General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
How I long to be one of those people that can go to sleep at the drop of a hat.

Me too Helen. We were the only two of our party that were awake for the whole of the long haul flight this year-there and back and I definitely don't sleep properly the night before we go away. I doze off for a few minutes and dream all sorts of weird and bizzare things (usually to do with the journey) then lay awake for ages and then drop off into another dream. Sometimes it's hard to know whether I'm dreaming or hallucinating :yikes

As for first night on holidays I used to be worse. I think I'm so tired now after being awake for the last couple of nights before and also during the flight/transfers etc that I drop off with exhaustion. I think it's also relief that the worst part's over and now it's time to relax.

I'm the same as you again regarding afternoon siestas. Although I feel pretty tired (always up with the larks before 7am) after an early start and the heat of the day, I can never drop off to sleep. Hubby goes out like a light until I wake him and tell him it's time for a shower. I read my book for a while and then close my eyes. I can lie there awake for over an hour and by the time I could drop off to sleep, it's time to get ready to go out again :duh
Well I can join in with you two, everything you have said is me to a T, and well my hubby can sleep for England while he is away, give him a clothes line and he would sleep hanging from it :rofl His siesta great, I cant sleep or doze because of his snoring :yikes
For the 1st time this year I took ear plugs - it blocked out the noise from around the pool but not hubby's snoring :duh
My sleep pattern is rubbish on holiday as well. I usually sleep ok up until the night before when its very broken. I cannot sleep on the plane because of the motion of it (if I close my eyes for more than a couple of mins, it makes me feel really sick - im not sure if its in my head or if it really is happening, but I can feel each movement of the aeroplane if my eyes are closed :que ). The first night again, is very broken and as for siestas, forget it. I usually sit on the balcony with a drink and a book while hubby and daughter have a sleep. As the holiday progresses, I do start to sleep slightly better but that is probably due to the alcohol more than anything else (I dont drink to get drunk, but I do have a couple each night and especially on the balcony after daughter is asleep). Hubby on the other hand can sleep through anything including being on a very crowded, busy, noisy beach on a sun bed in the middle of summer, snoring his head off much to my embarassment :oops: .

You are certainly not alone Helen.

Sarah :)
It must be a man thing , being able to sleep anytime , any place , any where. I normally sleep ok on hol's . Now if you asked about going to the toilet on holiday thats a different thing altogether
normally early morning flights,so do sleep well 1st night.i sleep better on hol than at home.probably due to more liquid refreshment and no work to get up for.find out tomorrow night,waiting to be picked up 03-30 for 06-30 flight.so bye bye for a week.
regards percy123.
It all depends on hubby's snoring. More often than not I have to have a good few drinkies every night otherwise hubby keeps me awake. I do fall asleep on the sun lounger quite often especially after a late night the night before. If hubby's snoring aint too bad then sleep isn't usually a problem for me. I always sleep with ear plugs in :D
Its seems us blokes have this sophisticated radar , we "home in" on the restaurant for food, then effortlessly find our place in the bar before finding a springy soft furnishing to lay down , chill out, and rest, and within a few minutes then sending out a loud signal saying i'm asleep don't wake me up. We must be extremely adaptable at blending in to our new surroundings.
I never sleep the night before we go away but I'm out like a light the first night we get there because I'm so exhausted after the travelling and from the missing nights sleep.

Its funny that while I can fall asleep easily every time I sit down at home I never fall asleep on a sunbed. :que
silverpixie1uk wrote:
I never sleep the night before we go away but I'm out like a light the first night we get there because I'm so exhausted after the travelling and from the missing nights sleep.

Snap! :D
Looks lie its mostly us ladies that have trouble then - I wonder if its because of the stress of making sure that we get there ok & have to make sure that everyone's got everything etc & we take time to unwind. Llindy - :rofl you should speak to Shirley h - we had a delightful conversation in the pool one day this holiday, about this exact subject :rofl
i'm the same the week leading up to my holiday its broken sleep, :( the first few nights i dont sleep very well at all, this year i was up at 5.45 :yikes most mornings but i have to say i did'nt feel like i needed more sleep.
been home for two weeks now and every morning i have to drag myself out of bed so tired how i wish i was still there,
booked for next year let the countdown begin :rofl
I never sleep very well the first night in a strange bed . Well that's the way it feels anyway :( .
Usually the 2nd night I'm so exhausted I don't have any problem but I'm always awake bright and early on holiday . I always leave the curtains open so as soon as daylight appears I'm awake . 6am no problem .

Now the other end of the day is a big problem for me . Usually yawning by 10 pm and you can forget anything past midnight :rofl
Now the other end of the day is a big problem for me . Usually yawning by 10 pm and you can forget anything past midnight

Me too Lyn. Up with the larks in the morning. We were walking along the beach at 6.30am on our first morning during our last holiday. I was out of bed at a similar time every other morning for the whold 2 weeks but come 11pm I was happy enough to go back to the room. I prefer the mornings to the nights anyway so I'm quite happy with that.
I never have any trouble sleeping on hols...ounless we have noisy neighbours. In bed around midnight then sleep till about 10. Hubby is the opposite, straight of to sleep but up by 8.......just in time for the "towel run" but he does use a bed reading the paper till me and the bairn come down to join him. :)
I never have any trouble sleeping on holiday either. I am normally in bed by about 12.30 and I wake when the girls do, usually around 9am, sometimes I get up earlier for an early morning swim though while it is quiet.
Hi all
Night before I go away I tend to wake up, several times, look at the clock, doze. wake, look at the clock. Then wake up again before the alarm goes off. The first night away I don't sleep very well, I keep getting up and walk around, a listen to people coming back late, shouting and slamming doors, or dragging cases when they are leaving or arriving. I tend to use ear plugs to muffle all the noise. I tend to feel tired next morning. And then try to make up the sleep on the beach or by the pool. :sun2

Dawnie-Rob :wave
Ps. I have got this to look forward to in just over two weeks!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.