Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hi niki_tam ... we have some previous discussion about the downhill bike ride in THIS topic. However it is perhaps worth pointing out that one of the members concerned promoted the company involved in almost every post on the forums so far, and was also posting from a Spanish IP address.

We would always welcome some more independent and unbiased feedback.

David :wave
Does anyone know how much it costs
I was looking on the excursions forum and it says it starts from 30 euros
http://www.thedownhillbikeride.com./
Hi, my family & I did it last July. We all enjoyed it but didn't think much of the Safari Park where you stop and get organised with the bikes and safety helmets. It is also the place where they take you for lunch before you begin the bike glide. My advice is bring your own picnic! If you can't be bothered then you can buy a bowl of soup, sandwich, mars bar, drinks etc. at "Cannibals" restaurant. This minor point aside it was a good trip and we felt we saw a different side to the commercial Benidorm area.

The bike ride itself was very enjoyable and about 90 per cent of the time you don't need to pedal so it's suitable for all levels - even the unfit like me! There are transit vans that lead and follow the group of bikes and you can opt out of riding the bike at any time to sit in the van. Everyone was encouraged to do it at their own pace (we were always last and didn't feel pressured to keep up). The scenery was very good and we found it an enjoyable trip. My 7 year old did it and said she would do it again on another holiday so that can't be bad!!
Thanks for that,it sounds a good day out
I did the Mountain Bike Excursion in the hills above Benidorm last week and can thoroughly reommend it - 24 miles but all downhill. You are picked up from your accommodation by mini bus abd taken up into the hills, and the trip is done in stages with stops for luch and drinks.

Very safety conscious and good guides, and it is suitable for kids - my 2 who are 14 and1 1 had no problems with it. If you are struggling at any time you can get back onto the bus so there is no pressure to complete it. I hadn't been on a bike for 3 years and still found it easy enough. The scenery is beautiful, and the roads are quiet. You go up to 4,200 feet and then almost freewhell all the way down. We got picked up at 9am and were back around 3.30pm so still time to relaax by the pool.

Costs 39 euros for adults and 33 for kids I think, and it was well worth it. I would definitely do it again if I went back!
My son just learned to ride a bike last year and is still a bit dodgy, would this be suitable for him. What are the hills like are they really steep. Where we live in England they are horrendous and that's why he doesn't get out much on his bike, we have to drive to cycle tracks.
We would love to do this this year. Please help.
Hi cazz - not sure it would be suitable for your son if he is still a bit dodgy -the hills do go down steeply and it can get pretty fast - I think it might be a bit scary if he is not all that confident, and it would be a bike that he wasn't used to. Not that there was any problem with traffic or anything, just the gradient.

One woman when we went took one look at the bike and the first bit of road and got straight on the mini bus and didn't go down on the bike at all!

I was a bit nervous myself and managed ok, though I was worried about my kids (who I may say did much better than me at it!!!). I do think it might be too long a trip for your lad though, and would probably make you worried bout him the whole way down. Don't mean to spoil the fun for you - but it would maybe be better when he is more confident - it is a lovely trip.
Thanks Meerkat.
We'll wait until next year then as he hasn't been on his bike since last september.
You should see the gradients where we live............scary, no wonder he doesn't like it. :shock:

Cazz
Cazz .. as an alternative, you could consider hiring bikes in the town and using them on the Levante Promenade, where there is little traffic. I think you can hire them hourly, half day, full day, or longer.

David :wave
Has anyone done the bike ride this year, if yes how would you rate it. I did it my self about 8 years ago and although I enjoyed it cant remember much about it. Looking too take my children this time aged 12 and 9, do you think it is suitable, a bit worried about the 9 year old although I have read you can ride in the van if tired.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.