General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
i usually sleep pretty well the first night as we always go for early morning flights so would have been up since silly o clock but im usually up pretty early for the first couple of days, dunno why really :)
we don't normally sleep the night before we go as if possible we have flights out before 9 am and unfortunately from Gatwick so I'm driving down at silly o/c so we usually get a good nights kip the first night
I don't sleep the night before we go or the night we arrive, and most of the week I am in and out of bed, sitting on the balcony, or paying another visit to the loo!! not that I want to go but it's on my mind if I do that then i'll settle down and relax.

In 3 weeks I am away for a fortnight so hope after a couple of sleepless nights I will be okay, just hope I don't snore if I drop off on the sunbed. :oops:
I don't sleep well at home so when on holiday it's even worse. Snoring husband does not help :duh I hear every noise going and that's with earplugs. By the time my holiday is over I am in desparate need for a good nights sleep. Going to Florida in 3 weeks time so what with lack of sleep and jet lag I dare say it's going to take me a while to get back into the swing of things when we get back. Supposed to be in at work the day after we get back ......... I don't think so!
I rarely sleep well on holiday first night or any night but only because of the beds which are almost always singles and rarely comfortable. I always enjoy my holidays, but the first night back in the comfort of our king-size bed with my own pillow and a duvet over me instead of a top sheet that always ends up in a tangle, is bliss.
Im also wide eyed for few nights before repacking the suitcase in my mind, then with time difference etc i just cant get in sleeping pattern! Im never content with the new bed surroundings and i just want to be up exploring everything making sure not missing out on anything before i can rest.
Ive been home a week even with only two hour time difference and i cant get back into my "old sleeping routine!" Im shattered by 8-9pm then up by 5.45am.
hubby sleeps like a baby where ever he is...... :cheers

me, very rarely do i sleep much, so i tend to be up at silly o clock, and sat by the pool having a coffee by 7am, watching all those creep out of bed to put there towels down, with hair all over and still half asleep.....

then when the rest of the family surface we have breakfast, hubby then wants a quick hours sleep before going out for the night, whilst i am still awake......come 11pm i am wacked out, but still cant sleep..... :que
Generally on the first night i'll go out like a light, though you can forget a siesta.

In June there I went away with hubby, his sister and her fiance, they had siestas every day and I was awake. About a week into the holiday after running about like an idiot after them all I dared to have a siesta and was quickly woken up out of bed as they all wanted to go out early that night :duh
Hubby will sleep on & off all day round the pool, but we still go back for a siesta. I don't know why, as I never sleep and end up titivating with little things, while waiting for him to wake up :que . I don't think I'll bother going back this year unless I know I'm definitely going to sleep.
hi all...I iron pack ect for 4 of us....go to work on nights ....next day loads to do so dont sleep and running round....then as leaving for airport usually about 2am dont go bed as scared will sleep in....check in at about 4am for 7am flight....if was a night flight I would sleep for a few hours as so tired...but no chance on an morning flight....get to hotel about 2.30....lunch followed by a well earned glass of wine with me feet up....then unpack for us all so they dont mess up my ironing.........last year they found me dead to the world on the bed at 5.30...Id got a shower and laid on the bed just for a relax...so they got ready went for the evening meal then to the bar...I was still fast asleep when they came home...and I slept till 6.30 next morning.....I never sleep like that at home...when I woke up I was surprised when I realised how long Id slept ....and I slept really well the rest of the week..

I sleep best in a tent...thats why I loved camping
I never sleep well on the first night of our hols 'cos I'm scared of the dark :rofl HONESTLY!!
Hotel rooms are usually pitch black due to the blackout curtains, so I beg hubby to leave the bathroom light on. Usually sleep better towards the end of the holiday because I'm just so dammed tired!!!

Denny
I hardly ever sleep well on the first night of a holiday..although it does depend on how jet lagged I am!! (or how drunk I am!!!)
Rob can sleep anywhere, I think it stems from being a lorry driver and having to sleep in his cab in various lay-bys etc.
I need to get used to the bed, the layout of the room..or in the case of my last holiday..the fact that I was on a dive boat and it was moving up and down with the waves!!
Hi all

The day before I fly, I find it hard to sleep the night before, usually watch tv, play some online games, have also been known to go out for a walk, especialy if it looks like a nice day out side

Have even walked into to my work place, Asda 24 hrs about 4am, and always get asked why, ...cant sleep

Get back home for 5am shower, get dressed, check I have everything, taxi arrives 6am, and I am of holiday starts
I don't know why, but during our holiday to Morroco at Easter I slept more than I've ever done during the night on holiday. Most nights I was asleep by midnight -ish & apart from a LOO BREAK slept until around 7am - unheard of for me, especailly as we didn't have air con & the patio door was open.
I get up about 6am the day before we go, just can't sleep because of the excitement.
We always have a morning flight, so have to get up about 4am anyway. We always try to sleep but just end up watching telly and maybe napping on the couch.
After a longhaul flight, by the time we've had a shower a walk round and something to eat (considering the time difference too) we're shattered. Normally we go to bed at about 10pm at the resort but always get up early the next morning. :que

As for coming home, it takes me a week to get back to normal sleep patterns.
Well I did last holiday I went on in Janaury, I was travelling through the day and night, ended up seasick on the ferry, and just crawled into bed when I finally got into the cottage, and I don't normally sleep during the day! That's so unusual for me, but I was so tired.
Sleep on and off the lst night ,think it is because of different surroundings. Always leave the bathroom light on in the night so I can find my way around in the dark when nature calls.
Think or should I say hope that I will sleep well the 1st night this holiday as flying out from Manchester 6am on Monday to Ibiza, will be kn-----ed by night time :(
M
usually too excited to sleep properly and usually too hot if abroad. second night is much better by then we have usually managed to direct the air conditioning from blowing us away to gently keeping us cool lol. xphx :cheers
  • Edited by parker h 2010-05-30 17:26:56
denny..............buy a night light , couple of pound from wilkos, and take it with you.......... :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.