aircraft I'll be flying on, it's registration so I work out which one it's likely to be before setting off. It's always nice to get to the gate and find out if I'm right or not (100% record so far this year!).

Darren
Tail winds
I flew BA from New York on the 11th March when we had those high winds. Our flight arrived in Manchester 80 minutes ahead of schedule. So early in fact at 4.50am that the baggage handlers were not even in.
Me I had been having a sleep when the lights came on 50 minutes to landing. Fantastic!

Sue
Hahaha yes i do this all the time too,so does my Mum :D
RE tail winds - I did know that but was trying to be funny obviously it backfired and just made me look stupid :oops:
But am glad to know I am not the only sad person out there who watches their flights - my friends and family think the amount of research and planning I do is mad but its part of the fun of going on holiday for me :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.